Wessex HC2 Crab Cabs Pt II (Fly Wessex - why on earth did I?)

hendie

9 hours ago, Ex-FAAWAFU said:

but the vertical bit needs to swing anti-clockwise by about 30 degrees, I reckon.

agreed Crisp

8 hours ago, perdu said:

It has to have the yaw pedals and brake dabbers sat under its innards too

in progress Bill

8 hours ago, perdu said:

The instrument carrying panel should be not exactly vertical, Here's one

great reference shot Bill - thanks

6 hours ago, Martian Hale said:

It might not be possible to correct the distance  between the IP and the seats without losing detail from the centre consul but lessening the IP's angle some more will go a long way to improving the look.Why do I get the feeling that you will re-build the consul as well Hendie?

I'm heading off to the county office now to apply for an artistic licence.  While I am out and about I think I shall visit the Cunning Plan Repository as I am going to need one or two to see me through this latest saga.

If I adjust the instrument panel more to the vertical, then it brings the coaming further back into the cockpit. Hopefully there is enough depth in it to accommodate that.

Ideally the entire instrument panel needs moving back towards the seats - I think the gap between seat front and edge of instrument panel needs closing up by about 1/3 or thereabouts.  That is going to be more problematic to solve as it will move the instrument p[anel further back into the cockpit and end up in the sliding door area .

However, if I add a small styrene packer behind the rear center console, that will move both that, and the center console further forward ... seats will need brought forward accordingly.  I think that may just allow enough room to align the instrument panel in the correct'ish orientation and get the whole shebang to cooperate

or not.

Some dry fitting and testing required methinks.

• Like 7

Well, our resident modeleure d'invisibilite @Fritag has a lot to answer for.  For 'tis a long, long slippery road filled with potholes and detours he has started me down. 

Take a gander at the Fly instrument panel... see anything wrong here ?

Wessex005.jpg

In their defense, I understand from a molding perspective why they didn't try to mold apertures where the gauges should be, and in fact, their positioning of said gauges isn't too far off at all.  However, just look at the panel above then take a look at a 1:1 instrument panel.

We're not driving a Capri ghia here are we folks?  Nope.  So why all the fancy bezels around the instruments then? They don't exist in the 1:1 - it's just holes for the most part.

and thus, the slippery slope begins.... (oh, and the Fly panel is not symmetric either)

image.png

I think you can guess where I'm going here.  :mental:

Yup, it looks like the alchemy kit is going to come out again.   I've used the 4+ drawing as reference, along with any photo's I can find though decent photo's of an HC2 instrument panel are a bit hard to come by so I'll have to get another artistic license the next time I'm out.

This is only stage 1 - marking out the instruments position and sizes.  Now I have to figure out what is going to be positive, what will be negative, and what is going to be a hole.  I have a feeling the instrument panel may be a lamination of brass layers to achieve the full effect.  That is of course, provided I can capture all this detail in the etch - that remains to be seen.

• Like 13

On 27/01/2018 at 10:03 PM, hendie said:

Frosted Extreme Detail.

The perfect call-sign! (for one who produces such cool and exquisite work)...:D

SACRU macros? The camera loves 'em and so do I. 

A little bird told me there was some hot console action going on here and I've just been drawing inspiration from it, at least until:

On 28/01/2018 at 11:11 PM, hendie said:

Of course, no bit of tiny diameter tube is complete without having to drill at least one hole into it somewhere. 

Omg. That's just such a totally hendacious observation!.:lol:

Good to see another cockpit with leg room issues and it's not just me suffering such indignities - that uncanny tingling feeling when you put the kits parts together and go: 'Hmm....I need to head over to Shapeways for a replacement set of longer pilot's legs..or should I just move the IP...?

Sorry to hear of plumbing woes but pleased to see this bowling along so purposefully, especially with the likelihood of more etch. :thumbsup:

Stay frosty, Frosted....

PS. I'd bookmarked this filter mesh the other night - is it any use to you?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/FINE-BRASS-MESH-WOVEN-WIRE-FILTER-OIL-BARGAIN-A5-Sheet-150-x-210mm/152248853997?epid=524324446&hash=item2372bd25ed:g:97IAAOSwg8taAy4e

• Like 3

I am becoming even more enthused about this project by the post after the post before

Always new grist for the mill

I'd considered separate fascia panels for my Wessie panels but in 1/72th it would've impossible to layer them on the IP, but here in 'massive' scale it becomes 'wrong not to!' 

I don't think there is much difference, significantly, between the HC2 and HAR2 panels by the way

From most of the pictures I've been able to harvest from the web anyway

Colour me excited...

Edited by perdu
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, TheBaron said:

that uncanny tingling feeling when you put the kits parts together and go: 'Hmm

yes indeed, it seems to happening with alarming regularity in this build - definitely not what I thought I had signed up for.  Then again, I  don't suppose I've ever been much of an 'out of the box' kit builder.  I should really write a sequel to Von Sacher Masoch's classic... Venus in Plastic

7 hours ago, perdu said:

but here in 'massive' scale it becomes 'wrong not to!' 

May be wrong not to Bill, but I don't think it's going to be terribly easy - at least, not as easy  as I first thought (isn't it always that way though)

In my mind this morning I've been going over a 3D printed/photo etch hybrid mutant composite and how feasible it would be to accomplish with any sense of accuracy/realism

and that doesn't even bring into the equation the gauges themselves.  Fly's offering are really not that great so I'm also looking at producing my own (somehow)

8 hours ago, TheBaron said:

PS. I'd bookmarked this filter mesh the other night - is it any use to you?

Thanks Tony.  Somehow, somewhere, sometime back in the mists of ebayery I purchased a job lot of different mesh grades which should keep me in good stead for a few builds.  The only mesh I am short of is the heater box grills on the Pegasus build but I think I should be able to scrape through

• Like 4

Is it not possible, even likely that the Gauges from Peter at Airscale would serve?

I would think it likely that the smallest, less Wessex specific ones could be converts and you light be able to print any odd's'nends for your self

I would print different thicknesses of the specific raised areas if t'were me, instead of attempting ups and downs in level

But we know however you tackle it will result in a proper job

:)

• Like 2

On 02/02/2018 at 12:34 AM, hendie said:

decent photo's of an HC2 instrument panel are a bit hard to come by

Hendie, I had a poke around "Argonaut" at the Newark Air museum a while ago and took quite a few pics. She's listed as an HC2 on their aircraft list so if you think it'll be any help I could see if I can find them for you?

18 hours ago, Pete in Lincs said:

If it helps, there is a shop here in Lincoln that sells old aircraft gauges.

They have a whole window full of them. Some are ex Wessex!

An altimeter goes for about 55 pounds.

Just saying.

Birketts Pete? 

Gurgle search for J. Birketts

Cheers.

Edit. Found the pics. Plenty of external shots too if they're of any use.

Edited by geedubelyer
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, geedubelyer said:

Birketts Pete? 

That's the place, on the Strait. Some of the prices are very reasonable.

We deliver to Bombay restaurant, The Strait & Narrow pub and Ribs & Bibs (Guess what they serve).

Nice Wessex cockpit pictures. That takes me back. Pin out! Brakes off!

• Like 2

6 hours ago, geedubelyer said:

If you'd like larger files PM me your e-mail and I'll send over a ZIP file.

Thanks Guy but those photo's have enough detail to keep me going for some time.

The rear wheel casting arrived from Shapeways yesterday. It looks good but a little rough around the edges. It should clean up easily enough and regardless - it's way better than the kit part (which I happen to have left at work so I can't photograph a comparison). Next week I am off up north to the tropics known as Erie for a week.

oh look!   The snow stops on Monday long enough to let my flight land - and even better... a high of 19°F (-8°C)  Open toe sandal weather then.

Capture.png

I just trust the weather will left enough on Friday for me to fly back

just so I can get ready to travel up north again the following Monday!       :wall:

I guess that means there will be very little in the way of updates from me over the next week and a half then.

• Like 1
  • Sad 4

Brrrrr! Stay warm Hendie :)

More Shapeways parts eh? The SACRUs were great... can I ask if they're resin or plastic prints? I'm at the end of my 3D printing (failed) experiments but the design bit was OK(ish) and I might think about using a similar service in the future.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, CedB said:

can I ask if they're resin or plastic prints?

Ced - they are plastic prints but the plastic is very hard - also very brittle so you have to handle finer detail with care.  Shapeways are convenient for sure - just upload a model, pick a plastic and a week or so later you have the part in your hands.

• Thanks 1

Superb work yet again, bringing to life that Wessex interior.

It's worth noting that the centre panel is a 'Translite' instrument panel overlay, being illuminated by the bulb holders which also hold the panels in place.  You get a lovely red glow on the the panel text/marking as well as the instruments when they are all lit up.

Worthless info I know, but the overlays panels are quite thick, a good 4-5 mm

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hi Hendie, loving the build, shame about the instrument panel, it looks like a good moulding.

Amongst your mirriad reference, you wouldn't happen to have any pick of ground equipment pics, in particular the 3 ton jack (?). I'vea dodgy tailwheel youlk on my 48th Wessi 5, which I'd like to enter in a contest in Cape Town at the end of the month. I can't take it with a broken yolk, so I thought, OK what about a jack. Nice little half hour build and add a bit of interest.

Hope you can help.

Colin the Wessex grubber

• Like 1

Colin,  I only have a few ground equipment photo's and none of a jack.  I remember having a heck of a time trying to locate any photo's of ground equipment when I was looking to build the safety raiser for mine.

The HAS3 in the walkround section is up on jacks - on the front at least, but it looks like some kind of stand has been knocked up for the tail wheel

It's forty years ago, but did we use a sort of bottle jack for the tail?

It was four/three legged jacks for the front though.

Shouldn't be too hard to scratch build.

Cylinder body, maybe a bolt sticking out of the top for the thread.

Legs, discs for feet, pump cylinder and handle, yellow paint.

Maybe have the yoke lying alongside looking sorry for itself?

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Pete in Lincs said:

It's forty years ago, but did we use a sort of bottle jack for the tail?

It was four/three legged jacks for the front though.

Shouldn't be too hard to scratch build.

Cylinder body, maybe a bolt sticking out of the top for the thread.

Legs, discs for feet, pump cylinder and handle, yellow paint.

Maybe have the yoke lying alongside looking sorry for itself?

Many thanks Pete and Hendie. Fifty years ago for me, so yes too long ago to remember...

Colin

• Like 1

Travels over, dreaded lurgie survived - don't you just hate traveling when you're sick?  And back to normal life... meaning that modeling time is at a definite premium. It feels like I haven't chopped anything up for months.

So a quick recap on where we were.  I had painted some of the interior panels and consoles when I noticed that the relationship of the different cockpit components was a bit iffy.

For example, looking at this photo - the seat is a bit too far back from the floor edge.  The throttle controls are too far back in relation to the seat, and the rear center console is a bit on the thin side too - it should protrude further on relation to the seat.

I ain't leaving it like this  :fraidnot:

P2170001.jpg

So the first step is to add some styrene to the back of the console to push it out a bit

P2170002.jpg

I ended up adding a double layer to give it some oomph in the forward direction.  Then a few of the missing bits and pieces were added.  What was I just saying in another thread about remedial work?

P2170003.jpg

Some work was done on the center console - another wedge of styrene was added to the rear to push it forward.  The broken throttle levers were added (I think I did that last time around), and a few more controls added. 

One of my datum points here is the front of the throttle levers control - that appears to be flush with the front edge of the seats as far as I can tell from reference photo's.  Looking at this, those two features line up - however, I still have to push the seat forward slightly, so I may need to add another packer behind the center console.  All in all, the center console has moved forward the best part of 5mm or thereabouts.

P2170004.jpg

The tail wheel casting has also turned up form shapeways - which is just as well, as I appear to have ehrr mislaid the kit part, which is a bit of a shame as I wanted to show a comparison.  I'll keep looking to see if it turns up .

P2170005.jpg

and just before the snow started falling I managed to make a start on the soundproofing for the cockpit

P2170007.jpg

.. now I just need to remember the color mix I used for the cabin all those months ago!

• Like 10

Hendie,

Welcome back from beyond and I'm glad you survived the Lurgy.

Premium modelling time has been put to good use by the look of it.

The cockpit is coming along very nicely indeed.

Would moving the seats forward, away from the bulkhead a bit help?

There are the guide rails and bungee cords behind there after all.

Superb remodification on the console

Nice groove in the side piece man, gotta get the groove

I love that tail leg arm thingy beam device, that is better than the actual part on any Wessex kit I ever saw

It was a great decision to get it printed

👌

On 03/02/2018 at 4:13 PM, geedubelyer said:

Here we go....

tn_Wessex_interior_031.jpg

An experienced Über-Grubber such as your good self almost certainly doesn’t need telling this... but just in case.

As & when you get round to adding Airscale instruments, don’t mount them all religiously upright.  The configuration clearly visible in the vertical stack of temperature / pressure indications on the left of this pic is pretty much universal in helicopters; apart from the ECU oil pressures [2nd row], they’re all twisted.  This is deliberate, so that in normal operation the pointers are all approx. vertical; that way the pilot can judge whether anything is abnormal with a quick glance, rather than having to ‘read’ every instrument.

And if you think of a way to simulate the characteristic - but tiny even in your enormo-scale - coloured bands that show limits, I’d love to hear it!  

• Like 7

Glad you've been able to find time again on this hendie.

8 hours ago, hendie said:

What was I just saying in another thread about remedial work?

:lol: Beat me to the punchline! 

I'd be personally dissatisfied of course with something I couldn't complain about, cut large pieces off of and generally maul into a new configuration so this build continues to slake my hunger. 

That new tail wheel casting is looking very sharp indeed ( :thumbsup2:) - what material from the Shapeways inventory is it? The formal definition looks so much more superior to  PLA outputs.

That soundproofing definitely has a convincingly  'padded'  appearance and should look the business in the final result.

Lovely work.

• Like 2