Airfix B-17G - future versions ?

Jack Ruskin

The kit has additional parts for future versions, but anybody know which version has a huge radar dome instead of the ball turret ? Parts 23 and 24

Also the Fortress III version is just out, which should just be a decal exercise, yet this version has a blank plate for the ball turret hole, yet that isn't on the B-17G sprues that i can tell

Anybody shed any light on either please ?

A number, if not all, of 100 Group B-17s had the ventral turret removed and the well plated over.  If you can find a copy of Martin Streetley's "The Aircraft of 100 Group"  or the series of articles that appeared in Scale Models magazine in the late 'seventies or early 'eighties you'll see this described and illustrated.

With regard to further re-boxing of the new Airfix B-17 I wouldn't be surprised to see one with the earlier tail turret (although that would also require new fuselage halves to allow for unstaggered waist windows), a Coastal Command version with ASV radomes in place of the ball turret and/or an SB-1W with airborne lifeboat .  New fuselage halves and transparencies could also be introduced to allow production of either an 'E or 'F, but that could require further new parts.

Others may be able to be more specific, but I think the USAAF sometimes replaced the ball turret with BTO (bombing thru' overcast) radar.  The name 'Mickey' comes to mind.  Perhaps a reissue with that, with airborne lifeboat (B-17H) though later re-designated SB-17G, and maybe any other suitable variations too.

• Like 1

On 11/09/2017 at 11:41 AM, Jack Ruskin said:

The kit has additional parts for future versions, but anybody know which version has a huge radar dome instead of the ball turret ? Parts 23 and 24

Also the Fortress III version is just out, which should just be a decal exercise, yet this version has a blank plate for the ball turret hole, yet that isn't on the B-17G sprues that i can tell

Anybody shed any light on either please ?

The Fortress III kit has a new sprue, L, which has the blanking plate, smooth wheels and the various aerials and other fittings. You also use the other cockpit transparency which has the wind shield glazing split into two parts.

I'll admit I'm intrigued about the inclusion of the belly radome too. There are three parts altogether, two for an extended 'dome and one for a retracted version.

Mike.