Wessex HC2 Crab Cabs Pt II (Fly Wessex - why on earth did I?)

hendie

@Martian Hale @Massimo @CJP @Ex-FAAWAFU @CedB @Hamden @Fritag @heloman1 @limeypilot @Andy350 @perdu @Lord Riot @Andwil @corsaircorp  @TheBaron @keefr22 @AdrianMF @Bigdave22014 @Pete in Lincs @Tomoshenko @Navy Bird @phildagreek @Harley John @moaning dolphin @Head in the clouds.,   Thank you all so much for your comments.  I did start trying to respond to each of you individually as per Tony's SOP, but my brain just couldn't cope with the sheer volume of responses from last time around.  However - I really appreciate ALL your comments so - thanks!

Today's post isn't going to be as long (sigh's of relief from the BM hive), nor as revealing or exciting.  (Except for me of course... because IT'S FINISHED!!!)  Yes it is, this damned build is finally complete. I think. 

Though no doubt someone will spot some glaring omission as soon as I have posted.

Let's get on with it then... First off was to attack the aerials.  Can you see that aerial wire there? No? Neither could I.   Getting those wires in place and secured was a bit nerve racking

P1180001.jpg

But as usual we got there in the end.  The EZ Line was probably a bit fine but it's in there and it's not coming out again

P1180003.jpg

Useful tip coming up:  Way back when I first painted the rotor head I had some custom paint mix left over so I sucked what I could up with a pipette and stuck a cocktail stick in the end as a seal.   Would you believe the paint was still usable?  It was. Great - that meant I could touch up the rotor head and repair all the damage I'd done messing about with the blades during the epic blade fold fiasco.

P1180005.jpg

Then the final touch for the rotor head was to add the BIM's

P1180007.jpg

Which become almost invisible for normal viewing purposes

P1180009.jpg

Underneath, the fuel dump hinged bracket got added

P1180008.jpg

Sliding windows got fitted.  I now realize the stop is fitted too far forward and the window should slide back further than shown here.  That's what you get for following Fly's panel lines.  The starboard one got fitted but the photo was too blurry to use.

P1180011.jpg

After wrestling with my inner modeler I decided just to go ahead and use the kit supplied resin intake cover despite not being too keen on it. 

I used Tamiya tape cut into thin strips and painted Dark Earth for the straps, adding the obligatory twists. (just to play with @CedB's COD!)

Maybe I should have put a tad more glue on that exhaust should I?

P1180012.jpg

When viewed from a distance it looks convincing enough. (Stbd window and cabin door now fitted - and exhaust still wonky)

P1180013.jpg

port side straps

P1180014.jpg

Reasonable enough.

P1180015.jpg

Now just a series of shots from various angles ('scuse the background - I think the wife half-inched the blue card I once had for final shots)

P1180016.jpg

damn - still need to glue that exhaust

P1180017.jpg

P1180018.jpg

P1180019.jpg

P1180020.jpg

P1180021.jpg

P1180022.jpg

P1180023.jpg

P1180024.jpg

P1180025.jpg

There! exhaust now glued in place

P1180026.jpg

Ah... the instrument panel. Anyone remember the fun and games we had way back then ?  Home brewed photo etch that was!

P1180028.jpg

The BIM's do add that nice little finishing touch though, and that rotor head turned out nicely though the color isn't great. It could have done with being a few shades darker and a touch more grey

P1180030.jpg

She's a big beast, coming in around 15 inches long with the tailfolded

P1180032.jpg

P1180033.jpg

and for my next trick.

P1180036.jpg

It's gonna be one of them above.  I'm not quite sure which one yet though.  I've had a quick fiddle with the Venom and the Vampire but haven't started construction on anything yet.

I've read that the Classic Airframes kits can be a bit touchy.   One of either the Venom or the Vampire builds up quite easily and the other one is a bitch. So, can I remember which one was which? Of course not.

But that's for another day.

Anyhoos two plus years of build and it's finally over.  She's already in the display cabinet - bottom shelf hiding behind the Lysander.

So what did I think of this kit after all this time ?   Well, to be honest I was really excited when I first started this build but it quickly became apparent that Fly really messed up with some very poor research and missed probably the best opportunity we'll ever see to have an accurate, decent quality Wessex out there in the market.  There really were some "what on earth were they thinking" moments which was a shame as they obviously put some thought and effort into some areas.  Some people can go ahead and just build this as it comes, out of the box - and that's great.  However, if you are looking for anything approaching accuracy in a Wessex, then avoid this kit like the plague unless you are prepared for a hell of a lot of rework - and there's a lot of things that are just never going to be right.

After this experience, I do not seeing me ever buying another Fly kit. Ever!

• Like 32

Love it. I've only been along for the last 12 months or so of this epic, but every hour of work that went into it shines through. Educational inspiring and aspirational. Congratulations on a cracking result.

Edited by chrislowe
  • Thanks 1

Well done! It's been a very informative and delightful journey. Plus I learned a lot, like how to sell all the Fly kits in my stash immediately. Speaking of Fly, you should send them some photos so they can put them on their website as an example of what can be done using a few bits of their product.    :)

Cheers,

Bill

PS. I vote for the Sea Venom because, well, Navy is my first name.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

congratulations Hendie !!

That's a great piece of modelling and a funny informative thread !!

I've learned a lot !!

:partytime:

So, have a good beer on my behalf !!

CC

• Like 1

Well, despite your feelings Alan I can't see a single fault with that model in your photos.

Every one looks like a real Wessex to me, although (of course) I know nothing.

Kudos Sir :worthy:

• Like 1

Mate, it's been a fantastic sleighride of a modelling adventure. Very many thanks indeed. I think we've all learnt a few new tricks along the way.

No towing arm then? :poke: Enjoy your lie down, you deserve it. Oh, and I vote twin boom too (Partly 'cos Biplanes don't do it for me).

• Like 3

A superb job Hendie! We all learned things about helichoptering along the way, and especially about wessies and fly kits (the less said about the latter, the better).

Superlatives have all been used up in the thread, so "very nice model indeed"!

• Like 1

10 hours ago, hendie said:

After this experience, I do not seeing me ever buying another Fly kit. Ever!

You won't have to Hendie, for such a fine and entertaining build of the highest quality I am sending you mine......enjoy!😉

The greatest shame is that I/we will probably never get to see it in the flesh.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

As has been said already stunning, outstanding, superb build a pleasure to watch you overcome each and every problem that presented it's self to you and your attention to detail is second to none.

Looking forward to what ever you decide to build next.

Roger

• Like 1