1/72 - Bristol 175 Britannia by Mach2 - released - Air Graphics sets + Canadair CP-107 Argus, CC-106 Yukon & CL-44 conv. sets by AiM

Homebee

42 minutes ago, Norman said:

i dunno what planet he's from !

Buzz Lightyear: [brings Woody face-to-face with him] But we're not on MY planet, are we?

• Like 1

Looks OK, it will have all the same Mach 2 problems, but with dedication, sweat and lots of swearing can be made into a descent model, probably still do my Airways vac kit though, the only thing that I notice is the fat look of the vertical tail, I'm sure it was never that wide

40 minutes ago, kev67 said:

can be made into a descent model

Its all down hill from there Kev !:lol:
  • Haha 1

On 10/31/2017 at 3:16 PM, Scimitar said:

If only!

If so I'll be a happy chappy.

Now I'll need to buy this and wait.

I found my photos, yes photos, of my Argus. I have to scan them then upload them here. I'll try to do that this week.

• Like 1

Great to see a 1/72nd Whispering Giant in IM form at last, OK it's Mach 2 but that's not really a deal breaker for me personally, I've seen some fantastic Argosy builds. I hate to make comments on the strength of a few photos and normally steer clear of doing so but a few folks have asked my opinion and going by initial observations I have to agree with Kev that the fin looks a little wide with a somewhat blunt leading edge That may well be the angle it was photographed at. The real thing is quite slim...

Britannia fin

Other than that and (maybe) the nose profile it looks OK to my jaded eyes and I'll be happy to have a go at one... 

I suggest we'll wait till it is available and see what has te be corrected.

May be a new nose/windscreen and tail in the aftermarket circuit like Kurt's products for the BPK 737.

Still a model you can't find anywhere else !

Saw lots of them at Rotterdam, both passenger and freighter aircraft in the 100 and 300 variant.

Thinning out fins and wings surfaces etc is pretty straightfowrard, that nose  section is what really puts me off.  I don't know if it's the way that it has been built, or even painted but the RAF example just looks wrong in that area, doesn't seem as bad with the BOAC one.

I would certainly sign up to a decent CP-107 Argus conversion!

Edited by 71chally
  • Like 1

Arghh! Really, just one isn't an option. There's the best proportioned - the Series 100 which is 10ft shorter that the Mach2 subject, and then the 12ft longer CL-44. But of course, who will be first to convert to a CL-44-0 Guppy (Meridian Air Cargo or Heavy Lift)? One sure thing about Mach 2 kits - cutting them up to make somthing else never seems like vandalism the way it would with hyper-accurate Japanese stuff.

Can a Vanguard really be that far away now? Telford 2019?

I'm hoping Mach2 give us a Vanguard, and then if we are really lucky... a Trident.

Regarding the CL-44 though, a whole new cockpit needed? I would love to build a CL-44, some great schemes, plus the hinged tail.. lots of options.

5 minutes ago, Radleigh said:

Regarding the CL-44 though, a whole new cockpit needed? I would love to build a CL-44, some great schemes, plus the hinged tail.. lots of options.

I am always amazed at how every modeller has an 'achillies heel' Radleigh :banghead: and yes, it is often the transparencies (with me it was always the decals - a kit could be 5 bob and an aftermarket decal sheet might be 17/6, - old money, you work it out, but a big lump out of the 10/- pw pocket money ).
One will happily lengthen the fuselage (in two places), hinge the tail, yet the new cockpit shape is a problem. Its a Mach 2 kit, man! The cockpit won't be the right shape whatever model is built!

But what a model for 2019's Airliner group build. Its got your name on it......

Well, I've a huge soft spot for anything big, British, and multiple engines... which is why I'm getting a Britannia (the Mach2 part doesn't bother me ;) ) .. but I just love the CL-44's and Skymonster. Isn't the CL-44 glazing different though to a Britannia? So, regardless whether it's Mach2 or Airfix, it will need to be changed. Not sure I fancy doing that, but maybe....

Blimey ...you blokes, !!!!!!!!

We haven't even got the Britannia yet and you want more, more , more !!!!!

Well some say greed is good

Now

When do you think they will do the Vanguard and the Trident, before or after the VC 10 ??? 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Radleigh said:

Well, I've a huge soft spot for anything big, British, and multiple engines... which is why I'm getting a Britannia (the Mach2 part doesn't bother me ;) ) .. but I just love the CL-44's and Skymonster. Isn't the CL-44 glazing different though to a Britannia? So, regardless whether it's Mach2 or Airfix, it will need to be changed. Not sure I fancy doing that, but maybe....

How about a nice Canadian air force Yukon, just two extra eyebrow windows.

17 hours ago, Radleigh said:

Isn't the CL-44 glazing different though to a Britannia?

If I remember correctly, the Britannia cockpit windows didn’t meet FAA requirements. As Canadair were hoping to sell CL-44s to US carriers, they did a deal with Convair and bought the design of the CV880/990 cockpit windows.

Richard

• Like 1

7 hours ago, ho590hm said:

Given mould sizes, I think we will get Hastings, Andover, Beverley before Belfast and VC10.  Just a hint, Didier....

Howard

I've spoke with Didier some time ago, and he won't do a Andover as S&M Models brought one out and he don't want to step on any toes, so I assume now they have a Hastings out, it'll be the same for that.

So maybe Beverley next... Belfast is out the question, trust me I've asked loads. Will have to battle my Magna one, one day.

On ‎07‎/‎11‎/‎2017 at 2:58 PM, slufdriver said:

CV880/990 cockpit windows.

Not sure about FAA and  Brit windows but  Northeast got a US Reg even though they cancelled later.. The Canadair Yukon/ CL44-D6 (also built under license ) had Brit windows and they ended up on the civvy market.

They're not CV-880/990 windows either. Its one of those folklore things that have done the rounds for years.  If you look they aren't the same but the shape of some are similar. The front center is tapered, thin at  the top, CVs are rectangles.

CV-990

https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Convair_CV-990-30A-6,_American_Airlines_JP6850262.jpg

CL44...Conroy Sky Monster

http://www.oldprops.ukhome.net/Canadair CL44.htm

CL44-D4 In BOAC service ! Leased from Seaboard World in the early/mid 60s, saw it a few times.

http://www.pprune.org/tech-log/364411-boac-canadair-cl-44-a.html

CL44-D6 Yukon

https://barrieaircraft.com/photo/canadair-cl-44-yukon-01.html

• Like 2