Difference between Vallejo polyurethane & acrylic gloss varnish?

Valleyofvallejo

I use the polyurethane varnish; can't say about it yellowing yet. Out of the bottle I find it thick and doesn't brush out well, it dries very fast, so I thin with water, about 1:1, maybe a bit less water than that

19 minutes ago, Black Knight said:

I use the polyurethane varnish; can't say about it yellowing yet. Out of the bottle I find it thick and doesn't brush out well, it dries very fast, so I thin with water, about 1:1, maybe a bit less water than that

Does water work as an effective thinner?

I assume that you are asking about the Premium varnishes, as these are the only poly varnishes still in production as far as I can tell; the others are resin. I spray them neat; but if necessary, they should be thinned with the Premium reducer. Airbrush thinner can be used as well (and I have tested this), but water is not recommended. Vallejo also advises that excessive thinning will weaken the varnish's properties.

I see, that's the old product to which I alluded yesterday. I believe that it's discontinued because it disappeared from the catalogue quite some time ago and the only poly varnishes are the Premiums.

On ‎15‎/‎09‎/‎2017 at 11:33 AM, Valleyofvallejo said:

It's this: VALLEJO-POLYURETHANE-GLOSS-VARNISH--200m

I believe that this range is current and easily available in Gloss, Semi-gloss and Matt and are available in 60ml and 200ml bottles.  Also available is the standard Acrylic varnish in Matt, Semi-gloss and Gloss that are in 17ml and 60ml bottles.

It may still be on sale somewhere, but as I said, it's not in the catalogue, so I could not find any instructions for it. Other than what the label advises, pretty much the only sources of instructions or info about it now would be to ask a stockist or, if they're not sure, contact Vallejo. I have done that before and it is responsive to questions.

1 hour ago, Ade H said:

It may still be on sale somewhere, but as I said, it's not in the catalogue, so I could not find any instructions for it. Other than what the label advises, pretty much the only sources of instructions or info about it now would be to ask a stockist or, if they're not sure, contact Vallejo. I have done that before and it is responsive to questions.

It is listed in their current catalogue  that is able to be downloaded directly off the Vallejo website and is dated January 2017 ( CC75-Rev.15 ) and is on page 85 on the Auxiliary Products. I am able to purchase it locally here in Australia as it is in production and easily available from our local distributor.

Additionally I found the product listed on the Vallejo website as you click on the drop down list at the upper right hand side of the main Vallejo website and choose Auxiliary from the Fine Arts and you will get a long list of products that includes the Polyurethane range of vanishes. And in the UK the distributor is Creative Models.

Edited by Mick4350

On the instruction on the three bottle of Polyurethane varnishes it states,

" Waterbased  polyurethane varnish. permanent and very resistant. Dries to touch in one hour. To achieve a uniform coating, apply 2 coats of varnish in 4 hour intervals. Clean up with soap and water. Can be used directly with airbrush of needle size 0.4mm without dilution. "

" Chemical composition: Polyurethane polymer dispersion. "

I use the vallejo airbrush thinners to thin mine out for both brush and airbrush application. Seems to work ok and haven't had any issues. With regards to yellowing, can't confirm or deny as the oldest model I have that is varnished with this stuff is only 6 months and it's still in pristine condition