1/32 F-16 Double Bill! *FINISHED*

Alan P

• 2 weeks later...
tn_IMAG1403tn_IMAG1408

It's a moment of relief when the masking comes off and everything's come out okay!

Especially pleased the walkway lines came out well. I backed them up with Eduard stencil masks for the walkway/no step markings:

tn_IMAG1406tn_IMAG1407

Turkish one seems to be the furthest ahead, so I went ahead and finished it first.

tn_IMAG1405

GE nozzle finished:

tn_IMAG1413

The canopy came out really well in my opinion - maybe a bit too sparkly but just the right shade:

tn_IMAG1410

I used a mix of 20% Tamiya Clear Yellow, 5% Tamiya Gold, and 25% X-22 Gloss mixed with 50% Tamiya thinners and sprayed several light coats. Once dry, I oversprayed with a mix of 25% Clear Orange, 25% X-22 Clear Gloss and 50% Thinner. I'll definitely be using this for my Italeri F-35 (coming soon, spoiler alert!)

Alan

• Like 1

Pressing ahead with the Turkish one:

tn_IMAG1414

Nice tail art! The downside of this scheme is that I don't have any decals for the Block 50+, so with the agreement of the customer, I'm finishing it in the "old" F-16D scheme which i think looks a lot better anyway! I made up a serial no. from other decals - the Turkish Block 50+ are built locally and have serial numbers that begin with order year as per US practice, and the first batch have serials that begin with 10-** So please don't go correcting me because I know, okay?!

Decalling complete:

tn_IMAG1415

I also went ahead and did all the ordnance in one go for both aircraft, including the swappable stores:

tn_IMAG1416tn_IMAG1419tn_IMAG1421

Including the stencils, I think I've laid over 400 individual decals! :boom:

Alan

For some reason, I stopped taking photos as I was trying to get this finished by Monday. So we can time-lapse ahead to the finished article!

tn_IMAG1432

I'm very pleased with the cockpit, especially the Wide Angle Raster (WAR) HUD

24787324057_ee317a90a1_b.jpg

38947455594_a3645a8735_b.jpg

Ordnance - the second pylon on each wing and the centreline station have magnetic attachments to allow changing the loads:

tn_IMAG1435tn_IMAG1438tn_IMAG1439

Airbrakes and parapack:

tn_IMAG1436

Underside:

tn_IMAG1442

Seats:

tn_IMAG1448

Flashy canopy:

tn_IMAG1449

Finished article!

tn_IMAG1450

tn_IMAG1451

I'll get some better pictures tomorrow in the daylight.

Alan

Edited by Alan P

• 1 month later...

Hi again, long time no post!

Both models are finished and now reside with their new owner. I'll add the remaining building steps for the sake of completeness.

The Norwegian one turned out better in my opinion. Here she is getting decalled:

tn_IMAG1452

Here's the interception searchlight fitted:

tn_IMAG1455

After the flat coat:

tn_IMAG1458

I thought the surface detail came out nicely:

tn_IMAG1459

Though overshadowed by the bizarrely good Tamiya kit, the Academy makes a worthy addition.

tn_IMAG1460

All done!

Alan

With the exterior complete, I finished off the interior:

tn_IMAG1461tn_IMAG1463

The nozzle is entirely out of the box - I was surprised how good the fit was:

tn_IMAG1464

Just the finishing touches - airbrakes:

tn_IMAG1473

And the canopy and gun staining:

tn_IMAG1472

Both models finished and ready for transport!

tn_IMAG1467

tn_IMAG1468

Hope you enjoyed the journey - I'm taking a quick break and then it's on with the Tamiya to build a Triple Nickel F-16C based at Aviano in the early 2000s.

All the best,

Alan