1/72 Airfix Harrier Gr.1

Val

Hi all,

• Kit manufacture: Airfix
  • Scale: 1/72
  • Type: Hawker Siddeley Harrier Gr.1
  • Extras used: Totally OOB
  • Paints and colours used: Mr Hobby Aqueous H330/H331/H332 for the Dark Green, Dark Seagray, Light Aircraft Grey camo. Vallejo Metal Color Magnesium for exhausts, Tamiya and Vallejo acrylics elsewhere. Weathered with Flory Dark Dirt and Grime, and oil paints. All sealed with Aqua Gloss.

Long time no see! To be honest with you, I got a bit disheartened by the photoshop thing so have been out of forums for a while. But, I've got a new photo setup and I'm back in! This is one I have just finished for a SiG on another forums.

This is my first inflight model and whilst I've never been too into them, I have to say I love how she looks in the air, so will definitely be doing more airborne jets! The kit, other than a few fit issues in the wheel wells that didn't affect this build, is great. Falls together! I think the surface detail looks good and, although slightly overdone for 1/72, is more than acceptable.

Here's the pics:

[fullsizeoutput_13b6-X3]  

[fullsizeoutput_13b8-X3]  

[fullsizeoutput_13b7-X3]  

[fullsizeoutput_13ba-X3]  

[fullsizeoutput_13b9-X3]  

[fullsizeoutput_13bb-X3]  

[fullsizeoutput_13bd-X3]  

[fullsizeoutput_13be-X3]  

[fullsizeoutput_13bc-X3]  

That's about it. Thank you for stopping by! As always, comments, criticism and advice is always welcomed!

Val

• Like 51

G'day Val,

A really nice effort, both the kit and its presentation,

A question, did the Gr.1 only have the single antenna just behind the canopy or has one gone missing?

Looks lovely either way,

cheers,

Pappy

• Thanks 1

Hello,Val - Welcome back to the Forum! I've had the same issues with being able to post photos after 'PB' debacle.

What a comeback too.Your 'Harrier' looks superb.The quality and detail of the painting and finishing work is spot on and so is the degree of weathering to show a busy aircraft.The 'inflight' pose looks great and puts her in her element.

😉👍 All the best,Paul.

• Thanks 1

Love your Harrier! In my opinion Harriers and Spitfires always look better displayed in flight, that said my GR 7 "Lucy" that I'm currently building will be sat on its wheels as Revell don't give an option for a wheels up version.😠

Edited by Telboy3510
Predictive text mistake.
  • Thanks 1

Thank you everyone for your kind words! It is much appreciated!

On 16/09/2017 at 9:47 PM, neil5208 said:

Nice, new mould?

Yes mate, I think 2 or 3 years old? It's a great kit!

On 16/09/2017 at 10:37 PM, gazza l said:

Very nice work Val, love the weathering, looks just right. Nice little kits aren't they? I've built both the Airfix GR-1 and GR-3 Harriers... very impressed with them.

gazza l 

Yes it's a really nice kit, recommended!

On 17/09/2017 at 9:09 AM, Pappy said:

G'day Val,

A really nice effort, both the kit and its presentation,

A question, did the Gr.1 only have the single antenna just behind the canopy or has one gone missing?

Looks lovely either way,

cheers,

Pappy

According to the instructions and kit there is only one. Although with me there is always a chance I have lost it! I didn't bother filling the other hole as there is plenty of lumps and bumps on the back of the harrier. The kit does suggest you can.

14 hours ago, Telboy3510 said:

Love your Harrier! In my opinion Harriers and Spitfires always look better displayed in flight, that said my GR 7 "Lucy" that I'm currently building will be sat on its wheels as Revell don't give an option for a wheels up version.😠

Think I've got that kit too... Is it the old Hasagawa kit?

That is a lovely Harrier, very nice finish and weathering to it.

I do like aircraft displayed in flight and some look far better for it.  How about putting a bend into that acrylic stand as if the aircraft was banking, would show off that lovely underside....?

Phil

• Thanks 1

42 minutes ago, Booty003 said:

That is a lovely Harrier, very nice finish and weathering to it.

I do like aircraft displayed in flight and some look far better for it.  How about putting a bend into that acrylic stand as if the aircraft was banking, would show off that lovely underside....?

Phil

Thanks Phil, yes I might try that. I have the other half of the rod left if it goes wrong!

That's a very smart looking Harrier and a great way display it.  I particularly like the wear and tear on the drop tanks.  On the strength of this mine has moved several places up the stash.

• Thanks 1

On 18/09/2017 at 10:00, Val said:

Thank you everyone for your kind words! It is much appreciated!

Yes mate, I think 2 or 3 years old? It's a great kit!

Yes it's a really nice kit, recommended!

According to the instructions and kit there is only one. Although with me there is always a chance I have lost it! I didn't bother filling the other hole as there is plenty of lumps and bumps on the back of the harrier. The kit does suggest you can.

Think I've got that kit too... Is it the old Hasagawa kit?

Certainly is, great little model. The only problem is there is a problem with the moulding on the tail fin, on one of the panel lines. Tried to rescribe it but made a hash of it, so ended up filling both sides. The experts will notice it but I can live with it. Hope to do the Airfix GR9 next just to compare, and I love Harriers.

Edited by Telboy3510
Predictive text error.
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Telboy3510 said:

Certainly is, great little model. The only problem is there is a problem with the moulding on the tail fin, on one of the panel lines. Tried to rescribe it but made a hash of it, so ended up filling both sides. The experts will notice it but I can live with it. Hope to do the Airfix GR9 next just to compare, and I love Harriers.

Oh yes, I know the panel line you mean. I did a less than brilliant job on it myself.... I have tried to hide it with weathering!!

That is a quite fantastic-looking Harrier! I really like the in-flight look I have to say - it shows the aircraft in its natural environment :D Can I ask how you create the wear and tear on the drop tanks? Is that a layer a silver and a liquid masking solution or something else?

• Thanks 1