BAC 1-11, Scandinavian Airline System (SAS)

Viking

BAC 1-11,Scandinavian Airline System (SAS)

1:144 Airfix, with classic-airlines.com decals.

sas1.jpg

In 1968 SAS leased a BAC 1-11 from British Eagle, which was painted in full SAS colours, but retained it's British Registration (G-ATPL). I believe the reason for the lease was to alleviate aircraft shortages pending the arrival of their DC-9's. 

I rather like the old Airfix kit, but it represents the 1-11 prototype more than a production machine. However a few simple modifications make it look a lot better, see the end of this post. Having spotted this decal sheet on classic-airlines website, I thought it would make an interesting model, as not may people know SAS operated the 1-11. G-ATPL went on to serve with Dan-Air after the collapse of British Eagle

sas2.jpg

sas3.jpg

sas4.jpg

sas5.jpg

sas6.jpg

'With something else', a sister 1-11 in British Eagle colours, also an Airfix kit with classic-airlines decals.

sas10.jpg

And with part of my growing SAAS fleet.

sas7.jpg

If you have one of these kits in the stash, it is well worth building. These are the basic mods I did;

111mods.jpg

Thanks for looking,

John

• Like 32

Another great 1-11 John!

It just shows how little you need to do to make a big difference to the overall look of the Airfix kit. I really wish I hadn't sold my Airfix 1-11.

Are you going to add a DC-9 to your SAS lineup? I can recommend the Lima November decals.

Just to be pedantic, SAS actually stands for Scandinavian Airline System.

Cheers,

Ian

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Turbofan said:

Another great 1-11 John!

It just shows how little you need to do to make a big difference to the overall look of the Airfix kit. I really wish I hadn't sold my Airfix 1-11.

Are you going to add a DC-9 to your SAS lineup? I can recommend the Lima November decals.

Just to be pedantic, SAS actually stands for Scandinavian Airline System.

Cheers,

Ian

You're right Ian, it is Scandinavian Airline System. Don't know what I was thinking!

Yes, I have 2 LN sheets for the SAS DC-9 plus the kits, all ready to go. I'm going to do a -20 and -40 with them when I get around to it. So many models, so little time!

Cheers

John

That's great John, like someone else said you made a job of the Airfix kit. I remember this 'plane in SAS scheme in the 60s, Swissair (G-ATVH) and KLM (G-ATPJ) leased a 1-11 from British Eagle too for the same DC-9 reasons.

Well done !

• Like 1

That's another stunner John, really beautifully finished as always! The annotated pic. you did of the mods needed to the Airfix kit is much appreciated, I have filed it away for when (if?!) I get around to building my Cambrian one! 

Your SAS fleet looks very nice indeed & I look forward to seeing the short body DC-9 join it (that's another in my to-do pile!)

Lovely job again!

Keith

• Like 1

That looks really smart. A beautifully rendered paint finish and an attractive scheme.  A really great collection too and I really like the British Eagle rendition.   Your re-shaping of the nose cone looks superb.

• Like 1

Superb One-Eleven.

The first time I see one in this scheme.Never knew that Scandinavian operated this type.

I have 2 of these Airfix kits in the stash and your mods pic. is a great help.

Mine will appear in Swissair colors and Aer Lingus

• Like 1

Really love your 1-11s (this one and the British Eagle). As others have said, you've really nailed that nose shape and it completely changes the look of the kit.

I did one years and years ago out of the box and it just didn't look right, because I hadn't changed the nose.

Brilliant.

• Like 1

When the Airfix British United One-Eleven kit came out the Radome was more or less correct, the first British United jets (includes the prototype) and few others including some  Braniff kites in the pre Pastel/not so pastel BI schemes had the rounder shape, it was modified to the pointier version after flight testing. Airfix didn't keep up as we all know.

• Like 1