Wessex HC2 Crab Cabs Pt II (Fly Wessex - why on earth did I?)

hendie

Hi Hendie,

Jesus, this lack of locating tabs on the Fly model is a joke, so glad I've got your build to watch. did u trim the back of the cabin roof ?. i just read an article on the Wessex  and the modeler trim the back.  I am working backwards so I make sure the  cabin wall ribs fit.  Since i am super detailing the main rotor  area(behind cockpit)and opening panels this is challenging to make everything fit.

Oliver

I don't remember trimming the back of the roof but I think I do remember changing the height. 

Fly just got so many things completely wrong with that kit.  The entire profile is wrong from nose to tail, particularly around the roof area.   The lack of location features is frustrating and where they do provide "locations" i.e. a faint outline on the kit, it'd generally in the wrong place.  Beware of the cockpit - none of the parts fit where Fly tell you to fit them

It really is an abomination of a kit.

Edited by hendie
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

I may regret this, but I have ordered the HU5 kit from Hannants, with masks, and I'm about to order your Shapeways collection as soon as I have the pence saved up for it. I'm not a master modeler like you but I'd like to try anyway. Both you and Phil Flory and Mr. Wattanabe managed to make some amazingly gorgeous models, so if I can make the red and gray sort of look ok, I'll feel a winner!

I have read your thread through in 3 days, stunning modeling! Wish I could have even a iota of your skills... Oh well, I'll do what I can!

Cheers

Harald

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks Harald. 

Just remember to test fit, test fit, and test fit.  Then test fit again - and check as many photographs of the real thing as you can.

Good luck with the build - are you going to post a WIP?

• Like 1

No, eventually I may post a completed model (if I get there), but I find my builds peter out quickly if I post shots of in progress... 

Cheers

Harald

• Sad 1

• 1 month later...

ANd I just Ordered the Scalewarship folded rotor and the Shapeways bits that Hendie made! Looks forward to this I does! It will be a while but there we are

• Thanks 1

• 5 weeks later...

Sadly I can't make time for the full 75 pages of epicness that was this build, but I have had a dip in and what an adventure, what a result!

The line that caught my eye was this: "I have doubts it will even make the display cabinet." If I used your quality standards, none of my builds would make it in the house, let alone the display cabinet!

• Haha 2

• 6 months later...

Holy %^@, I registered an account just so I could say how impressed I am by this build. Its honestly one of the best and most enjoyable threads I've ever read and the finished model is as close to perfection as I've seen!

I just ordered the kit, a set of masks and one of the few remaining blade-fold sets. I think I'm a pretty decent modeler but if I can even come close to the standard here by shamelessly copying every step I'll be v happy.

Thanks for taking the time to share all the hints and photographs along the way.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 13/01/2021 at 02:37, Ophthoidoug said:

Holy %^@, I registered an account just so I could say how impressed I am by this build. Its honestly one of the best and most enjoyable threads I've ever read and the finished model is as close to perfection as I've seen!

I just ordered the kit, a set of masks and one of the few remaining blade-fold sets. I think I'm a pretty decent modeler but if I can even come close to the standard here by shamelessly copying every step I'll be v happy.

Thanks for taking the time to share all the hints and photographs along the way.

Hi 

Ophth, since this is your first entry I thought I'd say howdy.

Just in case it is your last intended, why not stick around and enjoy more of Alan's wizardry?

Hi!

• Like 3

On 1/12/2021 at 9:37 PM, Ophthoidoug said:

the finished model is as close to perfection as I've seen!

Ouch!  This was a blast from the past. - you just reminded me that I still have to fit the landing lamp and the navigation lights.

Are you going to do a WIP?  

We always love a Wessex around here, even if it's a Fly kit

• Like 1

On 1/13/2021 at 2:37 AM, Ophthoidoug said:

the finished model is as close to perfection as I've seen!

Sickening ain’t it....:rofl2:

On 1/14/2021 at 10:05 AM, perdu said:

Just in case it is your last intended, why not stick around and enjoy more of Alan's wizardry?

Like Bill say’s.  There are other Alan builds about just as close to perfection.  Sickening ain’t it....:rofl2:

Edited by Fritag
  • Haha 2

Thanks, not sure about posting a WIP - it would prob look a little sad compared to yours... Maybe if things go well, I'll post a few pics somewhere along the way though. 

Looking around I see there are also a few Shapeways updates for this bird - might need to look into that - I'll take all the help I can get. Kit hasn't even arrived yet but reading everything I think my biggest challenges will be lining up the major components without locating tabs, getting a seamless join with the clear canopy parts and finally trying to line up & position the crazy blades/blade fold parts. I'm sure I'll be asking for advice ...

Edited by Ophthoidoug
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

Well the struggle is real. I have the two fuselage halves buttoned up with a reasonable interior hidden inside. Just finished sawing the lower fuselage part into sections exactly as you did. Honestly without your slow detailed WIP I would probably have thrown this whole thing in the trash by now; the lack of any kind of locating guides is hard to comprehend, the basic geometry doesn't match up in most places and the plastic feels like something I'd find in one of my kids' happy-meal-toys. I really want one fo these things in my collection though and getting hold of a blade-fold set wasn't easy so I'm in the fight to the end. Thought I could just paste in some progress pics but it seems not? In other news, I'm slowly accumulating a pathological Wingnuts collection while I battle this beast...

• Like 2

Good news that the work has begun

Keep us posted and honestly, start a WIP and you will attract all the help this fabulous resource can provide

The problem with adding on to Alan's build is that many people who might see a new ALL SINGING EXPOSE OF THE FLY WESSEX might pass this one by, having feasted their fill on the glory that was this build.

Go on, open your own (which is easy by the way), and let us have a new chapter of Wessexery.

I think I can guarantee massive interest in a new story about Walter On The Fly.

Pasting pictures is simple, open a photo  hosting site and load up from there

I use Postimg  https://postimages.org/  which is brilliant, I can upload  through images in Win10 on my pc and I can also simply take a picture with my camera in Postimg and it is there  ready to use

You can have as many galleries as you need and to date it is a free resource

have a look

And do keep us posted, we love Walter here.

• Like 1

IMG-9175.jpg

IMG-9176.jpg

IMG-9178.jpg

Screen-Shot-2021-02-21-at-8-54-44-AM.png
Playing around with uploading images, basic fuselage is together, lower surfaces have some pretty rough gaps which will require lots of filling and new panel lines. Looks like so many things are clamped and dangled onto the exterior of this airframe that I'll be able to "hide" plenty of blemishes. Inspired by "hendie's" build but secure in the knowledge that he's operating outside of my skill-set so hoping for a good result, not a perfect one. I'm planning on a red/blue scheme which I think is very eye-catching. 

Edited by Ophthoidoug
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1