USS Lexington CV-2 1/700 Meng Models

This my Meng Models 1/700 USS Lexington.

DSCF2092.jpg

When I bought this I hadn't realized it was a snap-together kit but to be honest it builds very quickly into a reasonable model of this distinctive carrier.

The model was built straight out of the box with little modification. I used the kit as a bit of a practice piece as I hadn't completed any naval subjects for a while. I can't comment on the accuracy of the kit or indeed my interpretation but I enjoyed the build and finishing. All the paints are Lifecolor and the only changes are the aircraft decals have been taken from a GMM set (the kit supplied marking are self-adhesive, nicely printed but a bit toy-like).DSCF2110.jpg

DSCF2113.jpg

DSCF2080.jpg

DSCF2082.jpg

Thanks for looking!

Cheers

• Like 20

Nicely done!B)

The only quibble I'd have would be the markings on the aircraft as they don't fit the period the model depicts the ship, which is late 1941 to April 1942. For immediate pre-Pearl Harbor they should have the red dot in the centre of the star with only one roundel in left upper and right lower positions plus the fuselage ones. After PH to late May 1942 they still had the red dot but the roundels would be the six positions with the addition of red and white tail stripes. After that to mid-1943 the marking are as you've made them.

Mike.:)

1 hour ago, MikeR said:

Nicely done!B)

The only quibble I'd have would be the markings on the aircraft as they don't fit the period the model depicts the ship, which is late 1941 to April 1942. For immediate pre-Pearl Harbor they should have the red dot in the centre of the star with only one roundel in left upper and right lower positions plus the fuselage ones. After PH to late May 1942 they still had the red dot but the roundels would be the six positions with the addition of red and white tail stripes. After that to mid-1943 the marking are as you've made them.

Mike.:)

Cheers, Mike

I know about the aircraft markings but as this was a quick build and finish using pretty much what was in the box I didn't want to go any extra expense in buying extra decals. The kit provided markings are quite well printed and include the rudder stripes but they stickers and just didn't look right when I tried out a couple. I did think about painting the red dot freehand but opted not to in the end.

1 hour ago, Kris B said:

Good job. Bit tricky question - where is the smoke as she is moving :hmmm:?

Good question! The photo I used to model the wake shows only a little smoke coming from the stack. I wasn't going to try and replicate that and I don't do Photoshop :D

Cheers!

• Thanks 1