Wessex HC2 Crab Cabs Pt II (Fly Wessex - why on earth did I?)

hendie

Fold the tail.  Blades too, probably.  One trans door open MAX.  The “everything open” builds always strike me as a little bit “look at me and my amazing modelling skill”, rather than a realistic representation of a real cab.  Real aircraft only have everything opened up when they are very deep maintenance - at whoch point they also tend to have a lot of bits renoved altogether.

Just my view.

Bothe Wessi lovely, obviously.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2

29 minutes ago, hendie said:

I've gone to all the trouble of making the tail fold gubbins and I'd like to show that,

Exactly.

If you have the display room,how about like this? (Bell 47 and Jetranger optional)

helis.jpg

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

I agree, for what it's worth, with ExFAAWAFU, the more natural look is only a few doors open. I personally leave a door open on a helicopter daily service only if I've got to return to replenish a system. Working around the helicopter during the service, I close the panel once I've finished inside i.e. closing the nose door and engine access doors once I've inspected the engines, coupling gearbox and nose door area's. 

At at the end though, it's your model so you do it your way. 

• Like 7

I of course agree with my learned and very well informed friends

The folded tail is a perfectly 'ordinary' scenario as is, if you aspire to complexity the rotor tips in a bag on a rope's end

I do love how you handled the gearbox last time round but anything else just becomes an exercise in plastic sculpture and descends into that strange shaded for artistic reasons instead of reality realm of the 'School Of Art' modelling mode

Not my scene for many a reason

I will happily however quote WAFU

At at the end though, it's your model so you do it your way. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, perdu said:

Me too. And I agree with Bill...!! :winkgrin:

More Marvellous Wessexing hendie - and I'm really glad the ickle one is straying slightly from plain oob, to oob with things put right! Should I live long enough I have five of the things in the stash to do. But I'll be happy if I can get one done to anywhere near your standard! 

Keith

• Like 1

Folded tail and blades would look the biz IMHO, but agree with not too much else open, apart from the side doors, for a realistic Wessex?

Terry

• Like 1

and I was so looking forward to getting to grips with a 1:32 gnome!  

You are right though - there's no point in simply repeating my previous build

14 hours ago, Ex-FAAWAFU said:

Fold the tail.  Blades too, probably.  One trans door open MAX.

13 hours ago, Wafu said:

I agree, for what it's worth, with ExFAAWAFU, the more natural look is only a few doors open.

13 hours ago, perdu said:

11 hours ago, keefr22 said:

Me too. And I agree with Bill...!! 

10 hours ago, Terry1954 said:

Folded tail and blades would look the biz IMHO

15 hours ago, Pete in Lincs said:

I'm with them above. Carry on as is and don't go too mad on it.

15 hours ago, Scimitar said:

Personally I would just make the bit of the gearbox that shows a bit more detailed and then leave the rest all buttoned up.

Tail folded and blades folded it is then.  That should knock about 2 years off my build time for this and allow me to get back onto Pegasus before I retire.

I did consider the trans deck door, but the only time the trans deck door would be open would be if they (we?  me?) were in the process of folding the blades, or just about to unfold them.

arghhh just checked the price of the blade fold kit on scale warships and it's going to cost a whopping 30 squids to get the kit here. Almost 50% of the cost of the Fly kit.  However I'm not about to reinvent the wheel and if I am folding blades then I'm going to need that kit

• Like 5

Or, be different. Tail folded and blades racked on a trolley waiting to be fitted/just removed.

Saves time, space and money and (maybe) hasn't been done before.

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

try doing it during Typhoon Ellen (wind speeds up to 143 mph) at 4 am with 20+ hours into a sleepless shift when half the hangar roof has been blown off and you have to get all 8 of the boogers folded and squashed up into the last bit of hangar space with a roof left on.

• Like 4
  • Sad 1

Just a small update this afternoon, and more in the way of seeking confirmation (more of which later)

Following the rousing chorus of 'leave it alone' I began the process of putting the fuselage together.  Everything looks okay here - fuselage sides are butted up against the cabin floor - no gaps. All should be good right?

P6090001.jpg

Well, not really.  I ended up with this huge step along the side at the seam.  Much sanding ensued.

P6090002.jpg

More sanding ensued before I decided that I couldn't remove any more from the cabin floor area.  That left me with one option - scrape the fuselage side.

So, using the tip of a scalpel blade I started removing as much material as I could from the bottom of the fuselage.  Eventually I got to a place I was happy with....

P6090003.jpg

and then started finding little bits of flash everywhere, such as this small section on the bottom end... future Fly builders beware - there's lots of this stuff all over the place to take care of.

P6090004.jpg

Just as I was getting ready to button up the fuselage I took a gander at the instructions, and realized that I had better fit the MRGB before closing it up.

These three parts are the main components of the MRGB.  Not all that impressed to be honest.

P6090005.jpg

Then looking closer at the instructions, it would appear that Fly wish you to fit the gearbox back to front - at least based on the angle of the shafts exiting the gearbox.

(that gearbox is really bugging me - I feel the shape is all wrong).

The whole thing isn't helped by the lack of location points - there are 5 poits shown in the instructions there on the page, but the only thing on the kit is a very faint almost circular line on the kit part.

P6090008.jpg

So, it looks like I need to build up the gearbox and fit that before I can shut up -urghhhhh, the resin parts aren't too nice either.  None of the U clamps on the jacks have been formed properly. Looks like some scratching will be required here then.

P6100010.jpg

But my main concern is the final assembly - take a look at this. Sitting a bit high methinks -would you agree?

P6090009.jpg

That is not helped by the fact that there is a warp of a few millimeters in the cabin roof

P6100012.jpg

I reckon I need to remove about 2 or 3 millimeters from the bottom of the gearbox, would you agree? (Just want to confirm that before I go cutting). I'll need to go and check my reference photos and see if I have a decent shot of that area

• Like 12
  • Sad 1

You know mate I've sat here watching your builds with awe and admiration ..I've a couple of these to build having used them in Cyprus ...84 Sqn ..

ilove what you do the attention to detail fascinates me ...and as a builder I strive to produce as good a model ..

keep,it up mate 

Terry

• Thanks 1

I think you should be replacing the MRGB Hendie. The kit job is all over the place and I don't think you will ever be happy with it.

Martian 👽

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

There's a guy called Hendie, built a fantastic 1/48 scale Wesex in here a while back

You could do worse than find his thread and try to duplicate the gearbox he conjured up...

Just saying

But the height of the rotor gear and swatch plate has been a bugbear for almost every Wessex kit since Pontius had to hand over his pilot's licence

I seem to recall Mike Costello putting some fabulous inside the covers shots of that area in the Rotary Walkarounds which you can use for scale comparisons

I'm off now to see if I'm right

HAS3 has the same stuff inside the upper maintenance covers, no?

I can't see you spending half the national debt of a Carribean country just to buy somebody else's folding gear though...

:)

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

I really must invest in another laptop... I don't have one in the basement yet which means that I am working downstairs and all my reference shots are two floors up safely ensconced in an old but reliable Acer.

Whilst enjoying this mornings coffee I happened upon this document which I had completely forgotten about (as usual)

Capture_A1.png

Okay, it's not a production drawing, it's not even a Wessex, and doesn't have any dimensions but when did that ever stop a modeler? 

Capture_A2.png

Between this and the 4+ drawings I should be able to set a reference dimension then work out the spacing between the top of the trans deck housing and the swash plate.  It won't be exact but should be good enough for the casual eye

• Like 8

As @Martian Haleand @perdu say above,you were never happy with that gearbox and despite the added hassle you know that it has to be sorted.

I read through the whole thread again the other day and re-iterate the comments on it being a superb build.

I doubt if I will be buying that kit any time soon though!

• Haha 2

I think that MRGB was designed on the back of an envelope over lunch in an Italian restaurant. It reminds me of a pepper grinder.

You are right to question (a) it's accuracy and (b) the mental abilities of Fly.

• Haha 1