1/48 KH Su-35 Flanker

Muzz

When I signed up for the GB over two years ago I planned to build the Academy Su-30 I had at the time, that's gone to a new owner and I was going to build the Kinetic Su-33 and then it was going to be the HB Su-30. However I've now settled on this kit, Kitty Hawks Su-35 Flanker. I have the set of Amur Reaver drooped resin nozzles too. 

20170925_112839.jpg

• Like 3

On 25/09/2017 at 7:51 PM, exdraken said:

Nice!

What scheme do you plan ho do?

Some eggplant Syrian warriers? Or mor a standard Flanker blue eith grey nose instead of green or white?

Im not really a fan of the eggplant scheme Werner, I like the standard scheme with the black around the canopy.

On 25/09/2017 at 10:11 PM, DaveJL said:

Nice entry, tempted by one of these myself. How is the casting on the nozzles? Thinking of a set for my Su-30.

Casting is spot on Dave, already have a standard set of their burners to use with my Su-30 or Su-33, I highly recommend them. They have just announced an updated re-release of the sets.

Muzz

• 2 weeks later...
On 27/09/2017 at 10:18 PM, Muzz said:

Casting is spot on Dave, already have a standard set of their burners to use with my Su-30 or Su-33, I highly recommend them. They have just announced an updated re-release of the sets.

Muzz

Cheers Muzz. They seem to be out of stock at the moment. Will have to wait and see if they pop up again.

• 2 weeks later...

Finally making a start on this now that my two Mig-29 builds are getting near to finished.

Sprue shots and AM.

20171021_154000.jpg

20171021_154305_edit_1508598333170.jpg

• Like 4

14 hours ago, 128fiddler said:

Nice work!

How do you accentuate the dials and knobs in the cockpit? They do come with decals but this looks much better imho

Thanks, nothing too technical just a small brush and a gentle touch. Sometimes when space allows for it I lie the brush down at 90 degrees to the plastic so it just touches the raised detail. Some of the smaller details, like the buttons arround the LCD displays, are dry brushed.

The cockpit is together now and ready to be fitted to the upper fuselage.

20171025_010655.jpg

20171025_010825_edit_1508890591051_edit_

• Like 8

Gear bays done and fuselage together........

20171105_144727.jpg

The nose gear parts are not very well engineered IMHO. Two half go together forming the two sides and roof with the two ends then being joined. You end up with a join li e right down the middle of the roof which needs attention. This didn't go too badly considering I'd already painted up the area.

20171105_112032_edit_1509893372897.jpg

The main fuselage........

20171105_112208.jpg

Mmmmm, Kitty Hawk paint call out has the multi tone operational scheme as being a 4 tone camo, with 1 grey and 3 shades of blue. Their suggesting that the lower fuselage and wings are a different pale blue from the upper fuselage is this correct?, looking at many photo's and the lower blue and the lightest upper blue appear the same as with legacy Flanker types. @Flankerman

Any help appreciated!

Murray

The multi tone operational scheme should be a three tone camo. They've painted them that way since 2011 i think.

And yes, the lightest color (light blue-grey) is the basic color. It is painted on the lower fuselage and also on the upper sides.

If you are using Akan paints it would be 73035, 73036 and 73046.

Same as with Su-27 and Su-30.

Please correct me if I am wrong.

Nice work so far!

Edited by Sanjuro
  • Like 2

Thanks for confirming the colours Sanjuro, I thought that was probably the case.:yes:

Build coming together now, main wings and air intakes on, I painted the interiors of the intakes to make things easier going forward. Also added mesh grills to the intakes, these aren't included in the kit and apparently were not fitted to early Su-35's, it being retrospective fit.

The tail fins are not fixed in place yet and will be going on after all the painting done to help get access to paint the engine cowlings.

20171108_151833.jpg

20171108_151732.jpg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, exdraken said:

Looking good !

Any issues with the wing joints?

The wings fit well in that the tab/slot system is a snug fit and lines everything up nicely. There were small gaps on both upper and lower surfaces that required filling though.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Not updated for a while, mostly due to laziness as I've been doing quite a bit of work.....

All the main camo colours on, had to do a bit of playing about with the darkest blue to tone it down a bit.

20171120_144848.jpg

20171120_144946.jpg

• Like 3

I've been doing lots of masking, a bit of airbrushing but mostly masking! This kit is crying out for a company lime New Ware Masks to release a set, I'm sure they will.

There are decals in the kit for some of the grey di-eletric panels but the colours not great on them and they don't cover every panel. Even the colour call outs miss the fact there's a grey coloured leading edge along the whole length of the wing and LERX.

20171123_151348_edit_1511570182463.jpg

• Like 1