Wessex HC2 Crab Cabs Pt II (Fly Wessex - why on earth did I?)

hendie

'A Wessex for our Time'.

Can't conceive of seeing better than this Alan and as per, have learned a hell of a lot along the way. Thank-you.

And just in time for Burns night....! 😁

• Like 2

Definitive.  A close second (in my opinion) to your own 1/48 Italeri Wessex.  But in the scale and particularly based on the Fly kit, this is The Reference Build.

Plus you’ve saved me lots of money, because I’m a perfectionist like you, so there’s no way I’m buying a Fly HAS3!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

Absolutely flippin' marvellous Wessex hendie - and a thoroughly entertaining and informative build thread taking us along to a stunning finished model! Thanks for taking the time and trouble to share your experiences with the thing with us!

Keith

• Thanks 1

I have mixed emotions. Joy at seeing the beautiful results of your labour but tinged with a touch of sadness at the end of one of my favourite threads. 

Thanks so much for taking us along for the ride and congratulations on a splendid rendition of a Wessex.

Cheers.

• Thanks 1

She is stunning, in a big nosed kind of way! Amazing skill on show, and it is apparent in the results.

my vote is for the hurricane.... if it’s a vote..... ah just read the other posts, oh well still a great choice

Rob

Edited by rob85
  • Like 1

Alan, you're a wizard, a Wessex wizard. It been a tour de force and a most enjoyable one. I'm sure you breathed a sigh of relief to have finally finished it? Let's just hope that Fly don't release anything else out to tempt you!

Congratulations.

Colin 

Fellow Wessex nut!!!

• Haha 1

I really enjoied all of this build!!!!

The level of detail you added's  been stunning all the way!

This will be the best reference for anyone wanting to build a Wessex!!!!

It'll be veeeeery difficult to workout it's a model if you take some pics with a better background!!!

Superb modelling!!!

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

AWESOME!

Simply Awesome.

Did I say awesome?

But you see I know your game. You have cheated ............. you have superimposed a real photo of an RAF Wessex HC2 onto a backdrop of your modelling bench .......... you did, didn't you go on, please tell me you did?

Seriously. This is a benchmark model for the Wessex IMHO. Superbly executed and a thread up there with the threads of the greatest (they know who they are). A masterclass and an inspiration.

Having discovered your Venom thread, I am already hooked on that........

Thanks for the experience!

Terry

4 hours ago, Terry1954 said:

This is a benchmark model for the Wessex IMHO.

Terry, I respectfully and reluctantly have to disagree.  Towards the end I was getting really fed up with it and just wanted to put away.  As a result there are many areas I could (and should) have improved upon but neglected to do so. I may revisit it one day to correct a few things and add a few missing bits, but it'll be a long way away before I pick that one up again.

For me, my modeling highlight in terms of accuracy and in achievement was my 1/48 Wessex build.  I consider that one way more visually appealing, a lot more accurate, and more importantly I look back on it with fondness - I really enjoyed that build despite being egged on to include AP's, clipboards, pens, and even a couple of 7Up cans left on the safety raiser.

Now I would seriously consider doing another Italeri Wessex despite its flaws and inaccuracies, but another Fly kit?  Never. Never. Never ever.

Here's a few pics of the 1/48 build from a few years ago if you haven't already seen it

PC130010.JPG

PB180024.JPG

P2280014.JPG

P4220016.JPG

The build....

and the rfi

• Like 6

7 hours ago, hendie said:

Terry, I respectfully and reluctantly have to disagree. 

Well Alan, how can I disagree with the master builder who created both these gems! I didn't follow the 1/48 build, it pre-dated my more dedicated presence on BM, but having checked it out this morning I am equally in admiration of your skills. It is indeed a magnificent rendition of the good old Wessex, in it's HC2 form.

So yes I can't call the Fly a benchmark Wessex build, when I spy another that can similarly be defined, albeit in a different scale, from different manufacturers at a different time. Perhaps they both are.

Given that you built both, living and breathing the frustrations as well as the many satisfying moments, I defer to your judgement, but given my own abilities which fall so far short of your own, to my mind both are epic in their respective ways.

Well done!

Terry

• Thanks 1

would you believe it.  I just realised that I haven't fitted the navigation lights, two aerials underneath, and the landing light. Oops.

I guess I'll need to pull it out of the cabinet to add the final missing features.  But not today.  I'll do it when the Venom is closer to being finished

• Like 1

On 18/09/2017 at 04:21, hendie said:

Since I seem to have hit some leaves on the rails over in my Pullman Car build and have been stymied by my nemesis, the unassuming but terrifying nightmare otherwise known as... the paint job, I thought I should try and refresh my batteries by trying a diversion - namely, starting self flagellation another build.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, hendie said:

would you believe it.  I just realised that I haven't fitted the navigation lights, two aerials underneath, and the landing light. Oops.

I guess I'll need to pull it out of the cabinet to add the final missing features.  But not today.  I'll do it when the Venom is closer to being finished

OK there’s another few days without having to face putting paint on the Pullman secured. 🙄

• Haha 2

11 hours ago, Bandsaw Steve said:

OK there’s another few days without having to face putting paint on the Pullman secured. 🙄

but it's getting very close Steve.  I just got an email from my transfer guy the other day telling me the decals are ready - so I should have them within a few weeks now. - then there's no excuse!

• Like 2