Sanger Blackburn Iris

hi All, finally got round to starting my Iris, as you already know Jockney is doing a very similar Contrail Perth.

All parts now snapped from the plastic and the two halves of the fuselage sanded! Doesn't sound much but it's a start!

Someone asked about Contrail v Sanger versions of these kits, the answer is Contrail as the Sanger ones don't come with any strut material, you have to make your own. If only

Aeroclub still had some....

35209851333_1b2c44c9d7.jpg

36330349424_993f901e45.jpg

36352749813_8dc1a1ebfa.jpg

• Like 14

Brilliant, you are now miles ahead of me as I allowed myself to get distracted with the "easy" Be-4 build.

I am only at the feltpen stage, yet to cut and a long way from sanding !

Really glad to hear you have managed to get the strut materials

cheers Pat

• Like 2

Holly Lord !! :worthy:

A 5th Blackburn at the same time in BM !! :worthy:

Now let's say that we can rename the whole thing ! BM stand for Blackburn modeller !!

Good choice, will be curious to see her unfolding !

Our dear tentacled one will not believe it ! 5 Blackburn !! what an achievment !

Good luck on this one Bristol Boy !

Sincerely !

Corsaircorp

• Like 1

Hi Bristol Boy,

welcome to the GB! Yours the 40th entry and you're another brave BMer, tackling a vacform flying boat :) I wish you the best of luck!

Cheers

Jaime

• Like 2

17 hours ago, JOCKNEY said:

Brilliant, you are now miles ahead of me as I allowed myself to get distracted with the "easy" Be-4 build.

I am only at the feltpen stage, yet to cut and a long way from sanding !

Really glad to hear you have managed to get the strut materials

cheers Pat

Come on pull your socks up, I need someone to constantly tell me how difficult the kit is!

No strut material, will ave to make them.

16 hours ago, corsaircorp said:

Holly Lord !! :worthy:

A 5th Blackburn at the same time in BM !! :worthy:

Now let's say that we can rename the whole thing ! BM stand for Blackburn modeller !!

Good choice, will be curious to see her unfolding !

Our dear tentacled one will not believe it ! 5 Blackburn !! what an achievment !

Good luck on this one Bristol Boy !

Sincerely !

Corsaircorp

if you look in the background on the last photo you can see another Blackburn!

13 hours ago, pheonix said:

Good news to read that you have started. That is enormous for a vacuform. I never had the nerve/guts to tackle one, even when I owned some kits. I think that scratch building is easier.

P

Go on give it a go, much easier than scratch building.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Hello BB !

You're a right guy !

After rendering its place to Blackburn ! let's have the same thing for Saunders Roe !:rambo:

Can't wait to see her unfolding !

Good job.

I've 2 X 1/48 Roc's on the bench .

Let's look for a Firebrand now !

Sincerely.

CC

1 hour ago, corsaircorp said:

Hello BB !

You're a right guy !

After rendering its place to Blackburn ! let's have the same thing for Saunders Roe !:rambo:

Can't wait to see her unfolding !

Good job.

I've 2 X 1/48 Roc's on the bench .

Let's look for a Firebrand now !

Sincerely.

CC

In the background is my Botha build, need to update my WIP for that one!

• Like 1

A bit of progress, apertures in fuselage cut out although I think the portholes need opening up a little more.37047740636_208060dd21.jpg

Sanger provide a series of profiles for bulkheads, see bottom left.

35887065811_bb27367e0e.jpg

Transfer to card and cut out.

36400817174_29c386bd49.jpg

Then trim them down to the correct size which is about 1-2mm less all round.

Over the weekend I want to start the interior, there is one photo of the cockpit.

36127900725_0086f30b58.jpg

Was the front turret accessed by crawling under the instrument panel? Looks as though the floor continues?

• Like 8

Evening BB

I will raise a white flag now, as you will finish first, however...

Did you get an instrument panel scaled picture to use with your kit ? My Perth came with one, although I'm not sure its looks the same as your picture, but you are welcome to a copy. Plus I know someone who can help with your struts, unless you have an overwhelming desire to make your own :mental:

cheers Pat

10 hours ago, JOCKNEY said:

Evening BB

I will raise a white flag now, as you will finish first, however...

Did you get an instrument panel scaled picture to use with your kit ? My Perth came with one, although I'm not sure its looks the same as your picture, but you are welcome to a copy. Plus I know someone who can help with your struts, unless you have an overwhelming desire to make your own :mental:

cheers Pat

Hi Pat,

Remember its Taking part that's important not winning... sorry thought I was talking to the  kids then for a minute! I'm trying to get a reasonable start now so when there's pressure to finish the kitchen, complete the loft insulation, paint the windows before winter etc I still stand a chhance of finishing before January.

yes I do have a drawing of a sort of instrument panel that looks nothing like the photo. Looking at it carefully you can see the panel on the left doesn't go the full width, maybe this is the crawl space into the turret? Also the left seat is folded down, maybe there's a door/ hatch behind that leads to the rest of the fuselage?

i would love some strut material, I have no desire to make my own!

Cheers, Neil

• Like 2

Morning Neil

I've dropped you a PM, for someone on here who can supply you with strut material.

I enjoyed your To Do list that is running during this GB, Mrs Jockney has reminded me of mine only this morning.  :rant: :chair:

cheers Pat

Hi Jockney, 

I have in mind to get back to vacforms and would be pleased to have the information regarding the source of your strut material. Could you PM that to me as well ?

thanks !

Paolo

• 2 weeks later...

Getting the cockpit together based on the one photo, the 'wheels' and seats are supplied with the kit, everything else needs to be done from scratch. The components are not fixed yet so better alignment will be achieved as they are glued in place. Progress so far...

36640270744_20d67f25c9.jpg

The metal shelf is to house what I assume in the real thing is a compass?

36127900725_0086f30b58.jpg

The black rings around the fictitious instruments were achieved by poking a tapered tipped black permanent marker into the hole, seems to work!

Need to sort out the pedals and have made a start 'pimping' the seats provided by cutting the block off the bottom and adding arms, will sort some legs too.

37093100470_c688f453cf.jpg

more soon....

• Like 8

Completed cockpit for now and have sealed up the fuselage

37447839296_3529c5541e.jpg

Bit of a gap at the rear of the cockpit.

36785793334_1e90472097.jpg

Quite a bit of filling to do and I'm not happy with the hole behind the cockpit, I cut it out using the guidelines but it's far too big so will have to be backfilled.

Onto the lower wing preparation now, no sanding just scraping and the excess is gone in 10mins.

37495830121_d523b72d05.jpg

36826462413_0056ddf990.jpg

Will need a bit of refinement but not far off. the next step is to sort out the dihedral by using suitably shaped internal ribs, should be able to crease the wings by scoring part way through?

As has been mentioned before this is quite a big plane.

37448005106_056523964e.jpg

More soon..still no strut material, looks like I will have to make them from scratch...

• Like 11

12 hours ago, pheonix said:

That is a beautifully detailed interior.

Boy this one is a whopper for a biplane!

P

Thanks Phoenix, did my best based on the one photo available.

11 hours ago, limeypilot said:

Lovely job on the interior. How are you going to fix the wings? Are they going to be pinned?

Ian

Thanks, your bi-plane modelling is always high quality, so praise indeed!

Haven't thought much about wing fixing, luckily the lower one sits in top rather than fixed to a wing root. I'll probably construct the whole wing section separately then attach it to the fuselage, likewise with the tail.