Deleted

I know this is no comfort Tony - but compared to my skill set these still look good to me - so don't despair - deep breaths and counting to 10 may still save the day :D

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

If it's any consolation I had paint woes with enamels. Tried a different thinner and didn't go well. Resprayed it and all seemed well until dirty great paint creep 'neath the masking. Resprayed that and ready for decals but that blue and white tail band was a sod. It broke, and so did the model. Never in a long time has such a series of woes befell such a simple kit. My Classic Airframes Seahawk I'm on with at the moment is going great guns (touch wood).Who'd have thought it?

• Sad 1

It’s not horrendous mate, I know you put a lot of effort in but don’t let it beat you. All you need is a tarp on the wing and a figure with an airbrush in his hands. 

Seriously though, some of us can only aspire to your mistake level... it’s all good really!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Cheers lads made me feel like a right drama queen :D 

Sorry for moaning... 

Anyways whilst I decide what to do about the varnish situation I did a bit of weathering, trying out something new (for me anyways) so if it goes wrong (sorry) then no biggie. 

So these are water based acrylic washes, having used enamel/oils for the past 5 years this is alien. 

I bought these two a while back but not got around to using them yet (scared?) 

I bought a dark grey and dark brown, two colours which should prove versatile and/or generic enough for most applications and if I like them can get more shades...

They are surprisingly thick out of the bottle, (compared to enamel panel liners say) and don’t flow nicely untill thinned with a touch of water. For the bays I brushed it over the whole area, then using a fine brush drew and swiped it away from the flat areas as it was drying to avoid tide marks. Strange working in small sections at a time with this as opposed to oil washes where you can do the whole model inside and out then go back at your leisure and blend it in. Guess its all down to the drying times. 

On the exterior I only used the washes here and there to bring out certain filler ports and bolts etc, as the main panel lines are prominent enough, apart from the undersides of the tail planes which are surprisingly shallow, and in the exhaust flow, so these were darkened. Another area I used the dark grey was along all the hinge lines of the control surfaces top and bottom, as they were quite wide and showed alot of green in them. 

The dark brown was used on the U/C legs, with the dark grey on the oleos. 

A few pics to expand on all that waffle: 

U/C bits. 

ABFC98_E7-9_B1_B-4_F9_E-8_AEA-1_EF369_A2

Bays. 

5_DB8358_A-555_D-40_E6-_AD5_E-1_DCDCFFFF

C3_D5_F87_E-_B063-4330-_B502-1_B44_FD903

Control surface hinge lines along topside of wing:

DAFB6_FD1-59_E6-422_E-929_B-3_A3_BB04_EB

Thanks for looking. 

Ps got an idea to fix the finish, will try out later/tomorrow and go old school with some alclad enamel clear coats 👍🏿

• Like 18

Great work, skill and recovery there Tony.  It does feel like a proper kick in the nuts when what can be considered the easiest part of the build goes wrong!!  Its those times when we need to take a step back, grab a cold one and look at it again with fresh eyes.  Can't wait to see the final reveal of this lovely little jet.

Phil

• Thanks 1

Tony, there was a poster published a long time ago called: "Murphy's Laws of Life". One of them is, of course, " If things can go wrong; they will." The other is: "If things are going well; you have obviously forgotten something!" However, as a couple of the guys above have stated; it is how you recover that is the important matter. I agree with AdrianMF, Nigel, and, booty about the build and, your recovery. You have done an excellent job so far. I liked the washes; quite good for a first time use of new product. Look forward to the next step.

Joe

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

So while I was doing the weathering with those washes, the plane was growing on me again and I was trying to think how to smooth out the finish. 

As mentioned in previous post thats when I remembered I had enamel alclad clears in the drawer. 

These should smooth out better rather than have the risk of ‘tearing’ an acrylic varnish when sanding. 

So it had several dryish dusting type coats of flat, probably more to build up the surface. Ended up being quite rough and matt, sucking all the light in to help hide the flaws in the acrylic varnish underneath it. Plus it seemed there was enough material built up over those blisters and bubbles to allow some sanding too. 

Flat clear on, two angles. 

4_B79_C16_A-6_D69-4_BE9-8647-9_A36_ACC99

This below is the most sheen I could catch with the surface. 

61_B9632_E-01_E4-4_B54-81_DE-94_B69_FD24

Then it was out with the 4k micromesh, and it had a good sanding all over, ended up cutting right through on each side next to cockpit on some bad blisters. Overall looks quite windswept from the sanding.

14_BB2279-7973-42_FC-_A88_F-6_CCDE50_C7_

F52_C9255-_D294-4478-_AA51-_CB3_A0_C4167

So then it was time to break out the colourcoats again and do some touch ups over the damage shown above. I got the RLM81 out too and did some spot repairs to hide some of the smaller blisters over that colour, and also to make it more brown as where I had ‘faded’ it a bit  too much with some shading at the end of the main paintjob it had gone rather pink. 

Damage now touched in with my 0.2mm needle. 

8307_CB48-9325-40_CA-9_F19-1_A847_DB5_EC

07671315-08_B1-434_B-959_A-858_C0_B88630

So now it had a very inconsistent finish, which for a beat up old plane looked quite cool, with matt ‘streaked’ paint from the sanding of the varnish and the fresh satin touch ups. 

But seeing as its a late war plane and a small scale I wanted a more uniform finish. 

So it was out with the alclad semi-matt to level it all off and give it the slightest sheen to look like a metal surface. I think dead flat luftwaffe planes look boring. 

As it stands now in its semi matt coat. I’m back in love with it (gay!!!)

Will leave it to cure (it’s probably got half a mm of enamel varnish on it!) for a few days in airing cupboard over the weekend for final assy early next week. 

0_AED7463-9750-4545-9_DB9-1_ED751_E382_E

1_A1383_F7-02_DC-4_E4_F-_B188-3_E5_B4_E9

F2148_F35-_E530-4_A01-9987-0471620_E6_E0

844_D17_A4-8289-4668-_A861-_A9197545106_

Thanks for looking (and your patience!) 

• Like 12

That’s looking rather tasty. Sorry to hear of the woes with the varnishing so am glad that it’s now all sorted. As to the blisters near the cockpit after micromeshing I would have been tempted to ‘grot it up’ a bit with matt aluminium or the like to suggest a hard life.

Good job

Trevor

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Jamie @ Sovereign Hobbies said:

That is a fantastic recovery Tony.

Did this initial clearcoat of yours just go on lumpy, or did it react with my paint somehow?

No it wasn’t your paint at all Jamie mate, as once the enamel paintjob was done and cured she was coated in ak gauzy stuff as a pre decal gloss. 

Once the decals were done and I sealed them is where it went wrong. 

The mig satin varnish didn’t like the humidity/psi/temperature/colour underpants I had on or something that day because it dried all lumpy and pebbly. In a panic to recover it thats when I drowned it in aquagloss, which dissolved and crazed the not fully cured mig satin I guess. 

We live and learn! 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Max Headroom said:

That’s looking rather tasty. Sorry to hear of the woes with the varnishing so am glad that it’s now all sorted. As to the blisters near the cockpit after micromeshing I would have been tempted to ‘grot it up’ a bit with matt aluminium or the like to suggest a hard life.

Good job

Trevor

Thanks pal, much appreciated! 

Chipping in 72nd scale isn’t really my cup of tea, but it may be for other folk. 

Doing scratches that we could see here in scale would be like flakes of paint that are hand size coming off.

Perhaps on a japanese pacific plane but not on an end of days Reich machine that flew a few times if that. 

Each to his own 👍🏿

• Like 3

That's looking splendid and well done on the recovery (told you it wasn't that bad).

I will be watching what colour underpants I wear when I next have to apply varnish.

Cheers,

Nigel

• Haha 3

Nice to see the modelling gods have waved their ‘fix it’ wand over your 262. If I PM you my home address Tony, would you mind sending them my way... better tell ‘em to bring a bigger wand as well!! 

Cheers and well played.. Dave. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Gerrardandrews said:

Really great save, you would think, in 2017, model makers, would have a go to varnish, that would be 100% every time😊

True that mate, and I do, but I am a sucker for trying out new products :( 

• Like 1

MR Paint is the one I use- I’ve got the gloss, satin and matt. They are as thin as water and spray really well. I’ve not had any pebbling or anything horrible. I used to use the Tamiya ones, but their matt varnish always pebbled to a degree, and then one day wrecked an Eduard EV that I’d lovingly lozenged. I tried the Alclad ones, but I had some that never dried and stayed sticky. MR varnishes are acrylic lacquers but haven’t destroyed any base coats so far. They’re pretty bombproof once dry, as well. They aren’t kind to your lungs, mind. 

I really feel for you with your varnish problem, and it's great that you got it sorted out ok. I, also, recently had a bad experience with varnish. Here's the link to my post on the subject:

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/235022860-old-dog-new-tricks-part-deux-172-trumpeter-f-105d-thunderchief/&page=4

• Thanks 1

So the last few bits being done, order below a bit out of sequence but hopefully comes across ok. 

Should get around to take some pics for an RFI over the weekend. 

Edges of the cockpit touched in with dark grey. Not bothered about seam in rear bulkhead as won’t be seen with a closed canopy. Also superfabric belts had a brown wash to tone them down a touch because they were very bright. 

88383_A62-_DD36-43_B1-_BEB1-_AC3_E75_C2_

Consoles only really had a wash and some details picked out. Most of this won’t be seen anyways. Canopy fixed with gators grip. 

BD5_AAA3_A-643_D-4_F67-_BE1_C-_FDC455805

0.3 mm hole drilled and uschi fine rigging in the rear glazing frame with the tiniest bit of CA. Also hole drilled through in fuselage for stretched black sprue. Just dropped in for now and will be trimmed and fixed to line later. 

C914_AFEF-_C438-4_ACF-_BE89-2_C2_D4_FD4_

96_D83_C1_A-_B407-4_B00-_A12_F-4_B90367_

Line across to fin top. At the tautness required to match thickness of sprue.  Then the sprue lead in trimmed and attached. Its just dangling down into the fuselage hole. Not glued to avoid sagging/pulling the top line 👍🏿

110_A3_A85-4999-48_FF-9_AD6-7_B38_F260_A

Nav lights based in sliver. 

482_A568_D-6430-4_C35-_BC98-1_D7438090_B

Then clear colours. Also @Darby used a pin to replace the snapped pitot you noticed. Just a butt join with CA so was filed across the end to key it for grip (plastic probe had a sanding stick across the end of it too) 

0_F8_BBCF5-7_D26-455_C-_AB52-1_E4_A8_F1_

Then a smidge of ‘signs of use’ Pigments mainly. 

Cannons 

543_D2_C73-8_EDF-4_A24-888_A-_EB5_F9_CA6

Some ground dirt in hubs, edges of wheel doors and some thrown up by the tires. Some general underside streaks too. 

49_DE76_E7-81_CA-45_CA-9329-2851_CED81_D

1_FBBC87_C-583_C-4_EDC-_A42_D-5_AF53_EB2

15_E1_B59_D-6_BE5-4_E6_A-_A165-2330569_C

Thanks for looking. 

Hopefully next post will be a link to its RFI!

Cheers, Tony. 

• Like 5