Dominican F-47D NMF and F-51D

RidgeRunner

Does anyone out there know which block number the F-47s supplied to Dominica were? I have a Revell -30 in the pile and hope that this would work?

Also, is there any producer of FAD decals for the F-51D in 1/72?

Thanks in advance.

Martin

Edited by RidgeRunner

Your plan sounds good as all Dominican P-47s were indeed Block 30 aircrafts.Original serial numbers were in the 44-32xxx range apart from four aircrafts in the 44-90xxx range. There's no confirmation of the original serial for another 4 aircrafts but these are also known to have been D-30s.

Edited by Giorgio N

Martin, my source is not secret but simply this book:

https://www.amazon.com/Republic-P-47-Thunderbolt-Chapter-American/dp/0962586013

It's only 64 pages but even if P-47s and Latin American air forces are not really my main interest, it's a book I love, packed with information and very well researched. It's one of those books that show the love of the author for the subject. Unfortunately it's OOP, got mine some years ago at a second hand book shop.

In the appendix are known serials for all P-47s serving in Latin America (including the Portorico ANG aircrafts), with correspondance between local serial and the original USAAF serial number.

You certainly were!!!!! Could I ask: would you scan and send me relevant pages/images of FAD F-47s from the book? I'd like to think I would repay you with something similar one day ;)

Thanks in hope!

Martin

On 9/14/2017 at 11:02, RidgeRunner said:

Does anyone out there know which block number the F-47s supplied to Dominica were? I have a Revell -30 in the pile and hope that this would work?

Also, is there any producer of FAD decals for the F-51D in 1/72?

Thanks in advance.

Martin

Aztec 72-014 Had Dominican Mustangs on it.

https://www.scalemates.com/kits/197231-aztec-models-72-014-mustangs-i

2 hours ago, RidgeRunner said:

Of course, I should clarify. It is the NMF I'm seeking, if they were ever produced by anyone! ;). The camo vesion is coversd in the Airfix F-51D and other decal sets.

Martin

The only NMF ones are an A and a C. The Ds are camo and gloss black.

dom001.jpg

22 hours ago, RidgeRunner said:

Thanks again, Julien

No worries, I have a spare of this sheet if you are interested. I got 2 of both their mustang sheets as I was not sure I would see them again.

Notice the Aztec decal sheet (already sold out) have the early Dominican roundels (like a RAF roundel with a white cross over it) that were applied to the all-black P-51D, and NMF P-51C and the (astonishing) P-51A flown by Brazilian mercenaries paid by Trujillo in the late 1940s. The more commonly known roundel (with alternate blue-white-blue and red-white-red sectors) was used from the 1950s on. Surprisingly, decals for 1950s NMF Dominican P-51Ds appeared as a bonus on the Hobbycraft decal sheet for their 1/72 P-51B/C, complete with roundels, rudder checkerboard, sharkmouth and the Escuadrón Ramfis bage, along with numbers for a bunch of aircraft, in both 1/72 and 1/48 scales, with no comment or mention whatsoever in the instruction sheet (this boxing: https://www.scalemates.com/kits/1008078-hobbycraft-hc1325-p-51-b-c-mustang).

BTW, the Escuadrón Ramfis was named after Ramfis Trujillo, the illegitimate son of the dictator, a playboy wastrel who was allegedly appointed by his father a Colonel of the Air Force at the age of four; by the age of nine he had ascended to the rank of Brigadier General. The camouflaged sharkmouthed examples on the Aztec decal sheet are later incarnations of the originally NMF planes of that squadron.

Edited by Hhhalifaxxx

Thanks Mikkel! Now on order! ;). I've actually ordered 2 as it looks like the rindless are correct and the right size for other projects.

all the best,

Martin

Edited by RidgeRunner

Hi Mikkel,

The HC arrived and is looking good so far. The decals appear slightly yellowed but I'll work on that . I have a second in the post from another source so that might be better. A nice touch is a couple of Ramfis badges, giving me more opportunities for other builds! ;)

Martin 

Edited by RidgeRunner

3 hours ago, Mikkel said:

The caza ramfis with sharkmouth never flew with p-51a/b/c models only P-51D.

That's right. It is a D I am planning. I will have a couple of HC P-51Bs after this if anyone is interested in them?

thanks for the offer of help. Where I would need help is tying up serial numbers with flight colours and tail codes. I will probably be going for a blue nose, serialled 1914. I do fancy a white nose, though, but have no serial tie ups. 

best regards,

Martin

Edited by RidgeRunner