1/72 - Bristol 175 Britannia by Mach2 - released - Air Graphics sets + Canadair CP-107 Argus, CC-106 Yukon & CL-44 conv. sets by AiM

Homebee

I don't make a habit of sprue comments but those tailplane tips are very wrong. I hope the apparent fin thickness and fat nose can be corrected without too much bother. On the whole it looks a lot better than the competition. ... Wheels look quite nice  and engine /spinner fronts look promising. Twenty years ago I would have snapped up a couple of these! 

• Like 1

Air Graphics sets announced

Source: https://www.facebook.com/airgraphicmodels/posts/1136359926497875

Just received the Mach II Bristol Britannia C1 kit. The basics are there but fine detail is missing.
I will be producing some resin sets for this kit in very limited quantity.
If I can get some good internal information, I will look at cockpit and also engines/props.

24174590_1136359616497906_73874615658902

24232922_1136359613164573_91505194540175

V.P.

Edited by Homebee
  • Like 2

Don't rely too heavily on Mach 2's painting instructions: most obvious on initial sighting is the underwing serials being the wrong way round; they should read inwards from the wing tips.  I wouldn't mind a 1/72th Britannia C. Mk. 1 or 2 though........

• 2 months later...

AiM dedicated decals

Source: http://www.aim72.co.uk/page198.html

British Overseas Airways Corporation (BOAC)
Bristol 175 Britannia 102 (circa 1957) decal set

1000-TWL72030.jpg

Laker Airways
Bristol 175 Britannia 102 (circa 1968) decal set

1000-TWL72031.jpg

Royal Air Force
Bristol 175 Britannia 253 (circa 1962) decal set

1000-TWL72032.jpg

British United Airways (early livery)
Bristol 175 Britannia 307 (circa 1964) decal set

1000-TWL72033.jpg

British United Airways (later livery)
Bristol 175 Britannia 307 (circa 1968) decal set

1000-TWL72034.jpg

British Eagle Airways
Bristol 175 Britannia 308F (circa 1964) decal set

1000-TWL72035.jpg

British Overseas Airways Corporation (BOAC)
Bristol 175 Britannia 312 (circa 1959) decal set

1000-TWL72036.jpg

Monarch Airlines
Bristol 175 Britannia 312 (circa 1963) decal set

1000-TWL72037.jpg

El Al Israel Airlines
Bristol 175 Britannia 313 (circa 1957) decal set

1000-TWL72038.jpg

Canadian Pacific Airways
Bristol 175 Britannia 314 (circa 1961) decal set

1000-TWL72039.jpg

Caledonian Airlines
Bristol 175 Britannia 314 (circa 1967) decal set

1000-TWL72040.jpg

Cunard Eagle Airways
Bristol 175 Britannia 324 (circa 1963) decal set

1000-TWL72041.jpg

Laser printed decals are printed on waterslide paper, where the carrier film is very thin. Consequently each decal is fragile and it can fold or stretch during application. The carrier film also covers the complete decal sheet and each decal must be trimmed to the edge of that decal.

We therefore provide duplicate decals where economically practical, in case of accidents ! These decals must be applied to a gloss painted surface  and a protective varnish or lacquer must be applied to protect them after application.

V.P.

Edited by Homebee
  • Like 1

It's the first build article kit I've ever returned to Airfix Model World as I just didn't have the time to fix some serious issues with it. Hopefully, it was only my pre-production sample but the left wing-root stub was angled out at an alarming angle and the windows above this area stretched to form elongated ovals. This, in turn, meant that the lower fuselage line was banana shaped and top fuselage line distinctly kinked upwards, looked to me as if it had been pulled from the mould a bit early, (also misshapen prop bosses and wheels), shame as I was looking forward to building it. As I say, hopefully, it was just this example that suffered from the 'bends' and that others in the production run will be fine. Funnily enough, the editor swopped it for an Argosy which was a 100% improvement and a very nice kit, (and yes, I've built several Mach 2 kits now and I'm still here :phew:).

• Like 1

Looking at mine, the fuselage looks OK with no sign of a warp. It does sound like it has come out of the mould a bit too soon. The plastic used does seem a bit hard and inflexible. Shame as watching you do your magic on a kit would have been interesting and instructive. I am looking at the article you did on the DH88 before I start mine. 

• Like 1

Thanks Mr T, that's very kind of you. I'm glad yours is OK and you're quite right, the plastic is thick, rigid and inflexible,  reminds me of the ancient 1/96th Frog models. I was looking forward to building this one too, especially with the Air-Graphics set and RAF scheme but I guess I'll just have to enjoy a 'whistling chocolate-bomber' instead.

You should really enjoy the DH88, it's a beauty. I'd like to do a few more SBS kits when time permits, they really are state of the art resin models. 

I am looking forward to the DH88, I have got the RAF/French boxing, looks a million miles away from the Magna Marathon I am currently plodding along with. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/03/2018 at 7:48 PM, general melchett said:

It's the first build article kit I've ever returned to Airfix Model World as I just didn't have the time to fix some serious issues with it. Hopefully, it was only my pre-production sample but the left wing-root stub was angled out at an alarming angle and the windows above this area stretched to form elongated ovals. This, in turn, meant that the lower fuselage line was banana shaped and top fuselage line distinctly kinked upwards, looked to me as if it had been pulled from the mould a bit early, (also misshapen prop bosses and wheels), shame as I was looking forward to building it. As I say, hopefully, it was just this example that suffered from the 'bends' and that others in the production run will be fine. Funnily enough, the editor swopped it for an Argosy which was a 100% improvement and a very nice kit, (and yes, I've built several Mach 2 kits now and I'm still here :phew:).

Well at least I kept my Airways vac form Britannia, might be a lot easier in the long term LOL, its a shame you had to give it back Andy, I was waiting for a nice build of one to appear

• Like 1

Thanks for having faith Kev! I was really looking forward to it too, a beautiful aircraft. Good to see all the AIM decals out now too, actually I always wanted to build one finished in the glorious Monarch 'yellow peril' colours, more for nostalgia as I remember them majestically sailing over the house back in the 70's, on their way out from Luton, sometimes quite low with a very distinctive sound. If your Viccy10 is anything to go by then you'll produce another masterpiece with the Airways vac...

I'm itching to get one, but I want decent wheels for this from someone.. if they are the same as the Argosy wheels then they are no good. The only reason why I've never finished my Argosy... soon hopefully.. 

• 2 months later...
6 hours ago, Admiral Puff said:

Amen to that, brother!

That would be an easy conversion for them to make. All the spare noses and tails you could make some cool dioramas.  I want a 747 LCF, in 1/144 though, maybe they'll do one. Yes I'm dreaming.

Canadair CL-44 & CC-106 Yukon conversion sets are also in the pipe lien.

Source: https://www.facebook.com/groups/215551215532252/permalink/570848246669212/

Just to let you guys know about a future Aircraft in Miniature release that is currently in the design stage. I had the opportunity last Friday of seeing this kit evolve and it will be worth the wait. They are also doing a Yukon and CL-44 conversion as well. So plenty to look forward to.

41744461_700171460341011_245726314209109

V.P.

• Like 1