Right said FRED! 1/144 Lockheed C-5B Galaxy

Habu12

I spent half my childhood in the shadow of arrivals and departures from Norton AFB. The sight and sounds of C-141s and the occasional C-5 was ever present. Up until 1994. So this is the Roden kit, built OOB, but in the Euro I scheme that I would see at airshows and around my house in Redlands. So I ponied up the $131 for this kit because of nostalgia. However, that's not a good value for this kit. It was plagued with flash on most parts. All the major parts, wings, fuselage, tail, engine nacelles all had flash  on them. All 28, yea, 28 wheels were TWO PIECES! What deranged designer decided this?  The decals were mediocre and only had one version. For a 21st century kit of this price point, I really expected more. Three star kit ⭐️⭐️⭐️

However, the old C-5s I knew as a kid live in this representation, and I'm happy. 

vas15Li.jpgiaOslby.jpgl6r03Jd.jpgu66qmNw.jpg6rusJ4z.jpg3KQXBhx.jpg

Edited by Habu12
  • Like 36

Impressive!

Edit: I think that kit designer team preferred two halves wheel to avoid ejector pin marks on tire sidewalls or wheel hub details happen to some kits. For example, Otaki C-5 wheels which are tedious to fill and sand more than two dozen times while trying to keep wheel hubs intact.  

Edited by Teeradej
  • Thanks 1

17 hours ago, Teeradej said:

Impressive!

Edit: I think that kit designer team preferred two halves wheel to avoid ejector pin marks on tire sidewalls or wheel hub details happen to some kits. For example, Otaki C-5 wheels which are tedious to fill and sand more than two dozen times while trying to keep wheel hubs intact.  

That makes sense...however it's 2017. I would expect more clever ways of going about that problem. Plus there's plenty of other 1/144 and 1/72 kits (where wheels are small) that don't have that issue. 

1 hour ago, Habu12 said:

That makes sense...however it's 2017. I would expect more clever ways of going about that problem. Plus there's plenty of other 1/144 and 1/72 kits (where wheels are small) that don't have that issue. 

It's true that there are many ways to give modelers ease of building. But it's also true that there are newly tooled kits from various manufacturers with even worse design no matter what year it is. This is just the way Roden chose to go under their capabilities and limitations we may never know.

Anyway congrats to your lovely gigantic build!

• Thanks 1

Wonderful Galaxy there, I agree in the best looking scheme. The flap details are amazing. The underside shot almost seems as if the C-5 flies over you on finals. Though there's no size reference in the photos it's obvious it's big. Shame about the disappointing quality of the kit, but you made something great from it.

Jay

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Habu12 said:

It's not as big as you'd think. I mean for a 1/144 kit it is, but it's actually smaller than a 1/72 B-1 or B-52. The flaps are a pretty simple affair, and weren't aligned well.

It is about the same size as a 1/72 C-130, I have a picture of my Revell C-5 next to my Esci C-130 somewhere....

2 hours ago, Habu12 said:

It's not as big as you'd think. I mean for a 1/144 kit it is, but it's actually smaller than a 1/72 B-1 or B-52. The flaps are a pretty simple affair, and weren't aligned well.

Still the flaps looked pretty good from where I was sitting :lol:

• Thanks 1