Short S.23 Empire flying boat

This will be my subject for this group build:

empire_flying_boat_001_instructions1.jpg

There are three sheets of vacformed pieces plus a set of props, wheels and struts in white metal:

empire_flying_boat_003_fuselage_halves.j

empire_flying_boat_004_wings_upper.jpg

empire_flying_boat_005_wings_and_floats.

The letters on the decal sheet appear to be black; however, other references show these to be blue.  I may have to make my own decals in the correct colour.

empire_flying_boat_006_decals_and_white_

I have a set of Aeroclub engine cowlings which I had set aside for this build and will hopefully enhance the model.

empire_flying_boat_007_aeroclub_engine_c

This kit has been stored in the loft for quite a few years so the first thing to do is give the plastic a thorough wash with warm soapy water, to clear and grease and fingerprints etc.  Then comes the tedious phase, to cut out and sand off all the unwanted residue around the  parts before I can start any gluing.

Mike

• Like 15

1 minute ago, Rob G said:

.........and with such a pretty girl too, one that epitomises the grace and beauty of the era.

Ha! that's before I get my ham-fisted mitts on it!  :analintruder: I hope the finish will have some semblance of that grace and beauty....  but don't hold your breath! :D

Mike

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Hi Mike,

Welcome to the GB! It's a beautiful flying boat indeed! I wish you the best of luck and look forward to seeing it taking shape.

Cheers

Jaime

• 2 weeks later...

I have made a start by giving the parts a spray with black paint.  This will aid me in identifying when to stop sanding off the residue plastic.

empire_flying_boat_07.jpg

The aim is to sand down until the white edges disappear.

empire_flying_boat_10.jpg

This view shows the residue has been filed away and no white edge is left. This means I have reached the correct shape for that part.

empire_flying_boat_08.jpg

Once the parts have been filed to shape, I then give them all a light sanding with wet 'n dry to remove the black off the surface. 

Here, the fuselage has been done and the wings are partially sanded.  Note that this can be useful as any panel lines and windows are left with a pre-shaded effect.

empire_flying_boat_13.jpg

That's it for now.  I hope to be able to do more after the weekend.

Thanks for looking.

Mike

• Like 18

That's a good tip.  I have one 2nd hand vac with a mist coat of grey primer on it.  I thought maybe it was the manufacturer to make it look less vac-like and thus less frightening but perhaps the previous owner had a similar idea to you.

C-class are lovely looking boats, I look forward to seeing yours completed.

Cheers

Will 

Hello Mike,

Great choice too !!

Will follow with interest !

And No I do not dream of a 1/48 C Class !

Good luck with that lady !

sincerely.

corsaircorp

• Haha 1

Ooh Betty...  I got a little problem!

Taking some measurements, I find that the kit wingspan is about 5mm too narrow. :undecided: The drawing on the sheet below matches the actual measurements fine, so it is the kit that is the problem.

empire_flying_boat_14.jpg

A similar issue, although not so obvious in this view, is with the fuselage width as that is about 2mm too narrow.  This could be down to my sanding :shrug: although I was very careful not to over do it. 

empire_flying_boat_15.jpg

The variance appears to be at the centre of the wing so, to get the engine placements and ailerons line up with the drawing, I shall need to slice the wing down the centre and insert a slab of plastic. 

empire_flying_boat_16.jpg

I may also have to re-open the fuselage and insert a piece there as well; otherwise I don't think it will match with corrected wing root positions.

I may be some time with this. :crosseyed:

Mike

• Like 5

Or just delete your previous post and just carry on building the kit as supplied?  We probably won’t notice in the final result.

cheers

Will

• Like 2

Sometimes we can go a bit too far with our obsession for accuracy... But you should do as you think is best. If you won't be happy with a finished model having a bit shorter wingspan, by all means rectify it!

Either way, I'm looking forward to the next instalment.

Cheers

Jaime

Ha ha, me? :huh:  an accurist? :rofl:  I am usually happy that the wings are on the right way round!  I thought I would put a little extra effort into this as it is for a GB.   I can see the point that Will and you make so I shall save myself the effort and continue with kit as produced.

Thanks both for your advice. :clap2:

Mike

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Hello Mike, I think that is probably a good idea!

I liked your method of spraying before sanding, it seems so much better than drawing a line round the parts, and preshading to boot! What's not to like?

Ray

Hi Mike,

I'm currently building (or trying to build) two Welsh Models 1/144 vacforms, a DH Devon and a Scimitar. Both kits - which are quite small - are very slightly shy of the drawings and one states "Drawing not to scale".

A previous build, a 1/144 SA Twin Pioneer had the same issue so I don't think Welsh Models use an accurate scale drawing.

I may be corrected by someone but whilst the drawing is close I wouldn't base the model on it, just use it as a rough guide.

• Like 1

Thanks Murdo, I'll work to similar view for the rest of this build.  I also have a Dove/Devon, Scimitar and Twin-pin in my stash and I'd like to see your Twin-pin if you have taken photo's?

cheers

Mike

Hi Murdo,

that really is a smart looking model. :worthy: Thank you for posting these.:clap2:

Mike.

must resist digging the kit out and starting it straight away! :nono:

• 3 weeks later...

I've hit a bit of a stumbling block on the choice of finish for this Empire C.  I would like to complete my model with beaching gear/wheels deployed as in this view; however, that scheme appears to be in NMF and I've never tried applying that.  I don't want to mess up the model with a bad paint job.  My other choice would be to have it in a waterline setting, as in this view of a camouflaged version.  Oh decisions, decisions. :undecided:

Mike

• Like 2