Wessex HC2 Crab Cabs Pt II (Fly Wessex - why on earth did I?)

hendie

3 hours ago, Fritag said:

I’m sure I’ve seen an aerodynamic bit or two produced during the build but they may have got lost or ended up on the cutting room floor :whistle:

Steve, we’ve had this discussion before: you’re thinking like a jet pilot [see how polite I was there?  The word “plank” didn't even appear].  The ‘aerodynamic bits’ are yet to be fitted; they whizz around above / behind everything else.  Parasite drag isn’t really much of a deal at 100 kts... let alone in the hover!

17 minutes ago, perdu said:

Did you like the sneaky way of introducing my next helo build into Hendies's masterwork?

Just testing...

You’re building a café?  Whatevs

• Haha 6
  • Confused 1

7 minutes ago, Ex-FAAWAFU said:

Steve, we’ve had this discussion before.........Parasite drag isn’t really much of a deal at 100 kts... let alone in the hover!

:blush:  Yes Dad.  I remember now :blush:   Sorry.  It’s just that my brain has trouble holding onto the concept of flight at 100kts :blush:  (that’s a fast taxying speed isn’t it?)

Edited by Fritag
  • Haha 5

2 hours ago, Max Headroom said:

Miss, Miss, those naughty boys in the back of class are being mean to each other.

You mean they're behaving like planks? Or was that not what he meant? 

Either way, this is just outstanding. True craftsmanship.

Ian

• Haha 3

And a Happy New Year to you all.  May this year bring you all that you wish, and lang may yer lums reek

On 12/29/2019 at 4:54 PM, Heather Kay said:

:clap:

On 12/29/2019 at 6:45 PM, Harley John said:

Wow, that is fantastic - really looking good. 

On 12/29/2019 at 7:08 PM, Andwil said:

Magnificent!

On 12/29/2019 at 7:21 PM, perdu said:

excellent!

😁😁😁. 🍹🍹

On 12/30/2019 at 1:47 AM, Andy350 said:

Looking great. 

Thanks folks. She's finally getting towards the builds end

On 12/29/2019 at 10:56 PM, CedB said:

Nice work hendie, nice legs - she's looking marvellous :) 

How did you know Ced?  I stopped wearing shorts at the beginning of November when it got a bit nippy

On 12/30/2019 at 12:13 AM, Pete in Lincs said:

We'll see when the fuel dump pipes are added. Looks good to me though. Three greens at last! (Yes, I do know the Wessex didn't do that).

Brake lines next then? :poke:

Ah... fuel dump pipes.  I remember having the perfect rubber tubes for those.  Now, where was that safe place again...

On 12/30/2019 at 2:06 AM, Fritag said:

Extra-special marvellous stuff.  Every sub assembly (nonchalantly knocked-off by the maestro) is a work of art (3 times that auto-corrected to ‘tart’ :giggle:) in itself :)

I’m quite pleased you’re quite pleased.  Mere mortals would of course be understandably ecstatic.......

Have to say (well don’t have to but will) that the Wessex is an appealingly (had to be careful not to mistakenly say appallingly) ugly brute.  I’m sure I’ve seen an aerodynamic bit or two produced during the build but they may have got lost or ended up on the cutting room floor :whistle:  But - whatever its (or p’raps my) aesthetic idiosyncrasies, it’s a comfortably familiar sight from my yoof and I just loves its looks - and your rendition h.

I'm pleased you're pleased I'm pleased Steve.

Aerodynamic bits?  Did I do it wrong?

On 12/30/2019 at 4:27 AM, TheBaron said:

He's grown positively reckless now.

That penultimate nose-on shot; it sits just beaut-ifully, with such a sense of weight and presence about it. Quality on the u/c components is just out-of-sight.

Admit it. You had a cigar afterwards- didn't you?

HannibalSmith.png

and a small snifter to boot

On 12/30/2019 at 4:32 AM, perdu said:

I loved the way A sits on her feet but kept getting a niggly "is it really that angle to the floor?" irritator in my head.

Best thing to do? Look

So I did

<snip>

Absolutely bang on

Phew, now I can simply adore it

If there's one thing that ensures you've done things right it's the Perdu seal of Approval

Capture.png

On 12/30/2019 at 5:04 AM, perdu said:

Did you like the sneaky way of introducing my next helo build into Hendies's masterwork?

Just testing...

Test passed Bill.  You have approval to proceed!

On 12/30/2019 at 5:21 AM, Ex-FAAWAFU said:

Steve, we’ve had this discussion before: you’re thinking like a jet pilot [see how polite I was there?  The word “plank” didn't even appear].  The ‘aerodynamic bits’ are yet to be fitted; they whizz around above / behind everything else.  Parasite drag isn’t really much of a deal at 100 kts... let alone in the hover!

You’re building a café?  Whatevs

On 12/30/2019 at 5:27 AM, Fritag said:

:blush:  Yes Dad.  I remember now :blush:   Sorry.  It’s just that my brain has trouble holding onto the concept of flight at 100kts :blush:  (that’s a fast taxying speed isn’t it?)

let me see...

Stop then land.

Hover.

Turn sharp left

Turn sharp right

Go backwards / forwards / sideways

Go straight up

Go straight down

Stop to pick up the messages

Carry things from here to there

So just what is it those pointy whooshy things do again that a helichopter can't?

On 12/30/2019 at 5:32 AM, Ex-FAAWAFU said:

Oooh.  Vicious!

any excuse...

On 12/30/2019 at 7:25 AM, Max Headroom said:

Miss, Miss, those naughty boys in the back of class are being mean to each other.

Meanwhile back at the model, that is looking the biz.

Trevor

If they don't stop I'll put some more sharp objects within their reach

On 12/30/2019 at 10:10 AM, limeypilot said:

You mean they're behaving like planks? Or was that not what he meant? 

Either way, this is just outstanding. True craftsmanship.

Ian

Thanks Ian.  :rofl2:

22 hours ago, chrislowe said:

☝️this.

Ta Chris

So where was we? Oh, now into the fourth year and second decade of this build.  Tempus Fugit and all that.

The tail the tail I must finish the tail.

Well the starting point wasn't great.  It used to be but not now.  I had added attachment points for mounting the tail but over the years and my less than careful handling practices, those attachment points had all broken off.

PC310001.jpg

Nothing for it but to start all over again.  Find plastic tube of appropriate diameter, take 4 slices and add to back end of Wessex.  Use scrap rod to ensure sort of proper alignment.

These are actually sitting just a tad too far back, but at this point accuracy has taken a back seat to "getting the damn thing done!"

PC310002.jpg

The kit parts for the ratchet handle didn't quite meet with my approval so some brass bits were worried into shape

PC310004.jpg

and if all goes well, they should end up here or thereabouts

PC310003.jpg

Notice how I conveniently managed to completely obscure the "Do Not Overtighten" stencil.  Oh well, the liney will see it when he releases the handle so all's well.

But while I was in the vicinity I spotted another missing greeblie

PC310005.jpg

... one of these.  Wotzit I hear you ask ? Why it's the Nitrogen valve - if you can actually see it.

PC310006.jpg

and it goes right there, right next to the Nitrogen stencil.  Things are fairly rolling along now aren't they?

PC310007.jpg

I've been avoiding doing this job for so long but in order to get this thing finished it's time to man up

A small hole was drilled adjacent to the spring loaded catch on the tail pylon and a length of brass rod inserted

PC310008.jpg

Then, carefully positioning the tail I pushed hard onto a section of masking tape in the hope that the brass pin would leave a mark.

Success!

PC310009.jpg

Still a bit apprehensive about the whole operation, I held the tail in position and used some of the dreaded superglue to tack things in place

PC310010.jpg

It's sort of looking like it should (I think) but still needs a few more greeblies.

PC310011.jpg

First up was the bellcrank lever which wasn't really much of a bellcrank but the priority here was not to break the tail pylon off and hopefully add a little bit of strength to the assembly regardless of how little that strength was.  It needs all the help it can get.

I also added some electrickery cable

PC310012.jpg

supported as if by magic

P1010022.jpg

At that point I couldn't resist a dry fit of the tail rotor to see how things looked.

PC310013.jpg

I'm not sure if the rotor is sitting too far out from the pylon but we're moving on...

Bill - did you notice what I added here?  I forgot that I made one of these way back when I was making the brass etchings

PC310015.jpg

After the tense tail fitting operation, gluing the winch in place and gluing the oleo's was a bit of an anti-climax.

PC310016.jpg

as was fitting the pylon lights

P1010018.jpg

and the U-Bolts on top of the oleo's

P1010020.jpg

and the torque link on the rotor head swash plates

P1010021.jpg

I was about to fit the aerial just to the rear of the beetleback but noticed that Fly provide only the aerial and no mounting base.  That meant just a very small footprint to hold things in place. No!

So I printed one of my own.  It's a bit difficult to see here but the mounting base is there and has allowed me to drill and ad a pin to help secure things in place after it's been to the paint shop.

I also printed a couple of the aerial mounts shown adjacent to my index finger here.  The cable mounting points were tiny so I increased their diameter on my version.

P1010017.jpg

I think I can call the tail fold complete now - a few more greeblies added along with some black paint to mark out the steps, along with another cable and a couple of tiny electronics bits from a scrap phone

P1010024.jpg

Next up.... who knows?

• Like 18

Staggeringly good build and posting Hendie, so much innovation and just darned good modelling -truly epic

Cheers,

Geoff

This. I mean this piece that..looks, what d'you call it? The thing..and the other bit.

Damn it. All looks so good all the pieces.

That's it - all the pieces are good. Looking.

Set them to music - they look like they're ready to dance, rotate. :clap: 🌠

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

11 hours ago, hendie said:

Bill - did you notice what I added here? 

The flag on the tail lock?

Looks great just as great as everything else on this rebuild of a real fly-able Wessex HC2

Tour de force mon ami, un veritable tour de force

Wessex Origami! Good job I'm sitting down and have a strong cup of green tea to ward off the vapours!

This is modelling history in the making. You wait until Blue Peter get to hear about it! Better than Tracey island!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Aaannnnddd things just went mammaries up again. Soddit.   I knew yesterday was going too well and there'd be payback.

I went all in for straightening the blades today. 

Take one rotor blade, tape it firmly to a length of aluminum channel.

Add clamps for good measure. 

Bring large pan of water to the boil and remove from heat.

Wait thirty seconds and drop plastic rotor bondage assembly into pan

Leave for around 30 seconds.

Remove from pan and dump into freezer.

Wait at least fifteen minutes

Remove and unwrap.

First blade went fairly well. Still a very slight bow but small enough that I can live with it.

Followed exactly same process on second blade and it ended up looking like a wiggly twisty bendy thing that was a bit drunk and had just fallen off a bus.

Peeved. Yes I was.

Third blade - not as bad as second but not as good as first

Fourth blade - okay'ish.

I went as far as modeling a new rotor blade up in 3D to have a go at printing a blade in two or three sections, then thought sodit. I've had it with this kit.

I've walked away for the day and I'll revisit tomorrow.

I have two options here methinks.  One option is to press ahead regardless of how wonky the blades are and just get the damned thing finished. 

Option two is to fake a diorama and just have the blades sitting on trestles beside the airframe. 

I could go either way on this and no real preference either way.

Back tomorrow with some wonky blade piccies

• Confused 1
  • Sad 7

That is indeed.

Grievous at this stage and not what you deserve.

Is the rotor profile too complex in three-dimensions to plane from a plastic blank using a Stanley blade held twist finger + thumb? I did something like that to make the long thin ailerons of the Dornier 18 a while back.

• Like 1