Mike

New Ultimate Sanders

Ultimate Products

boxtop-sanders.jpg

boxtop-thinny.jpg

You might be getting a bit of déjà vu here, but I can assure you that you are reading a whole new review, as Ultimate have revised their sanders a tad, now adding the word waterproof into the description, and colour coding them, which would be useful if I had any form of memory.  There are two shapes – the thinny sanders have a long narrow section that is very useful for detail sanding, with a shorter handle that is approximately three times the width, and allows sanding of larger areas without having to change sticks.  The others have a roughly rhomboid form factor, and I say roughly because one side has sharp angles, while the other is gently curved.  One of the sharp ends are rounded and the other is square, so you have plenty of different shapes to play with.

They are easy to use, and flexible enough to allow you some degree of latitude when handling them.  The thinnies have a tapered tip, which means you can get into even smaller places, and with their now documented waterproof nature, you can wet-sand with impunity.  I have used the older ones wet, and they stand up pretty well, although occasionally some of the abrasive would peel away under prolonged use.  This shouldn't be a problem now, even though it was only a little one.  The thinnies come in packs of 6 and the thickies(?) are sold in packs of 3, with the thinnies having the same grit on both sides and the standard ones having two grits per stick.

The samples arrived weeks ago, but because of the lack of modelling time I've had, they had to wait until I'd had time to use them before I could get the review done.  They've been my primary finishing sticks now since they arrived, and have been useful as well as capable.  When they clog during dry sanding (I was sanding resin at the time) they can be washed clean, which extends their lifespan, so they should last well.  Now I just need a set of waterproof coarser sticks to complete the set.

Thinny Sticks 800 & 400 (6 packs)

thinny.jpg

800 grit x 6

bin.jpg

400 grit x 4

bin.jpg

Sanding Sticks 400/800 x 3

sander.jpg

bin.jpg

Review sample courtesy of

logo.png

• Like 2

• 1 year later...

These look nice, but I doubt they are/will be available here in the Philippines. Too bad, I would have liked to try them out. They do give me ideas on how to make my own, plus they give me confidence to go with a lower grit paper than my current supply of 1200,1500 & 2000 grit wet/dry paper. I have some double sided foam tape that I planned to use in making my own sanding sticks, creativity in the Philippines goes beyond the kit.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Stalker6Recon said:

These look nice, but I doubt they are/will be available here in the Philippines. Too bad, I would have liked to try them out. They do give me ideas on how to make my own, plus they give me confidence to go with a lower grit paper than my current supply of 1200,1500 & 2000 grit wet/dry paper. I have some double sided foam tape that I planned to use in making my own sanding sticks, creativity in the Philippines goes beyond the kit.

Hi Stalker

We ship via tracked courier worldwide, even the Philippines!  We have many happy customers there already.

We currently have three Australian retailers that you can purchase from and soon, will have a Japanese retailer too.  These are all in your neck of the woods....lol

All the best

Lee 😊

On 3/30/2019 at 6:17 PM, Ultimate Products said:

Sure do, here you go.....

www.umpretail.com

Checked out the site, looks really good for these sticks and a whole lot more modelling gear, look forward to buying from in the future. I need to space out my online orders for financial reasons, so these will have to wait until my next big supply buy.

Thanks again for the link, yet another added to my endlessly growing modelling links that continue to accumulate daily, sincerely, Anthony Stalker6recon

• Like 1