JV44 stripe size?

Gardner95x

Hey,

Bought the Tamiya 1/48 FW190D-9 JV44 with the red and white bottom.

I've painted the bottom white and am now masking the stripe bits however I don't know what size masking tape I'm supposed to use, it doesn't say in the instructions and on various sites they all seem to be a different size depending on who built them.

On eBay the sizes I've wrote down are 2mm, 3mm, 5mm, would any of these the correct size?

the stripes may have varied between planes,   and there are only a few, so yopu may wanty to ask exactly which one.

I doubt it will be a regular size, as the originals were done in metric (what's a visible size Hans, 10 cm?)  and 1/48th is imperial based... get a calculator out and do some sums..

eg 100 mm divided by 48 = 2.0833 mm,  so I try that to start

10 cm is guesstimate from looking at these.  ..off hand I don't know which plane  is which in these, I'd suggest getting a uc door, and working out a size by eyeball, and then measure that and ponder on the full metric size...

super.jpg

25d379c001df2b752613dca290601590.jpg

tumblr_mt539kyrgv1r0mxzeo1_500.jpg

JV44.jpg

@Jerry Crandall  who posts here on occasion might know though.

Eduard also did a Jv44 special edition boxing, and the instructions should be available online as pdf, and that may have more information, look on the Eduard site here

https://www.eduard.com/store/Aircraft-and-helicopters/1-48/Fw-190D-JV-44-DUAL-COMBO-1-48.html?lang=1&cur=1

no size listed.

The JaPo book may have some info,. but mine is not too hand.

HTH

T

• Like 3

As Troy said, these were not a factory standard,perhaps try a little experiment. Cut a couple strips of tape 2mm wide and perhaps slightly longer than the wing cord, repeat with 3mm strips and perhaps even 4mm wide. Using the pictures Troy linked, try the  strips and pick the one that most closely matches the relative width in the pictures

Edited by Chuck1945
grammar
  • Like 1

On 13/09/2017 at 16:52, Troy Smith said:

Eduard also did a Jv44 special edition boxing, and the instructions should be available online as pdf, and that may have more information, look on the Eduard site here

https://www.eduard.com/store/Aircraft-and-helicopters/1-48/Fw-190D-JV-44-DUAL-COMBO-1-48.html?lang=1&cur=1

no size listed.

22 minutes ago, Wm Blecky said:

Eduard does this kit in 1/48 scale.  Why don't you go over to their website and check out the kit and instructions.  Should give you plenty to work with.

see above, with link,  no stripe size listed in the Edaurd instructions I could see on a brief read.

No response from OP as yet.

as I also said,  @Jerry Crandall  would be a good member to ask, he wrote this

Crandall%20Top.jpg

the book is OOP AFAIK,   and expensive used.   As it'sfrom 1999  I suspect more information has come to light since.

@tango98  alsomay know more?

Im no expert here but going on the first photo you've posted. The one with the GI smoking. His hand is approximately the same size as the white stripes on the landing gear door. Now for arguments sake lets say the palm of his hand looking from above the width is four inches. In 1/48 1 inch = 48 scale inches. So 1/4" is 12 scale inches. Four inches in real life scaled down is approximately 1/12th of an inch. Now im not real good with metric but an inch is roughly 25 mm correct ? 1/12th of an inch would be roughly 2mm by my guestimation ? If im wrong and someone else knows the correct math or answer to the stripes width please help. But id try the 2mm tape for the stripes.

hope this helps

• Like 1

As another option, if someone has the Eagle Cals decal sheet, the OP could ask them to scan it and the all the OP would have to do is scale up the image to 1/48 or, of course, just buy the 1/48 sheet ;)

Edited by Wm Blecky

Scaling off various drawings, including the ones on this Eagle cals one on this page & the Eduard pdf gives a stripe width of very close to 2mm as near as I can measure. I'm also pretty sure that no one id likely to have measured the original ones so these will all be an educated guess. Eduard shows the stripes under the tail as being slightly narrower than the wings & fuselage stripes, maybe about 1.5 mm. For me, I'd be happy with those measurements.

Steve. 

• Like 2

image.jpg

just remembered I have this sheet in 1/48, used a few years back. 

1.5mm in size 👍🏿

I have the Eduard jv44 boxing but I think you have to paint the stripes, they don't provide any decals for those like in this set. That kit is buried deep in the stash. 

• Like 2

I'm almost convinced that the stripes were white, as shown on every reference, but I've never quite understood why it wouldn't have been easier and quicker to mask the 76 undersides and just spray red for the same effect.

Edited by bil
Grammar

49 minutes ago, bil said:

I'm almost convinced that the stripes were white, as shown on every reference, but I've never quite understood why it wouldn't have been easier and quicker to mask the 76 undersides and just spray red for the same effect.

The colour photograph of 'Red 1' posted above pretty much ended the debate about the colours. They were clearly red and white.

There are plenty of images of these aircraft to work with when working out the stripes (there is one each of Red 3, Red 13, and Red 1 in B+W posted in this thread). I've always masked and sprayed these markings and have intentionally not made the stripes identical.

Cheers

Steve

57 minutes ago, bil said:

the same thought occured,  but many late war 190's did  not have undersides in overall 76,  there are detailed breakdowns f the undersides in the JaPo books,  which varied depending on who built them (many subcontractors) and when.

FWIW, a US report on one of the 190Ds states ".......lower surface of wings and tail painted red with irregular white stripes....."

It doesn't specify which aircraft but given the pressing circumstances of the times it is entirely possible that all of them were so painted.

• Like 1