Airfix Sea Vixen, with some aftermarket help

Christer A

What a catch up. 🤩 I saw this a while ago Christer but it’s taken me a whole journey back from Bath today to read all Six and a bit pages. I have one of these in the stash too and have been looking forward to reading this thread as I know your work is always top drawer. The build so far has been stunning and what a terrible stroke of luck losing the wing parts. 😫 Bill and Crisps help in getting the new parts built is everything I love about BM ❤️ what a show af faith for like minded friends. Bravo to you guys. I’ll stay up to date now. Looking forward to seeing what goes on next.

fair winds sir.

John.😀

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On ‎14‎/‎06‎/‎2018 at 21:58, CJP said:

Fabulous result Christer A - great co-operation by all concerned

CJP

I couldn't have put it better myself!

Martian 👽

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for all your support and kind words guys! I cannot agree more about this community, it's really something extra.

John, calling my builds top drawer stuff? That makes me grow quite a few cm taller actually!

The Vixen will get a lot more love once I finish my PBJ-1J, but vacation is only 3 weeks away and hopefully all modelling will get extra attention, unless the family insists on going to the beach, or small cafés on the countryside etc. You never know!

• Like 3

Have a great holiday

Remember the times of family fun are what you need most

And no struggles with crappy broken cars at all

I'm glad you can use the pieces, I have kept the last mould blocks just in case of...

I'm sure I'm speaking for Crisp as well as myself!

A community like ours is good because it is us being ourselves

Always happy to help and if it means rising to a bit of a challenge I get as much out of it as whoever is being helped

Fun baby, Telford approaches now I'm back from Le Mans

😨

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Hello everyone!

With no official end to the current heatwave and lots of attention to Canadair CL-415 and their adventures in the northern part of Sweden, I've managed to do a little more on the Mighty Sea Vixen.

I found that I need to do some surgery to the resin wings, due to some nasty bubbles

41807900120_47c4c792ba_o.jpg

My idea was to take the leading edge from the extra wing, since that was bubble free and just attach it to the better one.

Just a slight cut here...

42898262314_6413ee6842_o.jpg

And plug the hole with some plastic

42898260254_1cedb52363_o.jpg

That should take care of the worst sinkholes.

I also needed to fabricat some new hinges for the ailerons

41807899930_c0358807fa_o.jpg

All in all, the wings are starting to get a seal of approval, and appears to fit with the upper wings.

42898260644_3b400dd857_o.jpg

Let's shoot some primer to see how it looks.

41807898660_c2eb606af4_o.jpg

Not too bad actually!

The left one is more or less ready to install now, but the right one will need some more work.

41807897570_996b8ed8b2_o.jpg

Let's see if I can scribe those little round access hatches back or not...

• Like 9

Just a little side issue to all this casting- for a model railway project I've been playing with some Axsom Epolam 2017 epoxy resin sold for embedding clear casting. My results are full set at paper thickness, zero bubbles (due to longish pot life?) and excellent dimensional reproduction with glass clarity. The only caveat being that very thin sections may take 2-3 days to fully cure, even in our current heatwave.

Resin courtesy North East Fibreglass in the UK.

Hello Christer !

Wow, and another kit saved ! You did great as our friends here have done too !

BM is really a great community !

Another FAA bird who is nearing the painting booth !

Can't wait to see her finished. So far, I resisted to open my own boxes.... :whistle:

Sincerely.

CC

Christer if you need me to make another wing panel I still have the latex mould

I just do not fancy trying to do both at once again, that was not enjoyable

(But 'one-at-a-time' will be fine now I know how to control myself)  ;)

Thanks everyone!

Bill, I thank you extra much for the offer, but I'll make do with what I have.

In worst case I'll just lose the access hatches and I can live with that, or shop around for suitable tools to sort it out  ☺️

Edited by Christer A
  • Like 1

Oh oh, tool urge alert

Somebody lock up Ced and Tony whilst we work out how to cut oval templates in thin 'shim' brass

It ought to be possible to trace the hatches on paper then transfer them onto a sheet of metal to be drilled out and filed smooth

If my memory serves me well there are only a couple of shapes needed, must get a look at the offcuts later when I become Billdamodaller instead of Bill the dinner eater

😨

• 1 month later...

I FINALLY took the plunge and glued in the outer upper wings, and joined the left under one.

42181857_10209609002780589_8811446383534

Still some more sanding to do on the other one and quite a few panel lines to scribe back.

But on the flip side, I got the Vulcan intakes filled and sanded to and acceptable level!

• Like 4

• 7 months later...

Sea Vixen, Sea Vixen, Sea Vixen....

In order to lift the mojo a bit higher, I decided to test a new thing.

Adding fasteners to the small inspection hatches on the under side. I figured that the underside would have the most of them and started to mark the spots with a pen.

46961783114_270e59d8b0_o.jpg

This is strictly by the rule of cool, and probably have no bearing on the actual locations or functions but I needed to do something.

47750997041_9734f532b5_o.jpg

47750997041_9734f532b5_o.jpg

It didn't turn out half bad , but I started to use an awl after I had broken my 0,3mm drill.

Fortunately the 0,4mm drill was still in one piece ad a lot sturdier.

I finally have a primer coat on the entire under surface. There are quite a few places where filler is needed, but that's probably my fault all.

47750996931_8c1ff8d129_o.jpg

For the weapons, I'll go for rockets, jut because it looks meaner, and I can't be bothered to paint up those Firestreaks.

47698323412_192814e382_o.jpg

These should be decalled and fitted on their pylons as soons as the pylons and tanks are painted properly (and have some fasteners added!)

In the meantime, I got sort of a commission paint job to do.

47698323802_33952a64ae_o.jpg

It's a 3D printed character from the PC game Undertale, printed on our 3D printer at work for a colleague of mine .

Should be interesting!

• Like 6

Thanks!

It feels good to finally get moving again on the big Vixen.

Skullman is called Sans , and should be painted like this.

mp,550x550,matte,ffffff,t.3u2.jpg

I might need some bone-white paint though, which could also work a bit for the Vixen...

• Like 1

• 8 months later...

It's kinda stuck in the sand/fill/scribe-phase and has been so for the last 14 months. It doesn't help that the next phase, with the painting of the white underside is very scary.

But I think that with a bottle of Gunze C311 it can be bested, and then building a white finish om top of that.

• Like 1