Leo's second model - 1/72 Hawk T.Mk.1

wafu_vasco

Dear Chaps and Honoured Members of Leo's fan club,

Apologies for the delay in reporting, but the day job has recently hit me for 6 and Leo, my five year old son and the hero of this saga, is now back at school. However! The great news is that his enthusiasm for model making has not diminished since his first build of the 1/72 Hurricane and he has regularly been pestering me to get back to work. Progress has been very slow but steady with a few sessions scattered here and there over the past couple of weeks, and recently interrupted by the dreaded news that he has now discovered Warhammer war gaming. There goes my life savings. Seriously, £22.50 for a single 1/56 scale sci fi plastic soldier!?!?!? 

But I digress, here's a picture of him with the two kits which were kindly donated to him by one of Britmodeller's very own - Beard. Again, thank you so much! Below is the work so far. Leo has painted the cockpit, dry brushed the instrument panels and done an ink wash before then glueing the fuselage, wings and tailplane together. He's started the first coat of shiny red paint, which I'll get a photo of soon. As always, thanks for the truly HUGE amount of support Leo has had during his introduction to the hobby! The hobby which he regularly continues to tell me is his 'hobby for life' - his words!

1t3P85M.jpg?2

exkfiQ5.jpg

• Like 10

I hope he is about to learn 'The Way Of The Sanding Stick' learnt at an early age it will stand all the tests of time

I do not envy you now he has discovered Warthingy

Such a waste of the time he could be model making

😊

• Haha 1

• 1 month later...

Sincere apologies for not staying on top of this one, we've finally got back into progressing the Hawk and I've realised that the few photos I did take have disappeared! Anyhow, here's where we're up to at the moment. Even with the very simple paint scheme, we're finding it to be a more complicated model than the Hurricane (especially as Leo wanted it with its wheels down and cockpit open, as he has aspirations of making a display plaque) so I'm doing quite a bit more of the model this time around. Anyhow, here's where we are so far:

8yZ40gS.jpg

• Like 14

On ‎24‎/‎09‎/‎2017 at 11:47 PM, limeypilot said:

That all looks nice and square, always a big problem with my early kits!

Ian

Great work Leo! Looks might, mighty fine :-)

LOL - Getting them to look nice and square is still I problem I have!

Cheers

Iain

• Thanks 1

Go for it Leo! You are at about the same age that I started modelling. Its a great hobby and one that I have never regretted picking up, even when Mike decided that I was a Martian!

Martian

• Thanks 1

Hello Guys,

Thanks for the steady stream of encouragement for Leo, it's always appreciated. It's also great to hear that this is sparking off some fond trips down memory lane for some people. I found a couple of photos from a week or two back of some work in progress (don't worry about the second photo - that's my hand, Leo doesn't have two right hands of which one is big and hairy) and also an update of where things were up to last night. There's still a few decals to go, perhaps another ink wash, and then the base. I'm just glad that we can report on some progress to justify the generosity of Beard, who donated the kit to Leo! 

0wq5dqr.jpg

8C0vxwq.jpg

zAbLgWi.jpg

• Like 11

That is very impressive Leo! I have about 6 kits of the Red Arrows.  Only reason I haven't started them is because I am scared of the red paint, which I'm glad to see hasn't hampered yourself. Looking forward to seeing more :)

Kind Regards,

Dazz

• Thanks 1

Well, the model itself is finished - Leo's idea to add a pitot cover was fantastic, a friend recommended using a chocolate wrapper to keep it super thin and in scale. Leo painted it red and I put the stripes on, and we did all of the decals together. However, Leo wants to put it on a mini diorama base, and fortunately one of his grandfathers is a woodworker so a custom built base will be with us in a few days, ready to add some grass and paint some concrete on before possibly adding a figure or two. I've still got some old 1/72 WW2 Airfix RAF personnel in the loft which might do the job - they're soft plastic which isn't great, but as long as we paint them in modern, green coveralls and without headgear they'll hopefully look good. Anyhow, here's the model as it is:

tTZwu9l.jpg

m1mCoFC.jpg

• Like 12

As we'd say if we was in da Bronx (I am not even near) The Boy Done Good

I hated my Red Arrows Hawk but Leo obviously didn't and he's done a really good job working with a very difficult colour scheme

Well done young man

Thanks for letting us share the ride dad

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

That is very, very impressive!

I built a Red Arrows Gnat for my little sister many years ago, and I don't think it was as good as this. Very well done Leo!

Ian

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Right, we've finally got back to work and progressed a little. Leo's grandfather was kind enough to make a base for the Hawk out of a slab of mahogany. Some other relatives are slightly upset that Leo and I have spoilt this immaculate piece of wood with what we've done on top, but this is what Leo's idea was from the word go, so I'm on his side. We've cut out and glued a few pieces of wet and dry paper to the top and then spray painted them, before ink washing the cracks and adding some modelling grass to the corner. We've still got to add some maintainers, chocks and a drip tray but we're getting closer to the end product. If anybody has got any good ideas on how to scratch built 1/72 scale chocks, we're all ears! Here's some pictures of the progress, proving that Leo does some of his best work during those late weekend mornings in pyjamas, or in his Christmas jumper:

iy78Evd.jpg

HaSCslR.jpg

2jf77BG.jpg

8zMNKyF.jpg

PWDqNKX.jpg

EAP5BOP.jpg

OJ22Jb3.jpg

• Like 5