Wessex HC2 Crab Cabs Pt II (Fly Wessex - why on earth did I?)

hendie

4 hours ago, infofrog said:

Hendie thank you for the advice on solder station set up . I love it 

glad it's working for you and you like it Rick

4 hours ago, infofrog said:

Are you making the photo etch parts  or are these a  pE kit ? 

The kit comes with some photo etch, but I think there are quite a few bits that should have been PE and (quite) a few bits are completely missing.  So I'm making my own PE for those I think are important enough.

Hi Hendie,

I've  actually started working on my Wessex HAS 1 and I'd like to use your wrk as a reference for the interior, even if I have no clue about what the internal layout was on this version.Forgetting the windows' size I think the sides should be fine, what do you think?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Massimo said:

what do you think?

feel free to steal anything from my work Massimo though there's no guarantee anything is accurate.   The version I am building was an AC (Army Cooperation) version so we just had plenty of room in the back for the Pongoes, Dog Company, and on occasion  Mrs Thatcher 'n' hubby and Hot Gossip.   We were just a glorified taxi cab, hence the 'Crab Cabs' nomenclature.

I'm guessing the back of the HAS was all kitted out for X-Box's and Playstations and suchlike - there's plenty of knowledgeable folks kicking around who can provide more info

• Haha 2

greetings once again dear fellows.  It feels like it's been forever since I last posted whereas in reality it has only been around two weeks since I last updated this thread.  I've had to reread my last update to try and remember where I was and where I was heading.. to no avail.  So let's bash on regardless.

The lathe came out of hibernation and I turned down some aluminum rod to make the three hydraulic caps, actually about 7 in this instance - they kept flying off into the ether when I was using the cut-off tool to remove them from the rod.

P1060003.jpg

I show this shot purely because it shows off the bracket just above the oleo mounting point very nicely. No other reason.  Well, that and you can see where I have recessed the trans deck panel for the hinge mounting point (the white rectangle thing) - another thing Fly missed.  I used a 1 mm Tamiya chisel to carve out the recess and got the back face as flush as I could, then dropped in a small piece of styrene to make it look better.

P1060001.jpg

My home brew etch was used for the fuel cover. It's not great but certainly better than what Fly give you.

P1130024.jpg

Then the reinforcing plate around the rear fuel cap was fitted.  This looks like kak here - it still has globs of GS-Hypo seeping out from under it, plus my pencil location marks make it look a bit scabby - it really is better in the flesh - honest.  You'll just have to take my word on that one.

P1130025.jpg

The front end was dressed up a bit with more etch, brass rod and other assorted greeblies.  Once again, home brew etch for the fuel cap and surround fitted with GS Hypo - easy.  The harder part was to relocate the drain and the hydraulic brake line as Fly had them in the wrong place as far as I could tell.  They were too close to the three hydraulic fittings, so I filled the panel lines, sanded, then relocated.  All very easy modifications but completely unnecessary had Fly had them in the correct position to start with.

P1130026.jpg

A quick shot of where we are up to on the starboard side - the most interesting side on a Wessex and always the most photographed.

P1130028.jpg

Now take a gander at this photo below.... see the three circled brackets on my home brew etch?   And see the circled bracket mounted on the fuselage ?

Well, apparently the genius in me decided way, way back when doing the etch stuff, to include the mounting brackets for the blade fold.  What a genius move!

Unfortunately, the numpty in me omitted to actually look in my little box of bits 'n' etch 'n' stuff before I took the hard route and made the brackets from scratch one evening.  What a heid the baw!

P1190001b.jpg

While I was thumping my head off the bench for being such an utter eejit, I happened to notice that something didn't look right.... oh yes!   Fly did not include the rear fuel dump thingy.  Well, they did but it was just a very faint line on the surface.  I wish I had spotted this sooner as it would have been a lot easier to remedy.

As it turned out, the fix was relatively simple.  Start with a hole as close to the correct location as I could get.

P1190002.jpg

Then gradually open out the hole with various drills, split the seam along the fuselage.  No! wait, I didn't mean to do that, it just sorta happened.  Cue Tamiya extra thin to the rescue.

Finally the hole was opened up to the appropriate diameter using some rolled up sandpaper gently rotated in the hole.

P1190003.jpg

I made up a fuel dump cap from several diameters of plastic tube - the larger diameter will rest against the inside of the fuselage, and center the protruding tube in the hole (in theory!)

P1190004.jpg

Sorta like this....

the small scrap of styrene rod is just a brace while the glue dries and will be removed later.

P1190005.jpg

The rear fuel cap is looking better once cleaned up though there's still a little bit more cleanup to perform.  I also added 4 little slices of styrene rod to portray the bolts fixing the blade fold bracket in place.

P1190006.jpg

Lastly for this evenings episode,  I added the comms plugs/caps just in front of the cabin door though after looking at this photo I think the two caps nearest the door look a little bit on the large side.... thoughts anyone?

Oh, and I also started adding the hydraulic fittings just above the cabin door - again, aluminum rod turned down on the lathe - and while fitting that one I managed to knock off two electrical boxes inside the cabin.  They are going to be a right pain to get back on place.

(and the observant among you will notice that the loadies seat has also come loose... darnit!)

P1190010.jpg

This kit is slowly sapping my will to live.  There's times I wish I had never started it, but now that I have, I have to see it through.  Now, it's personal!

Fly had so much opportunity with this kit, but sloppy research, or just plain carelessness has ruined the experience. 

The cabin door surround is going to be another area of frustration - Fly provide a nice couple of PE pieces to fit around the door, but again, they bear no resemblance to reality whatsoever.

Anyways chaps and chappesses, until next time...

• Like 16
  • Thanks 1

Thoroughly enjoyed the latest article in 'H: See Too - the Airhendie inflight magazine' mon ami. Anything I have to say here about Wessexery is going to be a case of transporting nutty slack to Newcastle, however is:

10 hours ago, hendie said:

photo I think the two caps nearest the door look a little bit on the large side.... thoughts anyone?

answered by Steve Lynes' splendid image here?

EGDR - Westland Wessex HC2 - Royal Navy - XR501

https://www.flickr.com/photos/lynothehammer/45721226061/

I find this:

P1190003.jpg

- a deeply satisfying view, showing - as it does - that simultaneously raised and inset detail on the filler cap. The accumulation of such detail here is never less than compelling, to the weird point of regretting that paint has to cover it....

Just turning the page I notice an ad for 'Eau-veralls - une fragrance de mechaniques.'

• Like 6

11 hours ago, hendie said:

or just plain carelessness

Or just pure couldn't-care-less-ness! Still if they'd made it perfect we wouldn't get to see such excellent updates on the hendie 'How the Wessex was won' thread! 

I think when the thread is finished & the 'best 32nd scale Wessex in the world - ever' emerges the Fly designer(s) should be made to read the thread from start to finish daily before starting work to see just what they should be doing! 

Marvellous stuff Mr. h !

Keith

PS I do hope we'll see some updates on the little 'un in due course....

• Haha 4

I have been comparing yours with Cosford's H, as you know I have a stack of pictures of her

Whilst there may be a millitad of difference in size, overall I think it carries off the look perfectly

I note that SUNSHINE in Cosford also has the cover missing off the top connector just like V in His Lordship's one

(Speaking of which, look at the sweep-droop on the blades on V. Staggering...if you didn't know that happens to Wessexes)

• Like 1

18 hours ago, hendie said:

This kit is slowly sapping my will to live.  There's times I wish I had never started it, but now that I have, I have to see it through.  Now, it's personal!

Fly had so much opportunity with this kit, but sloppy research, or just plain carelessness has ruined the experience. 

Sorry to hear about the Mojo loss. You should know that because you did start it the world will most likely see the most accurate Wessex model ever built. I for one am a huge S-58/Wessex fan, and because of this build am learning so much about the type. Id like to thank you for your perseverance and hard work.

Dennis 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 1/20/2019 at 4:08 AM, Hamden said:

Your attention to the smallest detail is outstanding.

or my OCD is becoming worse!

On 1/20/2019 at 5:31 AM, keefr22 said:

I do hope we'll see some updates on the little 'un in due course....

I actually picked that one up this morning, looked at if for a while, then sat it down again!    I think I laid the paint on too thick at the back end and I'm trying to figure out just what to do with it.

On 1/20/2019 at 5:31 AM, keefr22 said:

the Fly designer(s) should be made to read the thread from start to finish daily before starting work to see just what they should be doing! 

They certainly weren't interested in accepting any assistance before it was released.

On 1/20/2019 at 8:45 AM, perdu said:

Whilst there may be a millitad of difference in size, overall I think it carries off the look perfectly

Thanks Bill.

On 1/19/2019 at 6:15 PM, Massimo said:

Those PPE parts make the difference!!!

Thanks Massimo.  I am still astonished at what you can create just from styrene... and in small scale too.

On 1/20/2019 at 4:00 AM, TheBaron said:

The accumulation of such detail here is never less than compelling, to the weird point of regretting that paint has to cover it....

I like sitting back and looking at all the non kit supplied greeblies congregating on the fuselage skin.  The nice thing about white styrene is that they immediately jump out at you and say "I made this!"

On 1/20/2019 at 12:36 PM, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

I for one am a huge S-58/Wessex fan, and because of this build am learning so much about the type

Me too - it's amazing what you can forget in a few decades!  Or in fact realize that you never knew in the first place!

7 hours ago, CedB said:

I know how you feel with mojo loss but here's hoping it comes back soon!

Which is a nice segue into this mornings adventures - thanks Ced!

Yesterday was a complete loss, with a no small amount of frustration.  I was trying to deal with this little blighter - the vent panel on the electrical door.   Fly provide a nicely etched piece, but why oh Fly I do not know.  The 'vents' on the etch are recessed while on the 1:1 they protrude.  It would have been a very simple operation to have had those molded on the door, if only they knew what they were doing.

Anyways, as I said, I was trying to achieve something akin to the 1:1  i.e. protruding vents.  I began with little strips of plastic and wasn't happy with that.  Then I tried aluminum tape. Nope.  Then I tried brass and it was almost there but still fell short.  Then I tried my drop molding and that didn't work either.  In the end I gave up for the day.

P1210001.jpg

This morning, taking advantage of some local holiday here is USAland I attacked it again.  This time I went back to the small sections of styrene.  I started by scraping a chamfer onto one edge, then cut sections to length and trimmed them as narrow as I could.  They were then ca'd (no other option here) to the kit vent.

P1210003.jpg

They are definitely protruding!

P1210005.jpg

After I was sure they had actually stuck in place, I gently micro meshed the surface to get them all the same height, and as far as I could, rounded the edges.

P1210002.jpg

Finally, as per SOP I drilled some indentations into the skin, applied the GS-Hypo and stuck the panel on.  It's not great, but I am happier with that than just a bare PE panel.  Hopefully, some paint on that will blend it into the fuselage and be somewhat less of an eyesore. 

It always amazes me how some people can achieve robotic like nano-neatness on scratch built parts. Try as I might, mine always look a bit ehhrrrr, less than pristine shall we say.

P1210004.jpg

That was quickly followed by the second vent panel as I wanted to get those behind me... at least until I get to the port side.

P1210006.jpg

Now for something completely different!  Fly missed something.

By now I have almost completely given up on Fly's instruction manual as there's wither bits missing or what is present is vague and open to interpretation.  However, I believe they have totally missed a couple of features on the engine access panels.   First of all, there's an access panel for checking gearbox oil levels just aft and above the exhaust.  From memory the gauge showed up to 4 pints down but you were only allowed 2 pints down before having to top up.

On the kit... nada, nothing, nowt.  Not even a panel line.

My first attempt was some sheet styrene but looked too thick, so I used that as a template to cut a piece of aluminum tape, but wasn't entirely happy with that (seems to be a theme these days).

P1210007.jpg

In the end I resorted to the styrene panel, after micro-meshing the styrene and my right index finger to about half their original thickness.  A piece of scrap runner was turned in the lathe to produce the small domed section of the access panel

P1210008.jpg

Then for the next bit that isn't there - a small domed vent on the engine lower access door.  I had a few attempts at drop molding but today wasn't my day it seems. So...

A styrene rod of appropriate diameter was chosen and the end rounded to a dome shape.  I then sliced off a small portion of the dome (barely able to be seen here), and drilled into the inner portion to make it concave.  A hole was drilled in the engine door and opened out with a rat tail file

P1210009.jpg

and the vent was then stuck in place, after scribing a circular panel line around it.

P1210010.jpg

Bit by bit I am getting this thing under control.  Now for some coffee and into the fray once more...  Dulce et decorum est and all that chaps!

• Like 14

21 minutes ago, hendie said:

Bit by bit I am getting this thing under control. 

Yes.

Yes you are!

Those days when matter won't bend to the will are tres nasty but looks from here like Physical Universe 0 hendie 1.

No score draws and a large dividend expected for those watching.

I have almost completely given up on Fly's instruction manual 

Presumably they simply reprinted the Surrealist Manifesto with some added graphics of a helicopter...

Now for some coffee and into the fray

- Bentos?

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

34 minutes ago, hendie said:

This time I went back to the small sections of styrene.  I started by scraping a chamfer onto one edge, then cut sections to length and trimmed them as narrow as I could.  They were then ca'd (no other option here) to the kit vent.

P1210003.jpg

I was wondering whether maybe you could use quarter round styrene rod instead of going through all that trouble, as I'm sure I have some of a similar size that I used to make wing top louvres on a 1/43 Le Mans car. But despite searching my stocks to try & find the maker's details I can't find it anywhere - I'm thinking it was plastruct....

Whatever, that looks like another batch of painstaking work that has led to more excellent micro-detailing !

Keith

• Like 4

1 hour ago, keefr22 said:

I was wondering whether maybe you could use quarter round styrene rod instead of going through all that trouble,

That was my first thoughts too.  However, although the vents look rounded, upon careful examination I believe they are more angular... and I didn't have any quarter round of that size.

1 hour ago, Pete in Lincs said:

It's looking more and more like they sent the boy down to take some sketches

while they were in the pub designing the rest of it on beermats.

Ya think someone actually looked???

1 hour ago, TheBaron said:

Those days when matter won't bend to the will are tres nasty but looks from here like Physical Universe 0 hendie 1.

Thanks Tony.  Things went a little better on round 2

At some point in the past I had obliterated the engine fire access panels.  If I remember correctly they were only very faint lines to begin with. 

My best guess at position and size based on photo's and the 4+ book was scribbled on to the air frame and a couple of holes drilled.

You missed the frantic scrabbling about as I hunted for the two scoops for the starboard side - I had removed them from the runner tree way back when I did the scoops on the port side... and put them in that safe place.  Luckily my last attempt at a clean up wasn't too successful and I spotted both scoops cowering timidly towards the rear of my workbench.

P1210001.jpg

The holes were opened up and some vigorous back and forth with a 4 square file ensued...

also, note the filler over yet another figment of Fly's imagination 'panel within a panel' on the lower engine door.  Mr. Fly Designer needs a good slap!

P1210002.jpg

A scrap of styrene stuck on the hole - to prevent the fire access panels falling in

P1210003.jpg

***edit*** damn thing posted while I was grabbing another photo***

and a couple of fire access panels stuck in place.

P1210004.jpg

At the moment, it's a single piece of brass with a line scribed in the center and the part slightly folded.  I think I will separate that into two pieces and have the panels at slightly different angles. A simple job to start off the next session when the greebliefest continues methinks.

Edited by hendie
  • Like 12

The sheer number [& quality] of your additions has taken this to a completely different level.  A bloomin’ high level.  Superb.

Edited by Ex-FAAWAFU
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I wonder whether that fictitious panel was meant to be the gearbox oil access panel, only mis-located beneath rather than above the exhaust?  I ask as Fly’s engraved panel is roughly similar in shape to your far superior scratched panel.

AW

• Like 1