Wessex HC2 Crab Cabs Pt II (Fly Wessex - why on earth did I?)

hendie

1 hour ago, hendie said:

I can actually find any info on 28 Sqn Hurricanes.  All I can find is that they had the IIc version and I've found one photo on t'interweb.  The whole interweb and all I can get is one measly photo

Wasn't this 28 Sqn bird about to peck a bridge was it?

https://www.iwm.org.uk/collections/item/object/205211546

Or having its teeth put in:

https://www.iwm.org.uk/collections/item/object/205207734

8th October entry here too, from a private collection.

https://m.facebook.com/pg/RAFWW2inBurma/posts/

1 hour ago, Andy350 said:

Where are the supports you've used to paint from?  Great build BTW.

If you mean the wooden bracketry and frameworks Hendie had them made up for himself

I believe they can be made available

PM him

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, hendie said:

and at some point during the day, the mail-woman arrived bringing gifts.

PB060008.jpg

I agree with Bill on the cute little mouse, but am somewhat surprised you bought one of those awful Hasegawa Hurricanes, rather than one of Fly's superlative 1/32 kits, especially given the fun you're so obviously having with their large helicopter.... :whistle:

It's OK I've found me :coat:

Keith

(marvellous tailwheel model btw. )

• Haha 7

Hmmm... some plastic, some resin, some brass... and now he has a ‘dowel size gauge’ on the mat... interesting :hmmm:

Great soldering hendie, love it :) 

• Like 1

On 11/6/2019 at 4:54 PM, perdu said:

Nice pink mouse

tail wheel yoke not so dusty neither

you don't have a pink mouse to run and fetch bits for you Bill ?

On 11/6/2019 at 5:12 PM, Fritag said:

What? There’s different temperatures of solder? OMG - it’s all too much for me......

Amazeballs BTW :D

Different temps - very useful Steve.

If you are only soldering two parts together, you can use pretty much any type of solder.

If you are soldering more than two - if you can get them all fixtured sufficiently, then again, one solder type will do.

If however, you have a bunch of parts to solder and you can't do them all in one operation then different temperature solders come in very handy indeed.  You start off with the highest temperature solder and make those joints.  Then step down a melting temperature on the solder and you can solder the next bunch of parts - because you are using a lower temperature, the first parts you soldered don't get hot enough for that solder to melt, thus the original joints stay intact. I still try and wrap them in wet kitchen towel though... just in case. More parts... lower temperature solder and so on.

On 11/6/2019 at 5:28 PM, Ex-FAAWAFU said:

Top multi-temperature soldering, there, Hendie.  You make it all look so easy.

It's the clean up that makes it look easy Crisp

On 11/6/2019 at 6:07 PM, TheBaron said:

Wasn't this 28 Sqn bird about to peck a bridge was it?

https://www.iwm.org.uk/collections/item/object/205211546

Or having its teeth put in:

https://www.iwm.org.uk/collections/item/object/205207734

8th October entry here too, from a private collection.

https://m.facebook.com/pg/RAFWW2inBurma/posts/

Thanks Tony - I have those, but only the shot with the ammo provides any detail worth using.  I should have qualified my statement regarding worthwhile detail. Thanks again though.

On 11/7/2019 at 2:54 AM, Andy350 said:

Where are the supports you've used to paint from?  Great build BTW.

I had the stand laser cut from plywood by a friend.

On 11/7/2019 at 4:40 AM, perdu said:

If you mean the wooden bracketry and frameworks Hendie had them made up for himself

I believe they can be made available

PM him

Sadly not Bill.  I did look into making kits, and actually got a few cut before finding out that postage just makes the endeavor horrendously expensive.  Someone in the UK was looking to have some made and I provided the drawings, but I don't know what came of that.

On 11/7/2019 at 4:45 AM, keefr22 said:

I agree with Bill on the cute little mouse, but am somewhat surprised you bought one of those awful Hasegawa Hurricanes, rather than one of Fly's superlative 1/32 kits, especially given the fun you're so obviously having with their large helicopter.... :whistle:

It's OK I've found me :coat:

Keith

(marvellous tailwheel model btw. )

Karma will hunt you down y'know!

On 11/9/2019 at 1:59 AM, CedB said:

Hmmm... some plastic, some resin, some brass... and now he has a ‘dowel size gauge’ on the mat... interesting :hmmm:

Great soldering hendie, love it :) 

Ced - well spotted.  I've been using that mat for years now and never noticed that.  I'm sure it will com in handy one day.

Just a smattering of an update this afternoon. Most of the weekend was spent doing footery bits on Pegasus. (you know where to find it)

Wheels  - I spotted that Fly did not include the hollow axle so drilled a hole or two.   Eargghhh, the more I look at that Dunlop marking, the less I like it.  I think that is going to see the wrath of micro-mesh in the not too distant future.

PB090001.jpg

Then I noted that you know who, also did not include the pneumatic valve for inflating the tires.  Strange, cos they included it on the tail wheel. Anyways, a 0.3 mm hole drilled and stainless wire glued in place.

PB100011.jpg

A quick coat of gloss, followed by the application of some white decal for the creep marks

PB100012.jpg

Lastly, the tail casting got some decals. The picket point is Fly's decal which I think is oversized.  They also spelled "Picket here" as PICKED HERE.  Numpties.

PB100013.jpg

I hummed and hawed about whether to actually use the decal or not and eventually gave up humming an hawing and just went with it.  There are times to pick a fight with Fly, but this wasn't one of them - at least not today.

• Like 13

Wheeley nice work hendie, very smart indeed! :D

All this helicopter stuff is having an effect on me... I’m starting to admire their lines and, yesterday at Cosford, looked at the Wessex rotor head and thought ’Ooh, I know the names of most of those bits now. Anti-droop thingies they are.’ I shall of course be seeking medical advice (or maybe buying a kit of something, one day)

15 minutes ago, Ex-FAAWAFU said:

ROYAL AIR FARCE?

Uh oh... “Seconds out, round one” (Hastily retreats...)

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

3 minutes ago, Ex-FAAWAFU said:

Revenge after almost 4 decades of The Village People.  Oh, how we laugh.

Ah, sorry Crisp, I didn’t know... which one were you? Not the Cowboy, surely :wicked:

• Haha 2

On 11/10/2019 at 4:26 PM, TheBaron said:

Have you checked that the 'Danger' ones doesn't say 'Banger'?

Double checked...just in case.   :rofl2:

On 11/11/2019 at 1:51 AM, Ex-FAAWAFU said:

ROYAL AIR FARCE?

These days. that's probably pretty close to the truth Crisp

On 11/11/2019 at 2:08 AM, CedB said:

Wheeley nice work hendie, very smart indeed! :D

All this helicopter stuff is having an effect on me... I’m starting to admire their lines and, yesterday at Cosford, looked at the Wessex rotor head and thought ’Ooh, I know the names of most of those bits now. Anti-droop thingies they are.’ I shall of course be seeking medical advice (or maybe buying a kit of something, one day)

Uh oh... “Seconds out, round one” (Hastily retreats...)

we'll all look forward to Ced pulling out his chopper in the near future

On 11/11/2019 at 2:30 AM, Ex-FAAWAFU said:

Revenge after almost 4 decades of The Village People.  Oh, how we laugh.

It's still funny y'know

On 11/11/2019 at 2:35 AM, CedB said:

Ah, sorry Crisp, I didn’t know... which one were you? Not the Cowboy, surely :wicked:

:rofl2:

On 11/11/2019 at 3:50 AM, perdu said:

I will never be able to say "Oh chaps" again...

brought a tear to my eye that did Bill

Pretty boring stuff this go around, but I didn't want to get too involved in anything as it was one of those weekends where all that could go awry went awry.  I took a days vacation on Friday to be at home for the delivery of a new stove and microwave.  I managed to snag some free delivery and installation due to previous foobars by Lowes (sort of B&Q over here).  Stuff arrived on time but the new stove wouldn't fit due to an overhang of about 3mm of cabinet on one side.  So I needed up getting a free drop off and had to install the damn thing myself. Luckily I had an old rusty plane that soon got rid of the offending lumber.  Now I just need to get an electrician to replace the power socket as it's a big hefty beast and the new cooker won't sit flush against the wall so I need to have it recessed. Between that and mounting the new microwave it took me most of the day - and the wife had some chores in line for me too. :wall:

Then I destroyed the under-cabinet lights when replacing the microwave (they'd been bugging me for months anyway) so Amazon to the rescue, they arrived yesterday and I got them fitted this morning.

Anyhoos, yesterday I did get some time down in the basement.  First job was to eliminate the humongous Dunlop logo on the side of the tires - easy enough

PB130001.jpg

Then re-blacked and reglossed - without damaging the white creep marks.  I did a Flory wash, but I'm not too happy with it so I'll probably remove that and try again later.

PB170004.jpg

Supplies arrived this week which included some Dark Sea Grey so that was applied to the tail unit. I'm quite pleased with the way those rivets turned out.

PB160002.jpg

So while the grey was flowing I also did the cabin door, followed by some RAF Dark Green.

PB170005.jpg

Then window pushed in place - after some sanding as it was way too large for the opening.

PB170005.jpg

Now it gets nasty.  Take a ganders at this below.  Spot anything?

No, neither do I.  I mentioned a while back that I (wait for it!) found a flaw in Fly's design. This particular flaw was that they seem to have completely missed the scab panel below the windscreen leading on to the nose. That panel is very distinctive and really dominates how the Wessex looks from the front.

All we have here folks is acres and acres of blandness. Dammit!

PB170004.jpg

Well, nothing for it but to try and fake it somehow or other.  I started by marking out the center panel, taking multiple measurements to make sure the panel was a consistent width all the way up the nose. - a lot more difficult than it looks.

PB170006.jpg

Then drew in what I thought the profile should be based on references. Again this was a lot more difficult than it looked due to the complete lack of features on the Fly nose.

PB170007.jpg

Eventually, I got what I thought was a reasonable approximation of the curves - and went for it.

PB170008.jpg

That gave me my baseline that everything else is going to flow from.

Now the center strip was complete I had the two side strips to attack.  I cut a bunch of strips at 8mm long and laid them up to the center panel. That gave me a consistent(ish) spacing from the center panel

Then a long thin strip was laid along the nose following the 'spacers'

PB170009.jpg

Now to get the width of the white panel, I cut a bunch of 10mm long strips.  They were laid from the new strip and once they were in place, I then laid a bunch of shorter strips butted to the end of the 10mm strips.

The 10 mm strips were then removed, leaving only the shorter strips - which were my guidelines for the next long strip.

PB170010.jpg

Kind of like this. 

PB170003.jpg

The same technique was used on the port side though it appears I wasn't quite as successful this time around - that section either side of the grill needs redone to make the curve "flow" better

PB170002.jpg

During this endeavor I found that there is something else wrong with the Fly nose. - that white strip should partially cover the front end of the cable cover just below the cockpit door - but it's way off.

Not quite sure what's wrong - several things probably, but I'm going to live with it otherwise this kit is going to devour my retirement and probably my will to live with it.

See ya next time around folks

• Like 21

Just spent yesterday afternoon climbing round inside an HC2 up in Belfast. After following this build so long I had the bizarre sensation that  I was actually very small and stuck inside your model! :laugh:

• Haha 8

You know I'm a sucker for this kind of analysis dontcha?

The cable duct is slightly too short at the front and should just reach to the rear curve on that intake body, the model doesn't seem to

Quite

And the curve of the white stripe should cut half way across the little grille work

A very minor adjustment would sort those for you very quickly

Ignore the cable duct and reset the curved white line

Back to beauty in Walters...

• Like 3

20 hours ago, hendie said:

I'm quite pleased with the way those rivets turned out.

...I'd say "quite pleased" is the right word for those rivets...of course just ..."quite"!!!

About the 10mm strips thing...I'll read it again tomorrow, it's toolate now!!!

Anyway ...WOW...it's a pleasure to read every single page of this thread!!!

Chapeau!!!:worthy:

On ‎11‎/‎5‎/‎2019 at 6:51 PM, hendie said:

Well, Testors are discontinuing a lot of the paint line - both Testors and Model Master.   I had a frantic episode a few days ago when I realized I could no longer get the brown paint for my train build (I must check and make sure my order is actually being fullfilled). Anyways... I went to order Dark Sea Grey and guess what?  Yup, they've discontinued that too.  Dammit!

Testors and Model Master were my go to paints here in the US. Now I need to find an alternate brand.  Can anyone recommend a supplier?

That's bad news, I suspected something was up as my LHS were not restocking. The MM Acryl is my go to standard now as well, great paints for spraying. I managed to order some from a hobby store in Edmonton which worked out a buck a jar for shipping. Had I known they were discontinuing I would have stocked up a lot more, I may have to go back and get a load of my favourite RN colours. I have used Vallejo as my back up, some are good some OK, didn't like their primer, it sprays nice but it doesn't sand well and tends to peel (like satin wall paint) rather than feather. I will soon be experimenting with AK paints. Damn I'm annoyed at testers now, bleddy shysters!

Gorgeous tail buildings by the way!

Bob

• Like 1

On 11/17/2019 at 5:11 PM, CedB said:

Nice work hendie - can't wait for the next instalment :) 

(With my parts firmly hidden away, no chopper yet!)

Installment installed Ced, and glad you kept your chopper hidden

On 11/17/2019 at 5:12 PM, perdu said:

Blimey

Not quite right huh...

If only I had known when I started this.

I probably wouldn't.

On 11/18/2019 at 2:56 AM, TheBaron said:

Just spent yesterday afternoon climbing round inside an HC2 up in Belfast. After following this build so long I had the bizarre sensation that  I was actually very small and stuck inside your model! :laugh:

Tony through the Turtle deck?

On 11/18/2019 at 2:59 AM, perdu said:

You know I'm a sucker for this kind of analysis dontcha?

The cable duct is slightly too short at the front and should just reach to the rear curve on that intake body, the model doesn't seem to

Quite

And the curve of the white stripe should cut half way across the little grille work

A very minor adjustment would sort those for you very quickly

Ignore the cable duct and reset the curved white line

Back to beauty in Walters...

You got it Bill.  I added some width to the side stripes which brings it all into line (see later in this episode)... as much as "into line" can be with this kit.

On 11/18/2019 at 1:18 PM, Massimo said:

...I'd say "quite pleased" is the right word for those rivets...of course just ..."quite"!!!

About the 10mm strips thing...I'll read it again tomorrow, it's toolate now!!!

Anyway ...WOW...it's a pleasure to read every single page of this thread!!!

Chapeau!!!:worthy:

More strips this time around Massimo, and not sure if I get it myself, but it seems to work.

On 11/18/2019 at 3:03 PM, Navy Bird said:

Yikes! I suppose none of the kit deficiencies were pointed out in any of the online "reviews" were they? Not even a warning?    :doh:

Cheers,

Bill

It would be nice if reviewers were actually honest and not just making sure they're not put on the naughty list for next time around

On 11/18/2019 at 3:44 PM, corsaircorp said:

Who else ??

Amused CC

Royal Fair Ar.... oops

On 11/19/2019 at 11:18 AM, moaning dolphin said:

That's bad news, I suspected something was up as my LHS were not restocking. The MM Acryl is my go to standard now as well, great paints for spraying. I managed to order some from a hobby store in Edmonton which worked out a buck a jar for shipping. Had I known they were discontinuing I would have stocked up a lot more, I may have to go back and get a load of my favourite RN colours. I have used Vallejo as my back up, some are good some OK, didn't like their primer, it sprays nice but it doesn't sand well and tends to peel (like satin wall paint) rather than feather. I will soon be experimenting with AK paints. Damn I'm annoyed at testers now, bleddy shysters!

Gorgeous tail buildings by the way!

Bob

I've managed to get the colors I need to finish current builds Bob, but no idea what I'm going to do in future.  I've started bringing in Mr Aqueous Color as current colors diminish as that seems the best bet.

Wide bits widened as stated above.  The curvature I've added at the windscreen end of the stripes is purely for visual effect as Fly completely missed that panel. We'll see if it works. Or not.

PB230001.jpg

And this one's for Bill who noted the white stripe covers half the grille.  Upon further examination of my references, I found that over the years, those white stripes changed widths quite dramatically.  In some photo's they miss the grille completely and in others, the stripe catches the forward end of the cable cover.  I'm sticking with what I currently have or I'd be here for ever.

PB240009.jpg

As far as I can tell, it's looking symmetrical. Apart from the flaring nostril which is all out of shape. It gives it something of a Daniella Westbrook look.

PB230002.jpg

More paint arrived this week so I managed to get the last coats of white on.

PB240003.jpg

I took this shot to show the small patch that I had to keep spraying, but of course, it doesn't show up in the photo. (It's just below the strap lock).  A patch of the Alclad black primer decided to part company with the airframe and proved a bit of a pig to rectify - as did all the other patches that didn't like living on a Fly.

PB240004.jpg

Along with the new colors was some RAF Dark Green so that got pointed at the tail (which had been greyed out a week or so ago).  Finally it looks like I am getting somewhere with this build.

I spent ages looking at reference photo's and it appear the camouflage pattern was just a suggestion for the painters.  No two aircraft are the same, and even the same aircraft appears to have shifting sands of camouflage from year to year.

I envisage their instructions were of the 'make it sort of horizontal'ish but pointing up at the end, a bit squiggly, and don't forget the hump in the middle'  kind, based on the reference photos.

PB240005.jpg

Then the reveal.  A couple of small touch ups required but nothing major.  The largest was some paint peeling off the metal foil strip, which wasn't really a surprise. Easily rectified.

PB240006.jpg

Aaaaaannnnd  rectified...

PB240010.jpg

I wasn't sure what to paint the tail innards as all references suggest silver or some shade of green.  I'm never happy with a silver finish so I went with interior green, which shall get mucked up a bit over the next few sessions.

PB240011.jpg

T'other side showing some blu-tack residue.  That seems to disappear after a day or two, and whatever remains should disappear under a coat of gloss.

I am so glad to have at last reached this coloring in stage - it's the small light at the end of the tunnel for this build as far as I am concerned.

PB240012.jpg

Strips. Yes, more strips.

This shot might explain things better Massimo.  I needed to get a vertical line running up the side, over the top, and back down the other side. I calculated the line to be about 6mm from a panel line, so cut a bunch of 4mm wide strips, and a long 2mm strip.  The 4mm strips were lined up against the panel line, and the 2mm strip was then butted up to the 4mm strips.  Once I had the 2 mm strip fixed in place, I simply removed the 4mm strips and had a line running parallel to, and 6mm from the panel line.

PB240007.jpg

Repeat several times at required spacings. The get thoroughly despondent as you realize that Fly doesn't have all the panel lines in the right place.  The most obvious after all this malarkey was discovering that the horizontal panel line running rearwards from the bottom of the cabin door, isn't straight. 

Executive decision made - I'm not faffing around with this any longer. It'll do.

PB240008.jpg

So that's the state of play at today's end folks. I also discovered that the roundels on the decal sheet are the wrong one's (for these HC2's at least, so it looks like I shall need to use masks to paint the targets)

Next session should see the masking completed, followed by a splash of dark grey and then after the green I think I can start sticking on all the bits that have been lying around for the last couple of years.

Edited by hendie
  • Like 16

Bumper update and looking sharp in the colours H.

With the appearance of camo it's like this is suddenly coming out of the chrysalis.

9 hours ago, hendie said:

some paint peeling off the metal foil strip,

Sounds familiar... 😄

• Haha 1