Wessex HC2 Crab Cabs Pt II (Fly Wessex - why on earth did I?)

hendie

On 9/18/2019 at 12:46 AM, hendie said:

No actual construction will take place during this post and you're likely going to get bored by many shots of the same little part

For many of us that is a source of attraction and not repulsion, as well you know...

This is truly inspiring stuff in showing how a talented individual can now match (and in the case of Fly, clearly surpass)the standards of commercial companies in terms of accuracy when it comes to CAD based manufacture.

An exquisite artifact in its own right that is sure to look incredible in place.

👏

• Like 1

On 9/18/2019 at 1:54 AM, perdu said:

Fantasy modelling now

B- limey!

That is wondrously marvellous

Wow

I hope not Bill - I'm trying to take all Fly's fantasy and make it look more like a Wessex

On 9/18/2019 at 2:13 AM, Fritag said:

Yep - I think that about sums it up........

ta muchly Steve

On 9/18/2019 at 2:20 AM, CedB said:

'Tis a thing of beauty…

of course it is you guys - it's a Wessex!  Or at least, a bit of one

On 9/18/2019 at 7:35 AM, Ex-FAAWAFU said:

It sure tis

thanks Crisp.  (and it doesn't even float y'know)

On 9/18/2019 at 9:23 AM, heloman1 said:

That's one sweet looking MRH Alan...

thanks Colin.  I aim to please

On 9/18/2019 at 10:00 AM, phildagreek said:

wow.

thanks Phil

On 9/18/2019 at 1:22 PM, limeypilot said:

Wow, stunning H, simply stunning! 

Oh, and Happy Birthday Wessex thread, 2 years old today!

Thanks Ian, I hadn't realized that.  Hmmnn, my 1/48 build took me two years... Now ((1/48)/(1/32)) x ((731days/#leapyears)/Number of parts), carry the 1...

I think I'm still gonna be here a while

On 9/18/2019 at 2:06 PM, Navy Bird said:

I can't wait to see some paint on that! Wow, just incredible.   :)

Cheers,

Bill

Note to self: Buy CAD software. Buy 3-D printer. Talk to Divorce Attorney.

:rofl2:

On 9/19/2019 at 3:22 PM, Head in the clouds. said:

:gobsmacked:Yep, one fine piece of modelling.

you should see me in leather chaps

On 9/19/2019 at 7:40 PM, Harley John said:

That's an awesome bit of kit.

thanks HJ

On 9/20/2019 at 4:45 PM, chrislowe said:

Wow. Top job!  Impressive detail on that rotor head, and the scrivets really make the screen(s) come alive.

Thanks Chris.  Who knows what Fly were thinking when they designed this kit

16 hours ago, TheBaron said:

For many of us that is a source of attraction and not repulsion, as well you know...

This is truly inspiring stuff in showing how a talented individual can now match (and in the case of Fly, clearly surpass)the standards of commercial companies in terms of accuracy when it comes to CAD based manufacture.

An exquisite artifact in its own right that is sure to look incredible in place.

👏

Thanks Tony.  Now if only getting the color right was as easy as making it!

Dammit!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

why does this site keep posting when you use the scroll button? 

I said I would post a comparison shot - yes, I remembered to bring the bits back home with me.

I slapped the kit parts together and gave everything a squirt of primer.  To be honest, the kit effort does not look too offensive once some primer is on though when compared to the one on the left you can see just how much Fly missed.  I'm sure a lot of folks have built it as is and are quite happy with it.  However if you know the Wessex then I am sure it would cause a few shudders among the Illuminati

P9180002.jpg

Basic bluey grey applied.  'Scuse the quality of the photo's - I used flash to try and capture some of the detail and the color is now all weird.

P9210019.jpg

After that effort I painted it again.  Then it was to light and too grey.  Then I painted it again. Then too dark. Then painted again.

Eventually I ended up with something approaching the right color (as far as my memory can ascertain)

At this point I have added the 4  oil feed hoses from the reservoir, painted the rubber parts black'ish and used Testors steel to pick out the nipples and a few bolts here and there.

Flory wash applied and tomorrows task with be to try and remove the excess wash

P9210024.jpg

I don't know if this photo is any better.  I'll try and take some decent shots tomorrow

P9210025.jpg

Edited by hendie
  • Like 12

Right, get the pneumatic grease gun from the toolstore and get that job out of the way before you fit it! (27 grease nipples IIRC)

A little grey thing of beauty, Hendie. Now, scale it up, design a stand and make a fortune selling Mancave stuff.

• Haha 1

Where are my posts going ?  I responded to a number of threads this morning and now I don't see any of my posts

This isn't the first time this has happened   :angrysoapbox.sml:

What great responses they were too!

Anyhoos. Where were we ?  Ah... Wessex. Now I remember

First though, a tale of caution. 

Concrete is hard so don't go dropping things on it.   Dropping things on it, concrete that is, is not to be recommended. Not at all.   Things break when you drop them on concrete - unless they are harder than the concrete, but they can still break.  I know these things.   I have known these things for many, many years.  So why would I go an drop my freshly painted and fragile rotor head on a large expanse of concrete floor then ?

It could have been a lot worse though.  Just one clean break

P9220001.jpg

Which was quickly remedied by application of some superglue - probably the only useful application I find for superglue these days.

P9220002.jpg

Phew!    Panic over.

The reservoir dome was a bit frosty so I followed Bills suggestion of adding a coat of acrylic floor polish, and it clear(sic)ed up nicely.

P9220004.jpg

Then on the inside surface I painted some clear red for that OM15 lived in look - it could do with being a little bit darker (the OM15)

P9220007.jpg

Then I dug out the rivet strips again as I remembered Fly did not include the double row of screws down the spine of the beetleback .

P9220011.jpg

Supergoop was added to the swash plate to represent the canvas cover 'tween the gearbox and the rotor head.  After it starts hardening up, it's still quite malleable and possible to form and shape it, in this case into something a bit less geometric and more freeform

P9220013.jpg

I also found a novel way to store leftover paint from the airbrushing session.  This was leftover from yesterday but came in very handy this afternoon for some touchups.

It'll be interesting to see how long paint lasts like this.

P9220018.jpg

Lastly a quick coupe of shots of the rotor head and I promise not to bother you folks with the rotor head again for a while at least.

P9220019.jpg

P9220020.jpg

I did do some other work, but it appears my feeble mind did not issue commands to actually take any photo's of it, so I'll try and remember that for next time

toodle pip

• Like 11