BR Sandard Class 9F 92220 Evening Star

nimrod54

BR Standard Class 9F

92220 Evening Star

Dapol Kitmaster OO

I have recently completed this for the Made in Britain II Group Build and thought that I would share my efforts here. I used the Dapol Kitmaster Evening Star kit and  removed the moulded handrails before replacing them with Alan Gibson parts, I also replaced the simpler sections of pipework with Albion Alloys micro-tubing. The decals are from Fox Decals and nameplates are Modelmaster UK etch. I brush painted the green with Phoenix Precision BR Loco Green (Post '54). The couplings are from Smiths and other additional parts are GEM white metal.

I then decided to have a look for some crew figures and came across a company called Modelu based in Wales, and they offer 3D printed crew figures in several scales. In the past I have bought crew and had difficulty getting them to fit, but these were perfect and once painted up they add that bit of life to the footplate. 

Future plans include the making of a small diorama with the loco running light, so at some point in the future you will probably see it making an appearance there too.

36570656183_d72bba1ea4_c.jpg

by John Leigh, on Flickr

36570656903_20aa9afd39_c.jpg

by John Leigh, on Flickr

37210971432_e2009bdb84_c.jpg

by John Leigh, on Flickr

36570657533_7503144a1a_c.jpg

by John Leigh, on Flickr

36570660543_9a3dabae7e_c.jpg

by John Leigh, on Flickr

• Like 16
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Lovely work - it’s a shame railway modelling is sort of hidden away down here under the ‘other modelling’ category. I think it would be good to get railway related work it’s own forum space - same as maritime, Sci-fi, and so forth.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Bandsaw Steve said:

Lovely work - it’s a shame railway modelling is sort of hidden away down here under the ‘other modelling’ category. I think it would be good to get railway related work it’s own forum space - same as maritime, Sci-fi, and so forth.

Thanks for the comment Steve. I agree that it would be nice if Railway Modelling had its own category area, after all it is a popular area of model making. But I guess the fact some aspects of the genre can be included within other categories, Figures, Vignette, Vehicles etc, plus the amount of traffic generated (approx. 190 topics since 2009) would mean that this would not be a viable option at the present moment.

Having worked in the aircraft industry my main area of interest is in things with wings and up until last year I hadn't done anything railway related for 30+ years. However, I like to step outside my comfort zone once in a while and this model, along with City of Truro and the small N gauge Vignette that I completed last year, have gone some way towards scratching that itch. It is not the end my railway related modelling though, as I have a Deltic Prototype DP1 that was a third build started in the Made in Britain II GB to complete. I suppose I should continue the WIP thread here now that the GB has ended.

Cheers