Short S.23 Empire flying boat

So do you think the multicolour basecoat was worth doing?

From here it, as you say, doesnt show but that is a function of photography anyway, most things look better in real life

Glad you tried it, its been a darned long time since I used the technique

Blimey, it was back in the mid eighties wow

9 hours ago, bootneck said:

I have learned something and tried something different so that cannot be a bad thing

That's a very good thing in my opinion! We should always try something new or learn a new technique in each of our builds!

Though the picture doesn't show the shade differences resulting from the underlying colours, the overall NMF looks good :thumbsup:

Cheers

Jaime

Looking at the model in daylight, the shades are barely visible and I think that I overcooked the topcoat a little too much. I've cast two cowlings so far, one full and the other just the copper ring front, and hope to cast some engines shortly.  Photo's to follow later.

Mike

EDIT:  The mould release agent for the engine mould didn't take.  It is an old can, or it was just too cold yesterday in the shed.  I'll get a new can of release agent then make new male/female moulds and try again next week.  The single piece moulds for the cowlings worked fine and I shall cast two more of the full cowlings for the remaining engines.

empire_flying_boat_30_engine_mould_faile

• Like 2

Looking fantastic mike. That Halfords stuff has come up really well. Enjoying watching this one progress. Also - love the moulding. Must try that myself - looks incredibly satisfying. 

Edited by ajmm

Thanks for the encouraging comments, I do appreciate them. 

I have managed to sort out the engines and cowlings and I am trying to do the starboard outer engine mount without its cowlings, as if in a maintenance setting:

empire_flying_boat_31_engines_moulded.jp

I had to reshape that mount so it now needs repainting, along with  much of the upper surfaces again, to make it look right.  Here it is in a dry fit of how that could look:

empire_flying_boat_33_engine_fitted.jpg

It doesn't look much at the moment but I'm beginning to feel  that I'm actually progressing with this now.  I should be able to proceed onto the doors and hatches and then the beaching gear next.

cheers

Mike

• Like 5

Good idea showing one engine under maintenance: it will make for a more dynamic presentation of the model.

Looking forward to the next steps!

Cheers

Jaime

• 3 weeks later...

Hi everyone, sorry for the long absence on this, the group build tray had to be put away for the festivities but it has now been restored to its proper place again, ready to continue.

Decals have been put on the upper and lower wing areas and I am about to start on the fuselage decals.

empire_flying_boat_36_decal_underwing.jp

Here is another view, just to show all the stuff currently on the go at the moment:

empire_flying_boat_35_decal_underwing.jp

It is our wedding anniversary tomorrow, thirty-two years, so probably won't be allowed get the chance to do much then and, as for new years day... :drink:  :headphones:  well :tired:

So, I would like to take this opportunity to wish you all a Happy New Year!  :cheers:

Mike

• Like 5

Agh!  had a little accident, the letter G on one of the decals disintegrated as I applied it :doh:  and I don't have a spare.

empire_flying_boat_37_broken_decal.jpg

There will now be a short interlude whilst I try and make a replacement decal.   :headphones:  :whistle:

• Like 3
  • Sad 2

The model with the decals is looking very good.

Sorry to know about the self disintegrating decal. Maybe you could take a picture of the already applied "G",  scale it to the correct size and print it to decal paper.  Or using a letter of the right font in a word processor and print it to decal paper.

Cheers

Jaime

Yes, already got that underway.   Fortunately, I had taken a scan of the decal sheet (see first post)  before I cut it up and was able to draw a fresh G-ADUY around the original.

This is how it looks drawn in Inkscape:

decal_sheet_empire_c.jpg

I shall print it off tomorrow (presuming wife's permission when I give her the sob story) onto a decal sheet,  then seal it with fixer ready for applying it the following day; New Year's day (again, subject to swmbo acceptance!).

Mike

I'm in charge really

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

The decal has been printed and sealed, ready for placing on the model.  Other decals are 'just in case' backups.

empire_flying_boat_38_new_decals.jpg

Nearly there...  another fortnight should do it!  :frantic:

empire_flying_boat_40_white_background.j

Mike :bounce:

Edited by bootneck
Photo changed to a light background
  • Like 7

On 30/12/2017 at 1:59 PM, bootneck said:

Hi everyone, sorry for the long absence on this, the group build tray had to be put away for the festivities but it has now been restored to its proper place again, ready to continue.

Decals have been put on the upper and lower wing areas and I am about to start on the fuselage decals.

empire_flying_boat_36_decal_underwing.jp

Here is another view, just to show all the stuff currently on the go at the moment:

empire_flying_boat_35_decal_underwing.jp

It is our wedding anniversary tomorrow, thirty-two years, so probably won't be allowed get the chance to do much then and, as for new years day... :drink:  :headphones:  well :tired:

So, I would like to take this opportunity to wish you all a Happy New Year!  :cheers:

Mike

I DO like that model board... the Shorts, 2 Cats and a Hawk? And all 1/144!  Lovely stuff. 

What are the vehicles and other assorted airfield gubbins? N scale stuff? 

The replacement decals turned out ok. The model is a beauty. What remains to be done? Looks almost finished.

Cheers

Jaime

13 hours ago, Murdo said:

I DO like that model board... the Shorts, 2 Cats and a Hawk? And all 1/144!  Lovely stuff.  What are the vehicles and other assorted airfield gubbins? N scale stuff? 

Hi Murdo,

The Hawk is an Ozmods 1:144 kit with homemade tailfin decal.  The vehicles are general N gauge or 1:144 scale items that I like to add into a diorama setting.

layout_4_vehicles_for_diorama.jpg

Front, left to right:

GMC 2.5t truck by Arrowhead; Bulldozer by Lychett Manor;  US Jeep by Brengun;  Ford-Ferguson aircraft tractor by Liliput Air Force 1:144.

Back row:

BAe Hawk by Ozmods;  figures by Preiser; Albion trucks by Matador Models;  railway barrows by Shire Scenes.  The work platform is a scratchbuild

Mike

• Like 2

You're a right drama queen you, ooh dear the sky fell in!

You ol' beggar, you had it covered anyway

And very good that replacement looks too

Shorty is looking very fine Mike, well done sir

How are you these days?

Ha ha! you mean I am a right diorama queen don't you?? :D  Thinking about it, I could have added a very slight blue tinge to the replaced decal but it is on and sealed now.

I'm fine Bill, thanks for asking.  No sign of the heart  problems since the op; also I have a new-found enthusiasm to build things, especially in 1:144 scale.  I just wish I had a new-found wealth to pay for everything on my wish list!! :rofl:

Mike

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

That's about it for the Empire C.  There's not much more I can do in the time left.

The engine cowling has been left open on one engine, plus various doors and hatches are open as the model will be used in a future diorama setting.

empire_flying_boat_42_completed.jpg

These images will be placed into the Gallery later.

empire_flying_boat_44_completed.jpg

empire_flying_boat_48_completed.jpg

Thanks for looking in and I appreciate the comments and advice received throughout.  I had better get on and finish the two Catalinas in the short time that is left!

cheers

Mike

• Like 11

Thanks Jaime, 

I have just checked and this is my first completed aircraft build since 2013, :cry:  which was a Belvedere helicopter also for a GB.  This must be a worse record than that set by  @Mike:facepalm:

Mike

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Glad to know the GB helped you complete a build! :)

My productivity is not too good as well: I've just completed a build in 2017... and I've been finishing three per year in the previous years.

Looking forward to the pictures in the Gallery and seeing your Catalinas finished as well. Do you think you can manage?

Cheers

Jaime