FRS.1 Sea Harrier front wheel whell

Zagor

Hello all,

I'm getting ready to start Kinetic FRS.1 kit, and one thing is not very clear to me.

Should front wheel well (nose leg) be blanked off with plate or is it open all the way up?

Kinetic wheels well is "very deep" all the way up to engine compressor fan housing.

Later version Harriers have plate that covers this area so nose gear housing is box type, but although I have SAM Datafile about Sea Harrier and several walkarounds

I'm not sure have this area looks like. I found one picture of FA.2 from museum that shows this area exposed, but it look like plate was there, but is now.missing.

On various builds of Sea Harrier  models from 1/72 to 1/24, both solutions are present so I'm not sure what is correct.

I used to own a GR.3 cockpit, on that there was certainly a roof to the main part of the nose wheel bay, but further aft just above where the nose wheel leg is mounted it may have been an open area, it was quite difficult to see up into that area.  

I can double check on an FA.2, but will be a few days.

Edit,

Just looked at a couple of bad photographs of the area on the GR.3, and it looks basically as I said above,  there is a roof to the wheel well then it looks like a deep void (into the fuselage structure) literally above the nose wheel leg mount.  The retraction jack goes up into that void.  It is a very small area and very hard to see because of its position over the nose wheel leg, in fact with the main doors closed it would be impossible to see that far back and up

Edited by 71chally
revised info, wheel bay completely aft of cockpit bulkhead
  • Like 2

@Zagor, this might not be a lot of use to you but I have a customer in Leeds who has an FRS1 parked on display in their car park.  It probably will be at least a month before I next visit them but I would be more than happy to take my camera and take a snap for you.

Kind regards,

Neil (newbie)

Edited by neilfergylee
FRS2 > FRS1
  • Like 1

38 minutes ago, bentwaters81tfw said:

Take a look in our Walkaround section.

The third set of photos show the nose gear bay towards the end of that section.

Awesome detail photos! Thank you so much for sharing them! Perfect views of the details often overlooked in walkarounds shot by non-model builders.

Mike