Airfix Sea Vixen, with some aftermarket help

Christer A

I was more referring to the amount of filler I'd use to plug those gaps in the second to last picture.:smile:

No need to do some special abrasive surface treatment on the parts, let me have some fun with them!

• Haha 4

Next fail, but this is better

Soon be there

IMG_20180523_114057.jpg

Too much sunlight but as its a frail anyway this is showing I'm on track

Needs more attention to wingtips and bubbles, is all

IMG_20180523_113834.jpg

Lots of flash to throw away

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Im using about sixteen or seventeen ml per pour, the trouble I'm having is losing some as it sets through the cutaways left for opening the mould

I may try a remould using a different pattern of framing, we'll have to see how today goes

I'm really enjoying this, alchemy

Still waiting for the gold ones to pop out though

Anyway, must go the most recent fill is almost ready for 'the reveal'

Catch you in a short while

• Like 3

You'll be lucky

Er message to Christer and Crisp

I am not happy with the present moulds and will be trying ...something else

Refinement beckons

Laters guys

• Like 1

Ah well, I'm no expert which was one reason I offered to help out

This way I get to learn what works and does not

I found that plan A was OK but not very effective

So now I am trying plan B which means letting air bubbles rise unrestricted instead of trapping them under the 'best finished' surface 

Hence I trying this method of a: making the fill zone wider and b: allowing an escape route for mixed air in the resin

The two sticks attached (only with cockpit glue Crisp, it will pull off later) will be at the bottom of the casting mould and will I hope show there is a full mould when the resin dribbles through

IMG_20180525_130300.jpg

Old PC World giveaway CDs provide me with all sorts of useful clear glazing pieces, this might be the best use so far for discards

First piece inside the part built case. 

IMG_20180525_130307.jpg

Allowing some space at the back for latex to cure and now the next piece will be mounted

IMG_20180525_130727.jpg

The second part now in place, before I close the box all the edges where the kit bits sit will be sealed with cockpit glue so there is a defined piece of mould for resin to fillfill

When everything has set I will lay a top section on the starboard wing end piece with sellotape, hopefully the sellotape will permit easier separation of mould halves

That didn't work last time when I sprayed silicone in layers, a solid film might be better

We'll know soon enough

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Perdu

You describe your mould material as latex rubber (ie tree sap)- if indeed the case, I have found this to be a b---er for shrinkage when casting resin- so much so I'm convinced some of the more notorious commercial casters must be using it! Silicone RTV is far more stable.

Actually, latex moulds will shrink anyway over time and to a surprising degree.

Don't fret dear chap, the moulding material is returning 'same size' castings, my present problem is me!

I have been attempting to cast both at the same time and this has caused me problems getting a suitable fill quotient into the 'holes'

Coupled with a disability brought on by a bad back this meant not much time to spare in the garage

However a general improvement in health allows me time to see if I can pop out a couple this morning

I'll be reporting back later

Christer I am sorry this has taken so b..... long to get them out, should be at the Post Office this week

There will also be Mail for west of the meridian Tony, getting out can be a bit of a trial just lately

:(

• Like 1

On 5/25/2018 at 1:36 PM, perdu said:

hopefully the sellotape will permit easier separation of mould halves

That didn't work last time when I sprayed silicone in layers, a solid film might be better

I'm liking the sellotape idea to get a better release for the silicone to silicone, nice idea. I sometimes have similar trouble in separating the silicone halves.

Terry

• Thanks 1

Calling these done Christer

No heating of the donor shapes, so no distortion, Thank you for the loan Crisp

I need to get to the Post Office now/this week

Packages for Ireland Norway and Salisbury to post

P1010361.jpg

Casting surfaces are the same as  the mouldings, although there is flash to remove

The voids visible are air trapped between each side skins, they do not affect the actual surface

yeehaw, another experiment hits the ground running, I'm moderately chuffed

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Brilliant work on the castings Bill! Absolutely marvellous. For Christer it might be worth digging out the largest bubble cavities during construction and filling them so that there isn't a nasty accident with a fragile surface later on...

Regards,

Adrian

• Like 1

2 hours ago, AdrianMF said:

Brilliant work on the castings Bill! Absolutely marvellous. For Christer it might be worth digging out the largest bubble cavities during construction and filling them so that there isn't a nasty accident with a fragile surface later on...

Regards,

Adrian

I suppose that is a good idea, maybe pump a little superglue gel in the inner face of the holes or something

I wouldnt like to attack them myself though, hate to have to fiddle about with somebody else's model

5 hours ago, perdu said:

Calling these done Christer

Amazing castings Bill, but that means you have actually made something in 1/48 .................... maybe its time to go to One True Scale confession? 🤣

Brilliant stuff.

Terry

You've really done some great casting here Perdu & made this Sea Vixen a goer again - pressures on you Christer A as we are all waiting to see this one finished

CJP

• Haha 1

Nah, the pressure is on me and The Post Office for a day or so

Christer, one of the air bubbles is thin enough to distort it so filling it from the back is an excellent idea

I'll send you the good uns and a couple of the fails in case you feel like using  them as patchpieces

just because...

:)

• Like 2

Pressure makes diamonds they say...

(or not! http://dilbert.com/strip/1998-02-28)

Bill, I look forward to whatever you'll send, and I hope that all postal services involved don't to their utmost to sabotage this shipment.

Over here we have something called Postnordlotteriet which is a pun on Postkodlotteriet that comes from the unholy marriage of the Swedish version of Who wants to be a millionaire with a postal code lottery. Let's just say that sending stuff through the postal office over here (The Swedish Postal office merged with the Danish Postal office almost a decade ago and formed Postnord) is a lottery nowadays and one never knows when stuff will arrive anymore.

• Sad 2

Today I recieved a padded envelope with quite a few injunctions to post office people that the contents are fragile, and not bendable, so please handle with care.

All the dots it the streetname was also present, top marks for that!

In it, I found this:

42800731781_ca81c5497a_o.jpg

Ok, these are the bad ones... I must say that the finish is really good, probably equal to Arifix plastic more or less. I'm going to test both primer, filling air bubbles ,sanding and gluing on these before proceeding with the main course:

27931907137_1d14777ab5_o.jpg

Ah yes! Fully formed, with all the contours in the right places and just one area were the resin has sunken a bit, but all in all this is excellent!

I'd never been able to produce this myself, in any form.

Bill, Crisp - you two are too kind, and I cannot thank you enough!

Now, let's get this show back on the road!

42800731551_6a9d37f8d0_o.jpg

• Like 10
  • Thanks 2