Wessex HC2 Crab Cabs Pt II (Fly Wessex - why on earth did I?)

hendie

On 17/03/2019 at 16:57, hendie said:

In these godforsaken backwaters this is regarded as a "craft" beer...

I thought you were in DE? Not too far from Dogfish Head?

Cheers,

Bill (dazed and confused)

PS. Rocky Mountain Oysters aren't that bad. They taste like chicken.

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, Navy Bird said:

I thought you were in DE? Not too far from Dogfish Head?

Bill, you're close... just across the line in MD, and just below the PA line.  

Ne'er fear mon, my local liquor store has a steady supply of this magical potion, along with Dark Island, my two favorites.   

brewery-ales-house-ale-01.jpg

I have been known to resort to quaffing the local party juice every now and again, but on those more formal occasions which require dignity and respect and a degree of sartorial elegance, there's no substitute for the real thing

• Like 8

6 hours ago, hendie said:

Ne'er fear mon, my local liquor store has a steady supply of this magical potion, along with Dark Island, my two favorites.   

I have been known to resort to quaffing the local party juice every now and again, but on those more formal occasions which require dignity and respect and a degree of sartorial elegance, there's no substitute for the real thing

Not far from Yeager birthplace ??

Oh That's looking better !!

I tried Bud when I was up there but… Well no comment.

The only one I liked CONUS was the Colt 45, dubbed the strongest beer of the world !!:rofl2:

Found it in DC and Baltimore.

Sincerely.

CC

1 hour ago, corsaircorp said:

only if you call 450 miles close CC    B)

1 hour ago, corsaircorp said:

The only one I liked CONUS was the Colt 45, dubbed the strongest beer of the world !!

I remember drinking Colt 45 way back around 1977 when it was pictured on the front of some punk album... no idea which one now though

I must admit I'm not one of those who drink beer for the ABV - the flavor is the be all and end all for me.  I'm not a great hop lover either and can't abide the current penchant over here for killing beer flavor with a severe overdose of hops

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

On 3/19/2019 at 6:24 PM, hendie said:

Now, that looks like a good brew. A good lable and a very descent tankard. I'd love to taste it myself...

Colin

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

19 hours ago, corsaircorp said:

Oh That's looking better !!

I tried Bud when I was up there but… Well no comment.

The only one I liked CONUS was the Colt 45, dubbed the strongest beer of the world !!:rofl2:

Found it in DC and Baltimore.

Sincerely.

CC

Only place to drink Bud is in the Czeck Republic, where it comes from. What the US does to it .od only knows...

Beer like wine, sometimes does not travel well!!! However, brewmasters have been known to tamper with the ingredients!

Colin

• Like 5

19 hours ago, corsaircorp said:

The only one I liked CONUS was the Colt 45, dubbed the strongest beer of the world !!

Colt 45 brings back a great memory. I was 16 years old in 1970, and discovered that Son House, the legendary Delta Bluesman, was living in my home town. I borrowed my sister-in-law's car one Saturday and drove downtown to his flat. Me and my buddy spent the entire afternoon sitting with Son in his living room, drinking warm Colt 45 out of a quart bottle, listening to his stories and his music. He could still play and sing, and the dementia hadn't started yet. I will never forget that afternoon - and I still have his autograph.

Oh, yeah, this here model is the dog's danglies.   :)

Cheers,

Bill

PS. Colt 45 is awful when it's warm!

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

I sort of remember drinking Colt 45, well lots of it in a post punk / rocker / new wave haze back in the late 70s early 80s. It did not end well!

Incredible build Hendie, and please all note: I am not beer googling Hendie's build!

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

3 hours ago, heloman1 said:

I'd love to taste it myself...

1 hour ago, Head in the clouds. said:

I need to find some.

I believe the original Traquair Ale is only available bottled.  The history of Traquair House itself is fascinating (Bonnie Prince Charlie, Mary Queen of Scots etc) - I visited there on many occasions and always took US visitors there for a taste of culture and, well, beer. a great little video ca be found here... (gotta love those accents)

I just checked and see they have some new ales which I shall have to investigate to see if they are available over here.

Traquair House Brewery lies in the wing of the house directly underneath the Chapel. It dates back to the early 1700’s and was originally a domestic brewery serving the house and the estate. It was disused in the early 1800’s but never dismantled. It gradually filled with the family junk until it was completely forgotten.

Peter Maxwell Stuart rediscovered the brewery in the early 1960’s and began brewing again as an experiment in 1965 using all the original equipment and fermenting the ales in the original oak tuns, some of which were over 200 years old.

They lists stockists and where to buy the beers on their website with a number of outlets south of the border. In fact I see they even do B&B these days.

For those that are not aware of Traquair House - it's the oldest continually inhabited house in Scotland.  Inhabited by the same family since the late 1400's though the house itself is several hundred years older.  Well worth a visit.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

On ‎3‎/‎20‎/‎2019 at 11:49 PM, Harley John said:

Dunkel! Mmm, that brings back memories of a school trip to Regensburg when I was 15.

Me too !!

A christbaum celebration not far from Ramstein in 1988...

Since I can't drink ales, I was on german white wine since 14h00 after the meal !

Then I start joking with old guys and saw Dunkel coming at their table !!

When I asked for one, the barmaid told me "Aber das ist für der alten!!" That's for the seasoned men, I no longer say old men ..:rofl2:

Lord ! the evening reached an end around 2 Am…. after a lot of dunkel...

Not proud about it….

Sincerely.

CC

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

• 5 weeks later...

wow.  I can't believe it's been a month since I posted on this thread.  Life really gets in the way at times.  Circumstance has transpired to prevent me from entering the modeling cavern in recent times and when the opportunity did on that rare occasion present itself, the mojo had gone off for a vacation. 'Nuff said.

I do have an update though it is a rather pitiful compared to some of the work that I see you other lot doing... yes, you all know who you are!  You certainly know how to make a guy feel inadequate!

Anyhow,  I actually had to read back a couple of pages to find out what I had been doing - it tuned out to be the winch.  That was kind of lucky since this follows on from the winch... Das Hook!  Now where would the winch be without a hook?

Of course, as I think I mentioned before, most of the kit supplied resin hook had been trashed in transit.  Which was no great loss to humanity as it didn't really look like the 1:1 anyway.

Just for a change, I brought out the brass.  A thin sliver of tube was erhmm slivered off the end of a *cough* tube.  This sliver (part 1) was thinned/polished to within an inch, well maybe half a millimeter, of its life in order to represent the circular portion of the handle on the hook.  (I need an eejits guide to Hook terminology!)

Then a small length of rod (Part 2) was cut, rounded, then soldered to the handley thing. (Assembly 1)

P3190002.jpg

Next up, a brass tube (Part 3) was turned in the lathe to provide a groove around the circumference which was almost a waste of time as you can only just discern it here.  Then, a hole was drilled through the tube just large enough for some 0.5 mm rod.

P3170001.jpg

Now, part 2 of Assembly 1 had a small section in the center of the arc removed.  Part 3 was pushed up into the gap of Assembly 1 whereby lots of tweaking, phenargling, cussing, fettling, phenargling, cussing, and more cussing ensued until I go the 2 ends of part 3 into the 2 holes in part 3 and everything sort of looked symmetrical and evenish... sort of.

Before it had a chance to wilt, solder was employed to secure the entire shebang in place.

P3190006.jpg

A quick offering to the winch deity provided neither wrath nor bolts of lightning so I assumed it was okay to proceed.  (resiny kit hook here shown only because it made holding the brass stuff easier)

P3190007.jpg

A hook was fashioned from a section of brass rod, bent the the desired shape (or as close as I could get to it), then flattened by gently gronshing it in a vise.

Greeblies then added to make it less boring looking.

P4060008.jpg

Then assembled into sort of hook looking thing.

P4060009.jpg

Then promptly set aside.

Still in the winch general area though... There is a light mounted on the airframe just under the winch.   Difficult to see here, but once again Fly wander off into the realms of Flydom and create a completely different looking part.

AS you can see from the photo in the 4+ book,  this lamp is teardrop shaped whereas Fly decided provide a completely circular object.   It's all the little niggly things liek this that add up to be really, really annoying.

P4060010.jpg

A quick rummage found some runner which as quickly carved to shape

P4060011.jpg

then glued to the airframe, with a little strip of styrene to represent the brace on top.

P4060012.jpg

Now if I told you the cabin door was wrong, would you believe me?   I was about to glue on the kit supplied door hardware when I opted to have a quick look at the reference photo's.  Stop!

To be honest, the kit stuff wasn't actually bad - it was just the wrong size. And in the wrong location.  As the kit has large divots molded in for location, I chose to drill through, then fill the holes with plastic rod, which was then sanded flush once the glue had cured.

P4110013.jpg

The main problem was that the locking lever was positioned a tad too high on the door, and the grab handle was too long and positioned too low on the door.

When you look at reference photo's, the bottom lever stops short of the bottom of the grab handle.  The kit design had it reaching halfway up the length of the grab handle.

Slightly blurred photo offered as evidence of successful modification.

P4140014.jpg

AND as tonights episode draws to an inconclusive close I offer you this... Yet another shot of the winch in place, but this time with an 'ook attached

P4140017.jpg

I now intend to tidy up the work bench and put this to one side (temporarily) while I go back to work on the train set.

nighty night folks

• Like 13

Nice hook hendie!

Another masterclass and lots more learned: phenargling, fettling and gronshing it in a vise! :clap2:

The cussing I can do :) 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Hook-tastic!  Great to see this back

(I too have not touched a model in at least a month, so here’s hoping my real life also recedes enough for more rotary-winged goodness soon!)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Gronshing? Metric, Imperial or Up to shear and back two notches?

And, your spellchecker is set 3000 miles out. It's spelt Vice on this forum please. Tsk.

Although it seems that the forum doesn't recognise the word spelt either as it underlines it in red!

• Like 2
  • Haha 3