Airfix Sea Vixen, with some aftermarket help

Christer A

That is bad news, is there a possibility that yours will turn up or have you accidentally put them out with the rubbish?

They are fairly big items.

Shame in this circumstance that Airfix didn't do what Frog did and provide two complete sets of outer wings.

23 hours ago, 71chally said:

That is bad news, is there a possibility that yours will turn up or have you accidentally put them out with the rubbish?

We had guests visiting 4 weeks ago, and in a rush to tidy up everything, I also cleaned out the spray booth. I think it might have been possible that they went out with the trash then, since I haven't found them anywhere else, or atleast not in those spaces where modelling stuff are located. I guess a complete Christmas cleaning could unearth them...

On 2017-12-16 at 01:29, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Could someone cast a set out of another pair in resin ? 

Ooops should read better

That would be an excellent approach!

I'm unable to do it myself, since I have no access to resin casting stuff or the needed parts, but Britmodeller is a big community right?

Someone might be able to pull it of...or perhaps 3D printing?

• Like 1

Merry Christmas everyone!

Two local clubmembers will try in the comoing month to produce a set of resin wings for me. One har the unbuilt kit, the other one knows how to mold resin...

I'll keep my fingers crossed!

Naturally the build has hit a bit of a rough patch due to the missing parts, but I have atleast done something!

39250471952_6e25825afb_o.jpg
Airfix claims that 35g of noseweight is sufficient, so naturally I went for 40.

Also, the first parts in EDSG has been painted! Since it's the air intakes, how long this paint will actually live on the model is a different question.
39250471312_d1e198c667_o.jpg
However, the fit of the intakes is not the greatest.
39250471582_b8f343f1a1_o.jpg
39250470972_0de438968d_o.jpg
But sureley filler and sanding builds character?

• Like 10

Great news with the wings, I'm happy to donate a pair as patterns.

I must admit my intakes fitted like a glove, but I did add some divider plates etc so there was probably an element of trial fitting and fettling. 

I will do anything, ANYTHING, to avoid filling!

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

A small almost non-modelling update.

Yesterday we made the start for the resin wings. Unfortunately my mate is only capabale of making one side of the wing, but that's still better than nothing!

I'll keep my fingers crossed for a succesful pour!

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

So far no resin copies have been made unfortunately :(

The skilled clubmate was afraid that his casting method would melt the originals, which would be less than ideal. Will try with som other guys during the coming weeks.

Another approach is to investigate what I can get access till att work. One could think that a major Truck manufacturer has 3D scanners somewhere (3D printers are quite common)

Suitable bribes with "fika" could probably work wonders!

• Like 2

It might be worth writing to Airfix to see if they might have spares that they could send out, long shot as they are major items, but you never know.

I asked Italeri for spare parts for two of their long out of production H-19 kits, and they sent them at a small cost.

Edited by 71chally

I cannot see what casting/moulding method will melt wings Christer, latex is cold curing

OK James, you know where I am if you've a couple of those parts he needs

Let's get this beauty sorted, I'll send the wingy bits back with your Paloustes

(PS not 102 of them...)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, perdu said:

I cannot see what casting/moulding method will melt wings Christer, latex is cold curing

OK James, you know where I am if you've a couple of those parts he needs

Let's get this beauty sorted, I'll send the wingy bits back with your Paloustes

(PS not 102 of them...)

Bill, I have an (as yet) unbuilt Airfix Vixen.  If Christer lets is know exactly which parts he needs, I could send them to you -> you do your casting magic & once satisfied send the originals back to me.  Happy to do that if required; let me know.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Guys, you're the best!

It's the outer under wing parts left and right, and they should be named 1A and 4A. The top wing parts are still in my cupboard, looking longily at the mighty Sea Vixen right next to it.

Last year, they looked like this

37336996614_df2b5ba4d4_o.jpg

Edited by Christer A
  • Like 1

That would be fine with me Crisp

Christer will the cut outs matter at the wing fold area, it might be difficult to maintain their cut always?

But I can do those basic shapes

Ah I just realised that picture is the top bit, am I right

No worries I'm sure we can sort it

Edited by perdu
  • Thanks 1

I do not plan to have the wings folded, so that little cutout should not have any importance.

The outer edges and shape is the most important thing, dog tooth cutout (wing fence I meant), aileron attachment secondary, and the grooves for the fuel tank pylon tertiary. :smile:

Edited by Christer A
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just stumbled across this, yet another thread I've not seen.

What an excellent thread this is on so many counts. The absolutely superb modelling of the interior components, and a beautifully evolving Sea Vixen, but also the amount of co-operation and support from you other guys in getting Christer the parts he needs. Well done Christer (so far) and likewise to those helping overcome the loss of major components.

The quality of some of the 1/48 builds I am seeing on here generally (you know who you are guys) is having a serious effect on my faith in the One True Scale! I could end up, upscaling ........ :worry:

Terry

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Terry1954 said:

Just stumbled across this, yet another thread I've not seen.

What an excellent thread this is on so many counts. The absolutely superb modelling of the interior components, and a beautifully evolving Sea Vixen, but also the amount of co-operation and support from you other guys in getting Christer the parts he needs. Well done Christer (so far) and likewise to those helping overcome the loss of major components.

The quality of some of the 1/48 builds I am seeing on here generally (you know who you are guys) is having a serious effect on my faith in the One True Scale! I could end up, upscaling ........ :worry:

Terry

Never happen

A fact is a fact...

• Haha 4