Wessex HC2 Crab Cabs Pt II (Fly Wessex - why on earth did I?)

hendie

2 hours ago, CedB said:

Well, I wish I could mess up as well as that…

Fully agree Ced, I wish my builds turned out so badly!

Wonderful Wessex hendie, if you hadn't pointed out the 'problems' I'd bet good money 99% of us would never had noticed any of them!

Keith

• Like 2

Wow, just caught up with your amazing progress....and set backs. I find thst when I’m so engrossed in trying for perfection, a build can lose its fun. For us mere mortals, what you’re creating here is truly stunning so don’t let it beat you at this stage.

i May have a few letters in the stash if needed. I got some sets when building a 1/48 Lincoln but off hand can’t remember what sizes are there. A way I’ve found of toning stencils down is to spray a thin coat of the base colour over the top. It just takes the edge off.

the only problem with your build is that if I want to build one, I’ll use yours for reference but it will never be close to hat you’ve created!

cheers

neil

• Like 2

To me, (although I feel the pain when things go pear shaped like that), it's also a bit of a source of comfort to me that even some of the most talented guys on here can also be faced with these little 'hurdles' to have to get over.

I've been loving watching your build and getting inspired to try things myself. 'Per ardua....' and all that.

(Says him that should pay for everyone in the house to have noise cancelling headphones for each time I drop something into the carpet for the fifth time!).

Excellent stuff. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I was going to waffle on about this or that

Was, am not!

Alan this is simply the best model ever of a Wessex.

Considering you were already owner of that accolade from a while back, in junior big scale, this means to me it is unlikely ever to be bettered

Awaiting the blade fold with warm anticipation, it is going to look magnificent.

• Like 1

I can't add much to what's already been said. It may not be perfect, but it's still bloody gorgeous! Well, as gorgeous as a helichoptery thing can be! 😉

Here's wishing you and yours a happy Hogmanay! 

Ian

ouch. I just quoted 13 posts.  Ominous.

22 hours ago, chrislowe said:

It must be frustrating to have to clear all the hurdles that are coming your way, but seeing how you deal with them, to eventually turn this very average kit into something very special is both educational and inspiring. I look forward to every update. 

Thanks Chris though sometimes there can be one just hurdle too many on some days

hurdle.png

15 hours ago, Fritag said:

Well I”ll be upbeat enough for the both of us how about that? :jump_fire:  (very irritating emoticon).  The decal issues ain’t spoiling her at all; not a jot.  She’s a world class beaut.

BTW.  Annoyingly neat soldering.........:D

I straightened all 4 wings on my ‘awks several weeks back.  Boiling water in coffee mug.  Wings dipped in the cup for a number of seconds I was too nervous to count but can probably be described as ‘several’ - wings straightened with thumbs and forefingers -  and held under the cold tap to speed the cooling.  Worked without disaster.  It’ll be fine.  But don’t quote me :whistle:

Right.  Off for a couple of days to the Northumberland coast to recover from Christmas......

Thanks Steve - I'll take that.

You know I only take photo's of my soldering after about 3 hours worth of clean up and polishing don't you?

I tried the hot water and ice dip today with no luck so far.  Tomorrows another day they say.

Northumberland eh?  I'm with you on that.  Well, not with you in the biblical sense but you know what I mean.  I've been off work now for 7 days so far and today is the first day I have actually had all to myself.

14 hours ago, Hamden said:

Stunning, superb, outstanding I've run out of expleatives your attention to detail even the smallest is remarkable!

I look forward to each and every update and it's a little sad that this is approaching the finish line but you'll have a show stopping replica at the end!

Roger  

Thanks Roger - I've got some expletives I can share.  I learned a few new ones this week.

14 hours ago, CedB said:

Well, I wish I could mess up as well as that…

I Googled 'funny perfectionist quotes' in the hope of lightening your mood but then came across this:

"Perfection is not attainable, but if we chase perfection we can catch excellence" - Vince Lombardi.

Excellent work hendie :D 

(Did that work, a bit?) 

It did Ced, thanks.  That Vince guy needs a good slap - he sounds like one of our HR stormtroopers

13 hours ago, TheBaron said:

First dip back into the forum after Christmas and it's to this one positively romping along.  Particularly energized to see that brass- erie cheri.

Your standard exquisite that is.

Heading west to buy a new duvet - later compadre. :clap2:

Dunno about romping and even less sure about positive but we do what we can don't we?  I was quite pleased with yesterdays  brass-eventing but less pleased with todays efforts.

Enjoy the duvet!

13 hours ago, Ex-FAAWAFU said:

It is a real act of faith, isn’t it?  I had to do some significant hot water action with one of the booms on my Vixen - it actually worked beautifully, but i recall feeling slightly sick as I put the boom into the water, knowing that if it failed I had an unfinishable model.  

Hendie, for a Wessex that doesn’t have the word NAVY written anywhere on it, yours is wonderful.  I totally understand why you cannot wait to see the back of it, but don’t lose sight of how MASSIVELY you have transformed that sow’s ear of a kit.

I await news of your next magnum opus with ‘bated breath.

Hot water tried and failed. Tomorrows attempt may involve one of these

43dff2d35af9583a5b3874ef6c7f87b5.jpg

13 hours ago, Ex-FAAWAFU said:

Is such continental frippery something to be found only in the West of Ireland, away from those Dublin sticklers for blankets?

I assume the outer cover is woven with only the finest horse hair?

11 hours ago, Timski1 said:

The attention to detail in this is something else, such a good thread to read amazing build. 

Thanks Timski, glad you are enjoying it.  Wish I was 😉

11 hours ago, keefr22 said:

Fully agree Ced, I wish my builds turned out so badly!

Wonderful Wessex hendie, if you hadn't pointed out the 'problems' I'd bet good money 99% of us would never had noticed any of them!

Keith

Fly really made the worst of a great opportunity here.  This should have been, and could easily have been a world beating kit.  Instead, it's a poor facsimile of something sort of resembling a Wessex in some areas, if you get the angle right.

11 hours ago, woody37 said:

Wow, just caught up with your amazing progress....and set backs. I find thst when I’m so engrossed in trying for perfection, a build can lose its fun. For us mere mortals, what you’re creating here is truly stunning so don’t let it beat you at this stage.

i May have a few letters in the stash if needed. I got some sets when building a 1/48 Lincoln but off hand can’t remember what sizes are there. A way I’ve found of toning stencils down is to spray a thin coat of the base colour over the top. It just takes the edge off.

the only problem with your build is that if I want to build one, I’ll use yours for reference but it will never be close to hat you’ve created!

cheers

neil

Thanks Woody. It won't beat me - I've given too much of my life to this one to let it get away now.

Thanks for the offer but I'm just ploughing ahead with what's at hand.  Necessity being a mother and all that.

11 hours ago, bobsyouruncle said:

To me, (although I feel the pain when things go pear shaped like that), it's also a bit of a source of comfort to me that even some of the most talented guys on here can also be faced with these little 'hurdles' to have to get over.

I've been loving watching your build and getting inspired to try things myself. 'Per ardua....' and all that.

(Says him that should pay for everyone in the house to have noise cancelling headphones for each time I drop something into the carpet for the fifth time!).

Excellent stuff. 

You could cuddle up with Tony in that new duvet of his if you're short of a comforter.

One of the great things about the forum is that you get to see different techniques and ideas in action (not from Icky though as Eric M would have said). Sometimes they work and sometimes they don't, but it's always good to try new things, particularly if it's pushing your skill limits.

9 hours ago, perdu said:

I was going to waffle on about this or that

Was, am not!

Alan this is simply the best model ever of a Wessex.

Considering you were already owner of that accolade from a while back, in junior big scale, this means to me it is unlikely ever to be bettered

Awaiting the blade fold with warm anticipation, it is going to look magnificent.

Thanks Bill.

I have to say though, that I'd take the italeri Wessex over this one any day.  Most of the fixes on that were straightforward and I really enjoyed that build.  I can't say I'm enjoying this one much at the moment though the mojo seems to be making a reappearance as the end is nigh'ish

9 hours ago, limeypilot said:

I can't add much to what's already been said. It may not be perfect, but it's still bloody gorgeous! Well, as gorgeous as a helichoptery thing can be! 😉

Here's wishing you and yours a happy Hogmanay! 

Ian

Happy Hogmanay Ian and to everyone else n'aw

Now on to today's (mis)adventures. A little bit more upbeat this time.

I had a late start today and first on the bench was the blade fold thingies. After some exhaustive research, i.e. looking at the meager handful of photos I have amassed for a few minutes I realized that there were a few bits and greeblies missing from the contraption.  I added some pins on the lower section and started trying to work out the geometry of the gangley bits. To no avail.

The instructions were less than clear, merely suggesting lengths of rod - which could be adjusted for a better fit!  It slowly dawned on me that I really needed the blades to help in figuring out the structure.  That led me on an hours detour trying to straighten the blades. Didn't work.

After about 4 hours or so messing about I put all the blade fold stuff in the safe place until I have the blades ready to fit.

I found another two or three stickers to slap on and determined that it was time to call it a day on that sort of action.  Out came the airbrush and I gloss coated everything to seal in the transfers. Stopped for a coffee and then hit everything with Alclad semi matt clear. Or was it semi gloss clear?  Who knows.  It was clear.  Close enough.

Tail pylon starboard:

PC270001.jpg

Tail pylon port:

PC270002.jpg

Fuselage starboard:

PC270003.jpg

I did find yet another issue, though I'm not entirely sure I can lay this one at Fly's feet.  The high voltage aerial front mounting bracket should go directly beneath the drain/vent thingy coming out of the beetleback - right where the L in Royal is located.  My choice now is to plonk the bracket  where it should be, obscuring the lower part of the L, or mount it slightly forward between the L and A which means the Royal Air Force will remain intact, but aerial position wrong.

My gut instinct at this point is to mount it slightly forward and be damned.

Fuselage port:

The yellow stickers seem to have toned down just a touch which is welcomed.

PC270004.jpg

As I cleaned the airbrush I suddenly thought - hey!  I can unmask the beast now. (even though the clear coat wasn't strictly cured)

Very, very carefully, I started removing the masking from the front windows with my sharpest tweezers - the only way I could get the masking to lift was by poking a sharp end under and edge of tape.

Tease shot...

PC270005.jpg

I guess the masking has probably been on here for the best part of a year and I'm surprised it came off as cleanly as it did.  In the past I've found that the masking has been on for so long and the paint has gone rock hard that the demarcation edge always cracks and leaves a rough edge.

But this one refused to budge.

PC270006.jpg

Tweezers made no impact and that front rectangle was so solid that the tweezers slipped a couple of times.  In the end I had to resort to using a scalpel to slice under a corner of the masking to get something to grip.

In the end - very pleased with how the masking behaved.  The only rough edges were at the bottom of two windows, but not too shoddy at all.  If you look at the 1:1 you will often see a white seal/gunge/gasket around the edge between the frame and the glass. I'm calling this weathering.

PC270007.jpg

I do like how the rivets have turned out on the window framing though.  It's such a distinctive feature of the Wessex. One of those things that no-one ever really pays much attention to but you'd notice something wrong if they weren't there.  I'm glad I spent the time on those.

PC270008.jpg

I had forgotten just how cruddy the interior of the windows were.  I remember making a note of this on my to-do list and it's going to be a pig of a job.  Don't you just hate those folks who manage to get beautifully clear canopies on a build? Mine always look like they've been in the Water of Leith for a few months.

There are a few small touch ups to be done - I had to tape the cockpit blanks to the fuselage to ensure I didn't end up painting the interior by mistake, so a small brush of green should take care of that.

PC270009.jpg

With the main windows unmasked I put this to the side for the evening to let the clear coat cure overnight.  I'll tackle the cabin windows tomorrow.  I'm sure I scratched on at some point so that will need polishing out.

One small step for man...

• Like 14

10 minutes ago, hendie said:

I do like how the rivets have turned out on the window framing though.

Me too. And the windows. And the tail. In fact it's all looking pretty excellent from here :) 

(See what I did there?) 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

That is looking superb Hendie!

Seeing back into the cockpit is quite nice again.

On 12/27/2019 at 12:17 AM, CedB said:

I Googled 'funny perfectionist quotes' in the hope of lightening your mood but then came across this:

"Perfection is not attainable, but if we chase perfection we can catch excellence" - Vince Lombardi.

That reminds me of the Demotivator poster: "Quality".

"The search for quality is endless - so technically it is a death march". (Tickled my funnybone when I first saw it!).

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

9 hours ago, hendie said:

high voltage aerial front mounting bracket should go directly beneath the drain/vent thingy coming out of the beetleback

Well - obviously. :laugh:

(The quoted is - if I may make so bold - a quintessential hendie sentence.)

PC270007.jpg

I do like how the rivets have turned out on the window framing though

That just looks utterly compelling in every respect. :clap2:

As to clean windows, if mine are anything to go by there's a direct correspondence 'twixt build length and a high Water of Leith (as you put it) factor...

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

22 hours ago, CedB said:

Me too. And the windows. And the tail. In fact it's all looking pretty excellent from here :) 

(See what I did there?) 

I did... so you don't like the fuselage then?     :tease:

14 hours ago, hairystick said:

That is looking superb Hendie!

Seeing back into the cockpit is quite nice again.

That reminds me of the Demotivator poster: "Quality".

"The search for quality is endless - so technically it is a death march". (Tickled my funnybone when I first saw it!).

I must remember to use that one the next time a QA is present

seeing inside the cabin after all this time is quite refreshing also - I had forgotten most of it

14 hours ago, Ex-FAAWAFU said:

Excellent unmasking shots.  I particularly love the tromp d’oeuil wavy thing under the windscreen; fab.

Something had to be done since Fly missed the complete panel.

13 hours ago, TheBaron said:

(The quoted is - if I may make so bold - a quintessential hendie sentence.)

and this build is indeed a sentence.

Another day where SMBO decided to leave me to my own devices!!!!  :penguin: and progress was sought and progress was made.

Today was one of those days where I was determined to catch up on all those small jobs which were hanging out there -y'know - the ones you keep avoiding. Ones such as the cabin step.

I had started this some time back but it got pushed to the side and forgotten about (as usual).  I was avoiding it as it was one of those jobs where Fly provide no references at all and no locations. After much faffing about I bit the bullet and hit the rods with some solder.  Everything is oversized and it's one of those jobs where you trim a bit, offer it up, trim a bit more, offer it up again, wash, rinse and repeat, and hopefully don't trim too much off when you're getting close.

PC280010.jpg

After much trimming I ended up with this likely candidate - I also soldered some locating pins to help things along.  My soldering today was less agricultural than usual, which meant things required minimal cleanup.

Masking tape on the fuselage to prevent scratches and other assorted damage... (in theory!)

PC280011.jpg

Fly do provide a step in PE so that was bent to shape and a tiny smear of solder just wetted in to hold things in place - and hoping the legs didn't fall orf!

PC280013.jpg

Drill the fuselage, pull of the masking tape and take some paint with it.. damn Alclad black stuff.    Maybe I got a bad batch but I've been plagues with the black Alclad peeling off with just the slightest of touches.  That masking tape wasn't even burnished down - just laid gently against to body to prevent the brass scratching the paintwork and the tape did more damage than anything else.

Push in the step and off we go to the races.  Much better than that scrawny piece of plastic that the kit provides.

PC280012.jpg

Then I made one of these

PC280014.jpg

But that didn't work (the wire was too pliable) so I made one of these instead - two pieces of bent rod soldered together and pushed through a section of styrene. 

Note the loadies chair has broken loose again. I'll fix it one of these days.  But anyway, what's that bent thing for I hear you ask...

PC280016.jpg

This is what it's for - it's an 'ook thingy for the loadie to tie the SACRU up to.  You thought I had forgotten about that didn't you?

PC280017.jpg

Talking of SACRU's... the SACRU needs some brackets - which I had completely forgotten about earlier in the build so now was the time to change that. 

Initially I tried clamping 4 pieces of brass together and shaping and drilling them all at once but that didn't really work out well.  I then resorted to making each bracket individually, using the first one as a template for the rest.

PC280019.jpg

They goes here, or thereabouts

PC280018.jpg

I used brass rivets to pin the brackets to the fuselage - really handy those rivets. Such a shame that Scale Hardware went under.  I believe you can still get them from other suppliers but the price seems to have skyrocketed.

Now you see them...

PC280020.jpg

Now you don't!

Hey -  I even managed to get the step all bent and twisted - just like the real thing!

PC280021.jpg

A bitty close just to prove they are actually there.

PC280022.jpg

So, the results of todays work is in

PC280023.jpg

With all that progress I thought I'd throw a few things on (dry fitted) to see how it's shaping up

PC280024.jpg

Passable is my conclusion.

I did find one small oopsie with the dry fit though - note the mounting brackets for the winch - remember the winch? - well, those brackets foul against the door rail that I added.  No major problem though - a few strategic swipes with a file should remove enough to let the brackets it flush against the fuselage.

PC280025.jpg

If things continue like this I may even be tempted to try fitting the undercarriage though I am not expecting things to go smoothly.

• Like 18

23 hours ago, CJP said:

Wow hendie  your model just radiates  quality workmanship

23 hours ago, CedB said:

…and he's back!

More great hendie greeblies - marvellous stuff :) 

Thanks Ced, thanks CJP

14 hours ago, perdu said:

Funny that, we are...

I love the SACRU brackets, just absolutely 'right'

Thanks Bill. They were a pain in the but to make but I think the end effect is worth it.  i.e. you just don't notice them anymore!

Now where were we ? 

On 12/28/2019 at 5:55 PM, hendie said:

If things continue like this I may even be tempted to try fitting the undercarriage though I am not expecting things to go smoothly.

Ah yes, the undercarriage.  Bits of brass and wotnots from many, many moons ago safely filed in-a safe-place.   So safe in fact that I found everything within a few seconds.

Way back around the second decade of this build, I had a plan.  I know I had a plan.  I should have written it down.  It took me almost a whole cup of coffee to remember what that plan was.  I think I remember it now, but who knows.

Anyways, the plan involved constructing the undercarriage from brass, aluminum, other metals, and other materials where necessary. Part of the plan was also to have those different elements of the undercarriage actually lock together with positive attachments where possible and not just glue things together - mainly because it would involve using superglue and that a) never works for me, b) always sticks the wrong things together, and c) is a secretion of Satan himself.

The main parts of the undercarriage were already completed - see earlier in this build if you're really, really bored. Now I just had to make the attachments.  The lathe was fired up and two of these almost pointy tubular thingies were made. They were remarkably similar, intentionally.  Should have been identical, but similar is good enough for Fly.

PC290001.jpg

Into the almost pointy end was drilled a Ø.5mm hole into which a length of wire was superglued. (Yes, I know I said I hated superglue.  I still hate superglue but sometimes you have no viable alternative, at least not without investing in mig and tig welders [calm down Ced] and other exotic toolery.)  Sine I used aluminum for the insert, and brass wire there really was no other way to attach them other than mechanically which would have been much more problematic. Superglue it was.

PC290002.jpg

The aluminum insert can now simply slot into the end of the oleo like this...

(yes, that will be superglued too!)

PC290004.jpg

In a rare moment of aforethought and strategic planning, when I constructed the swing arm I included a small brass tube on the upper surface with the intention of having the oleo pinned to it - just like this.

Obviously the brass wire shall be trimmed to an appropriate length.

PC290009.jpg

and the entire front undercarriage slots together like a simplified meccano set with no nuts or bolts.  There's still a bit of work to be done on the undercarriage before it's all finished.

PC290011.jpg

The swing arm was another pain to get right.  Over the years an abundance of detritus, paint and assorted varnished had agglomerated nicely inside the swing arm mounting hole.

Clean out was easy though.

PC290008.jpg

Another small issue was encountered when I tried fitting the oleo - it wouldn't fit flush against the fuselage.  A quick investigation revealed the culprit to be the brass door strip I fitted a few weeks ago.

Easily sorted with a few swipes of the file.

PC290017.jpg

And now at least the geometry looks right.

PC290012.jpg

That is, until you actually measure the darned thing.

From outer edge to outer edge I get 110mm plus a bit of metric left over

PC290013.jpg

If I check the 4+ book, inside wheel to inside wheel measures 47mm.

PC290014.jpg

A simple bit of math shows that the actual dimension on this model should be =>  47 x 72 = 3384.  Then  3384 / 32 = 105.75mm

Hhhmmnn, 5 or so mm too wide.    A bit more filing and clean up and we end up with this.... honest

PC290015.jpg

.. and it was symmetrical too - as far as I could measure.

See....

PC290018.jpg

Next up it was back to the lathe and more aluminum chip making.

This time it was to make an "axle" for the wheels.  Two different diameters on this piece - one to slot inside the brass tube on the end of the swing-arm, and a slightly smaller diameter to fit into the hole drilled on the back side of the wheel

PC290019.jpg

If I had thought ahead, I could have machined a flange on the back end of the axle and glued the wheel on after it was slotted through the swing arm tube - that would have left the wheels free to rotate.

Which would have been pretty worthless really since I had already gone a filed some flats on the tires.  It would have been a bumpy taxi!

Anyhoos, all that was left to be done was so slot the wheels onto the swing-arm using the home made axles

PC290020.jpg

image.jpg

PC290037.jpg

Now up on her own feet for the first time

PC290021.jpg

Starboard three-quarters shot

PC290022.jpg

Port three-quarters shot.  Well, more of a 7/8ths shot but close enough.

PC290023.jpg

and front, front shot

I'm quite pleased with that undercarriage and how well it has turned out.  It could so easily have been a bit of a disaster

PC290025.jpg

I was a bit concerned at first that the Wessex was sitting too high.  However, after checking references I think I am okay.

The undercarriage was made according to measurements (thanks again Roger) taken off the 1:1 so I know it's pretty darned close scale-wise. 

However, that all goes to pot if Fly have the mounting location wrong, or the height of the fuselage wrong, or the diameter of the wheels/tires wrong.

If it's sitting too high my excuse is that it's just returned from a trip to Sharp Peak and fuel is low. So there!

PC290028.jpg

Everything is just dry fitted at the moment - I wanted to take some time and soak it in before committing to gluing everything in place.

Back tomorrow if the gods be willing

Edited by hendie
  • Like 16

7 hours ago, hendie said:

I was a bit concerned at first that the Wessex was sitting too high.

We'll see when the fuel dump pipes are added. Looks good to me though. Three greens at last! (Yes, I do know the Wessex didn't do that).

Brake lines next then? :poke:

• Haha 2

On 12/29/2019 at 12:03 AM, CedB said:

More great hendie greeblies - marvellous stuff :) 

Extra-special marvellous stuff.  Every sub assembly (nonchalantly knocked-off by the maestro) is a work of art (3 times that auto-corrected to ‘tart’ :giggle:) in itself :)

I'm quite pleased with that undercarriage and how well it has turned out. 

I’m quite pleased you’re quite pleased.  Mere mortals would of course be understandably ecstatic.......

Have to say (well don’t have to but will) that the Wessex is an appealingly (had to be careful not to mistakenly say appallingly) ugly brute.  I’m sure I’ve seen an aerodynamic bit or two produced during the build but they may have got lost or ended up on the cutting room floor :whistle:  But - whatever its (or p’raps my) aesthetic idiosyncrasies, it’s a comfortably familiar sight from my yoof and I just loves its looks - and your rendition h.

• Haha 1

On 12/28/2019 at 10:55 PM, hendie said:

If things continue like this I may even be tempted to try fitting the undercarriage

He's grown positively reckless now.

That penultimate nose-on shot; it sits just beaut-ifully, with such a sense of weight and presence about it. Quality on the u/c components is just out-of-sight.

11 hours ago, hendie said:

Anyways, the plan involved constructing the undercarriage from brass, aluminum, other metals, and other materials where necessary. Part of the plan was also to have those different elements of the undercarriage actually lock together with positive attachments where possible

Admit it. You had a cigar afterwards- didn't you?

HannibalSmith.png

11 hours ago, hendie said:

superglue and that a) never works for me, b) always sticks the wrong things together, and c) is a secretion of Satan himself.

I've bandoned CA a long time back for anything but mixing up as a filler since discovering Gator's Grip. @Ex-FAAWAFU is even rumoured to be putting it on his cornflakes now, what with all that brass on the Ark he's covenanting...

Super work - what a way to enter the New Year! :clap2:

• Haha 4

I loved the way A sits on her feet but kept getting a niggly "is it really that angle to the floor?" irritator in my head.

Best thing to do? Look

So I did

20190921_130641.jpg

Absolutely bang on

Phew, now I can simply adore it

• Like 2