Wessex HC2 Crab Cabs Pt II (Fly Wessex - why on earth did I?)

hendie

Great work with all the small details you are adding Alan. The hole at the rear lower fus, is the Pressure Refueling connection. Not fuel dump, that's the two tubes under the fus. Maybe you crabs still used 10 gallon cans to refuel, ha!

Love your attention to detail but then why wouldn't you? Just a shame Fly didn't do the job properly!

Colin

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, heloman1 said:

The hole at the rear lower fus, is the Pressure Refueling connection. Not fuel dump, that's the two tubes under the fus. Maybe you crabs still used 10 gallon cans to refuel, ha!

I don't remember ever using the pressure refuelling point on 22 sqn Wessex. We always used the two normal caps with petrol pump type nozzles from the bowsers. We had a big problem getting hold of the scuppers which were mounted to catch spills when refuelling. The drain pipes used to break off. I made some by aralditing pitot ally tubing into the scuppers after drilling out the broken drain tube. This became an acceptable repair method. The fwd filler scupper had to work properly or fuel would run all over the undercarriage and hover flood, not good as they got very hot!

• Like 4

2 hours ago, heloman1 said:

The hole at the rear lower fus, is the Pressure Refueling connection. Not fuel dump,

I was actually thinking of a defuelling (suction) point - but I was still wrong!  ha!

18 minutes ago, AndyBunney said:

We always used the two normal caps with petrol pump type nozzles from the bowsers.

twice as many as me then.  Only ever used the front one... I think it was just because the aircrew wanted to see us get frazzled in the hot exhaust.  It was always a larf when trying to wriggle between the hot exhaust and the nitesun.  Take your choice - impaled or seared

23 hours ago, Andwil said:

I wonder whether that fictitious panel was meant to be the gearbox oil access panel,

good guess but I doubt it.  Even Fly couldn't have got such a simple shape that wrong.  No!  Wait... I haven't got to their engine access panel hinges yet!

and while I'm here,  does anyone know what that squarish block preventing the lower engine door from opening (about two thirds down the top edge) is purporting to represent?     I've checked all my references and sometimes it's there, and sometimes it's not.  When it is there, it's certainly not that size, though it is in that location.  I don't remember it on 28 Sqn cabs and my photo evidence is inconclusive

Best I can tell is that it's some kind of bracket

P1210004.jpg&key=8a93e443e52d639fc48090e

• Like 4

35 minutes ago, hendie said:

and while I'm here,  does anyone know what that squarish block preventing the lower engine door from opening (about two thirds down the top edge) is purporting to represent?     I've checked all my references and sometimes it's there, and sometimes it's not.  When it is there, it's certainly not that size, though it is in that location.  I don't remember it on 28 Sqn cabs and my photo evidence is inconclusive

Best I can tell is that it's some kind of bracket

Exactly what you say. It prevents accidental opening of the engine door in event of latch failure. It was basically a block hinged at the top that flapped over the top edge of the door and had a pip pin through it to hold it down. Remove pip pin and door could open. There are good pictures of it on XT604 in the walkaround section

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

6 minutes ago, AndyBunney said:

Exactly what you say. It prevents accidental opening of the engine door in event of latch failure. It was basically a block hinged at the top that flapped over the top edge of the door and had a pip pin through it to hold it down. Remove pip pin and door could open. There are good pictures of it on XT604 in the walkaround section

Ah... I guess we must have had it fitted then.  That would have been in the realm of the sumpies hence why I never paid it any attention - I went in through the big front door on AF/BF's

This getting old malarkey is no fun any more. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

I seem to remember it was fitted as a mod after a few latches had cracked and failed. I know what you mean about getting old, 31 years since I worked on Wessex. It's all buried deep in the brain somewhere it's finding it that's the problem!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

6 hours ago, AndyBunney said:

I seem to remember it was fitted as a mod after a few latches had cracked and failed. I know what you mean about getting old, 31 years since I worked on Wessex. It's all buried deep in the brain somewhere it's finding it that's the problem!

Same here Andy, almost 50 years since I touched a Wessex. Thankfully I had a mountain of reference collected over fourty years with which to refresh the brain cells.

Only time I/we used the high level fuel cap was in Malaya when on exersize. We used a Cobar rig and three 45 gallon drums on the back of a Strye-Puch Haflinger as a fuel bowser. Great bit of kit.

Don't remeber the engine door latch thingies.

Colin

• Like 2

This is an update for those folks who were interested in the Helo Helper jig.   I thought I'd post the update here rather than having to send a bunch of individual PM's.   Though if you want to respond to this, please PM me rather than clutter up the thread

I have some news but unfortunately it is not particularly good news. 

First of all, I had the new design cut and it worked perfectly - then I investigated postage and packing and that's where it all went south.  Try as I might, I could not find a cardboard box to fit the parts in.

All I could find was boxes that were either way oversize, or had a minimum order quantity that made it unfeasible.  

Next I resorted to a bubble mailer which was not ideal, but the only feasible option (other than having to make all the boxes myself from all my Amazon purchases!).  Again the closest mailer size I could get was 12" x 9", so I packaged one set up and off to the post office to get some quotes... Shocker!   

USPS was the cheapest option I could find but they still wanted $25 postage per kit - and their prices are going up next week.   other options were upwards of $60 each!

Postage within the US was just under $10 which is reasonable though I still think it's high.  I think the kit cost of $40 and the postage charge for sending outside the US make it unrealistic. Especially as there's a good chance it could get damaged in a bubble mailer.

I feel terrible about this and I wouldn't want to charge anyone $65 for this for them to end up with a bunch of broken parts.

what I can do if anyone is interested is provide the CAD files free of charge if you want to source a shop near you that has a laser cutter and get it done locally.  PM me and let me know.  I can provide the files in DWG, DXF, IGES format etc.

At least one of those interested mentioned they had access to a laser cutter (no names mentioned for privacy reasons) but it's possible they may be willing to have a few sets cut.  if that is the case, I can put you in touch with each other and you can sort out the details between yourselves. 

I really should have investigated postage & packing much earlier, so, once again, please accept my apologies for this but I'd feel like I was ripping people off, which I most certainly do not want to do.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3
  • Sad 2

On 1/21/2019 at 6:37 PM, hendie said:

Fly missed something.

Never! No way! Not true.

Hendie, you deserve a Turner Art prize for taking a pile of crap and turning it into a work of art, a work of art I would vote for (for once)

While watching this build I became aware of just how much external detail there is on a Wessex, how in gods name did it ever get airborne?

Great work and a pleasure to follow.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Here we go again... Fly fighting round eleventy seven, the new sport of modelers. 

It will come as no surprise that I am still working on fitting greeblies that Fly either missed or just didn't care about.  Given the number of things missing and the number of things in the wrong place I am leaning towards shoddy research and a general 'it'll do, there ain't no competition' approach.

Back to the grind folks.   There were a few gaps around the landing light housing and (I think) a flange missing so I thought I'd kill two birds with one stone - a thin strip was cut and using TET I started gluing it around the base

P1250002.jpg

Job finished.   I don't think I managed to get all the gaps but certainly some of the smaller ones, only a coat of primer will tell.

P1250003.jpg

Next up was hinge manufacture.  Once again Fly provide PE hinges, but since they are supposed to be glued edge on to the fuselage I had sever doubts about their longevity.  A good blast with the air brush would likely knock them into some parallel universe.  Styrene it was then.  Even in 1/32 scale these beasts are darned small for my aging eyes.

P1230001.jpg

Stuck in place with TET.  At least they'll stand a better chance of seeing it through to paint than the PE version would have.  I've also added hinges to the bottom of the engine access door.  Fly provide small PE rectangles, but the real hinges are quite chunky.  Also added in this view is the mounting bracket for the nitesun, and I've started adding the SACRU release handle just forward of the cabin door

P1260006.jpg

You can se here just how chunky the access door hinges are - though they are not finished yet.  The 1:1's are a tapered affair so I'll attack them with the chisel once the glue has set.

P1250004.jpg

PE is provided for the cabin door stop, and I have to say.... there's nothing wrong with the Fly effort.

Well, pointing out that the angled section at the back isn't quite 100% would just be nit-picking now wouldn't it?  Truth be told, my reason for going styrene on this was part longevity again.  I just don't trust PE

P1260005.jpg

Now stuck on the fuselage.   I've baed the position on my reference photo's which all show it almost in line with the rear edge of the cabin window.  You can see where I had to fill Fly's panel lines before fitting as they had it too far aft.

And only now have I realized that I should probably have checked the position of the stop by using the cabin door !  It may have to come off again. 

P1260008.jpg

SACRU release handle added (or is that handle for something else?) and Pip pins added to the hinges, or at least the thick end of the pip pins - and all pointing in the right direction.

I also deepened the panel lines of the access doors by scribing with a pin. Oh, and the fire access panel is on.  I changed my mind from using the brass doors.  The panel suround is a bit thick, but I shall micromesh that down a bit later so it's not so much in your face.

P1260007.jpg

This last shot shows the taper on the hinges on the lower access door. - much better than a small flat rectangle of PE

P1260009b.jpg

before you ask - No!   it's still not finished though I think I need to give it a squirt of primer to see where things stand.  I'm sure there will be plenty of touch ups needed given my inherent clumsiness.

• Like 14

On 1/22/2019 at 10:49 PM, hendie said:

does anyone know what that squarish block preventing the lower engine door from opening (about two thirds down the top edge) is purporting to represent?

The entrance to Narnia, if the rest of the bleeding kit is anything to go by.

Genuinely distressed at tidings over shipping costs of the 'Big H Helper'. Surely a business opportunity for a UK/EU distributor on this side of the Cod Pond hendie? The assembled expertise of the forum and its mods represent a powerful ally...

Looking forward to seeing what all that topography looks like under a unifying layer of primer! :clap:

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Max Headroom said:

I never realised that the Wessex was so cluttered with so many thingies.

That was exactly my thought when I scrolled through the latest batch of pics! 

Cracking, and very educational, stuff hendie!

Keith

• Like 1

Perfect detailing Alan, best add a drop of grease to the hinge pins before you paint them or they might stiffen up in service...

This is one of those models that just carries all the hallmarks of perfection

S'lovely stuff

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Your inherent clumsiness is more than apparent from your pics. 😉

Thought you might appreciate this....

Ian

Edited by limeypilot
  • Haha 2

7 hours ago, Max Headroom said:

The Wessex never made it to a wind tunnel.

It usually got close enough when we opened the Hangar doors.

BTW, I'm sure I have one of those Pip pins in the garage.

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, Max Headroom said:

and that was before the pongoes climbed in!

12 hours ago, TheBaron said:

Genuinely distressed at tidings over shipping costs of the 'Big H Helper'. Surely a business opportunity for a UK/EU distributor on this side of the Cod Pond hendie? The assembled expertise of the forum and its mods represent a powerful ally...

and the hive is humming... or should that be buzzing?

12 hours ago, TheBaron said:

Looking forward to seeing what all that topography looks like under a unifying layer of primer!

forward is here...

9 hours ago, perdu said:

Perfect detailing Alan, best add a drop of grease to the hinge pins before you paint them or they might stiffen up in service...

Thanks Bill, sounds like you've been hanging around Ced to much!

5 hours ago, limeypilot said:

Thought you might appreciate this....

Never a truer word is spoken in jest... which is why I always get my travel buddy to call the restaurants for the reservation

5 hours ago, Pete in Lincs said:

The Wessex never made it to a wind tunnel.

I can just picture the engineers guffawing and rolling about on the floor should it ever have made it there!

So, to keep the Baron et al happy, a quick squirt of primer was ehrrr... squirted in the general direction of big Wessex.  The primer does kind of bring it all together doesn't it?

P1270001.jpg

Though my home brewed etch here looks a little bit on the heavy side.  However, I think that will tone down once the akchul colored paint is on.

P1270002.jpg

The scribing of the panel lines seems to have been effective though.  Usually my panel lines looked particularly ragged, but these appear quite uniform.

Note to self... still to add the abrasion strips on the trans deck winch hatch

P1270003.jpg

With the starboard side 90%'ish greeblified,  it was time to turn things around and wash, rinse, and repeat on the port side.  I had stuck a few bits on a while back but it's pretty much a blank canvas at this point.

P1270004.jpg

Yet another of Fly's questionable details - see the circular panel just to the left of the masking tape here?

Well, Fly provide two circular PE panels which are attached ... wait for it... one to the left of that molded in panel, and one to the right of that molded in panel.  As far as I can tell from reference shots, there is no circular panel in that area.

P1270005.jpg

***oops***  website has a mind of it's own and just posted while I was still editing this

The electrical door on the port side has a mesh guard and Fly do provide one (see 2 photo's down...) but I wasn't particularly enamored with their attempt and though I'd try my own.

I checked my punches and of course I had one which was just too large and one which was just a bit undersized.   I had som emesh left over from a previous build which looked about right so I punched out a couple of discs and tried them - Luckily the oversized one was only fractionally over size which gave me an idea on how to fit it.

I had only just received this countersink tool during the week - intended for my drill press and lathe work, but it looked like it wanted to practice on some plastic. 

A quick turn or two with the fingers and I had a nice clean countersink around the edge of the hole

P1270006.jpg

To which the brass mesh sat nicely into.  That was secured in place with a few small drops of cyano.

I've also started on the panel lines as is evident in this shot

P1270007.jpg

Here are the two offerings from Fly and you can probably see why I chose to roll my own in this instance.

Interestingly Fly provide on for both the port and starboard electrical doors, but to my knowledge, there isn't a mesh guard on the starboard side.

But what about the flange surround I hear you ask....

P1270009.jpg

Well, even more luckily, I had a part left over from my Lysander build which was perfect for the job.  I think it was one of the landing light surrounds, but I think it's much happier on a Wessex.

P1270010.jpg

At close of play today we have a smattering of greeblies starting to populate the port side.

You can see here the two PE panels either side of Fly's imaginary offering.

P1270011.jpg

May the greeblies be with you

until next time...

Edited by hendie
  • Like 15

10 hours ago, hendie said:

Well, even more luckily, I had a part left over from my Lysander build which was perfect for the job

You've made a complete mesh of that h. Absolutely appealing. :clap:

P1270010.jpg

I knew I'd seen a Wessex in David Lynch's film of Dune!

giediprime.jpg

• Haha 7

Thanks Bill, sounds like you've been hanging around Ced to much!

Oi! I resemble that remark! :D 

More excellent greebling hendie, marvellous stuff.

• Haha 2

Outstanding model making, your detailing is bringing to life a, by all accounts, second rate kit.

My dad was an RAF Wessex pilot back in the day and a keen modeller (although of the train variety) so I will have to show him this build, sure he’ll be interested to see it.

looking forward to seeing you get the second side finished up.

• Like 1

On 1/28/2019 at 3:33 AM, TheBaron said:

You've made a complete mesh of that h.

which instantly reminded me of my favorite comedy duo.   (Maybe because I watched this film just the other night - an absolute classic!)

On 1/28/2019 at 3:38 AM, CedB said:

More excellent greebling hendie, marvellous stuff.

Thanks Ced.  Can't beat a good greeble can you

On 1/28/2019 at 4:12 AM, bigfoot said:

Outstanding model making, your detailing is bringing to life a, by all accounts, second rate kit.

When I did the Italeri 1/48 Wessex I thought that was bad, but the fixes on that were somewhat straightforward.   This is really a pig in a poke.  I'd take the italeri over this kit any day.. and I never thought I'd say that about an italeri kit!

On 1/28/2019 at 3:27 PM, CJP said:

Fabulous! - all of your hard work is paying off

thanks CJP

Fresh back from my travels in northern climes.  Cold???   It was -4°F (-20°C) in the shade but with windchill it was down to -23°F (-30°C).  Then as per SOP, the flight got delayed about 4 times resulting in me getting home around midnight on Friday. 

Let's just say it was cold enough to freeze the proverbials off one of these...

1974198519_6f34331c93.jpg?v=0

Moving on (and still trying to keep warm) I managed to get an hour or so back in the basement and began the greeblification of the port side.  Steps and louvres along with hinges and wotnots.

P2030001.jpg

When it came time to fit the PE step outside the cockpit, it looked a tad small, so I made my own from some scrap brass.  You can see the difference in length between the kit part and the part I bodged up.

It should have a tread plate pattern on it but the only tread plate I have was too large so I'll need to scuttle around to see what I can scratch up

P2030002.jpg

***edit*** Why does this site insist on posting when I'm scrolling back and forth???

After making the treadplates a quick scan of my references suggests that I am getting towards the end of greebling, so I checked the kit instructions to see what else is still to be done.... handles.... lots of them.

I pulled out the runner tree containing the handles and it is perhaps the best molded fret in the entire kit.  However, little plastic handles and my overblown digits do not mix well, and they wouldn't stand a chance in handling later.  Therefore it beheld me to bring out the brass yet again.  This time Ø0.75 mm rod.

A small length was cut and folded over in the vise before swiping it a few times with the file

P2030006.jpg

which produces a passable representation of a Wessex handle.  Proof of concept proved.

I think I can obtain a better transition in the bend, but this is certainly the way to go.  It just means I have a little time ahead of me fettling a bunch of handles and grips, of which there are many on a Wessex.

P2030007.jpg

A quick shot of state of play as of quitting time today.

P2030008.jpg

That spurious circular panel between the two PE ones is annoying me.  I've filled and sanded that flush around three or four times now and I'm still not convinced it won't show up under paint.

I'm now going to sit in front of a nice warm fire to heat up my greeblies

Edited by hendie
  • Like 11