1/72 - Martin Baker MB-6 "Sky Ferret F. & NF Mk. I" by AZmodel - released

Homebee

After the MB-5 (link) AZmodel is to release at Telford 2017 a new tool 1/72nd Martin-Baker MB-6  kit - ref.

Sources: 

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/235010228-kpaz-central-discussion-questions-answers/&do=findComment&comment=2816940

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/235010228-kpaz-central-discussion-questions-answers/&do=findComment&comment=2817373

Gentlemen, our the second Telford Special is twoseater, piston engined with contraprop. 3, 2 1 .... Quiz started

Thanks to all participants... :-)

So gentlemen, it was quick now. Spaddad is the winner. The second plane is MB-6 project. Please contact me with your postal contact spaddad... Congrats.

V.P.

MattMemory2.jpg

Edited by Homebee
  • Like 1

Source: http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/235010228-kpaz-central-discussion-questions-answers/&page=31&tab=comments#comment-2819976

On 13/09/2017 at 09:40, Jan Polc said:

Gentlemen, let me explain, what aircraft is our MB-6... We were inspired on one what if forum, where it is described together with some "operational history" and profiles....

See the photos of prototype.....

Gene K - do you think that change of the kit from some 60 parts to 120 parts and new fuselage mean minor tweaks? Talking about our MiG-21 line.....

DSC09696.jpgDSC09717.jpg

V.P.

Edited by Homebee

• 3 weeks later...

Schemes

Source: http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/235010228-kpaz-central-discussion-questions-answers/&do=findComment&comment=2837791

We have continued in "production" of Martin Baker MB-5 and we prepared twin-seater MB-6. This project is pure what-if, aircraft never flew. But it was in the plans. We have prepared two boxes - Sky Ferret F. Mk. I day fighter and Night Ferret NF. Mk. I., both with three attractive camouflage schemes. Our thanks goes to Jacek "Jeremak" at Deviant Art for some inspiration.

night-ferret-1.jpg

sky-ferret-1.jpg

V.P.

Edited by Homebee

Don't you think that the SEAC anti-shipping variant should wear TSS of ED Sea Grey over D Slate Grey (i.e. with "grey" darker than "green") camouflage with Sky Type S undersurfaces and NO roundels under the wings ?

I (am trying to) understand whole "what if" idea, but here the inaccuracy looks to be far too serious :)

Cheers

Michael 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, 71chally said:

This wasn't the MB.6 design, which was a jet.

At most this was a paper development of the MB.5.

Martin produced a number of paper designs, which did not receive designations.  The tankbuster being perhaps the best known, but the Payen-style jet was one of these.  It was referred to in the contemporary press as the MB.6, but I don't believe that this was ever confirmed.

• Like 1

Both the well researched book on James Martin, and Masons' British Fighter refer to the MB.6 as a jet.

The former refers to it as simple straight wing, single seat fighter, complete with a contemporary drawing, most other sources seem to agree with that. 

The British Fighter refers to it a delta with the cockpit mounted in the leading edge, this was either a further design study or a mix up from another makers design (Gloster) springing to mind.

I've never seen a respected source quote the MB.6 as a twin seat piston engine design.

I worry with things like this, that they will become part of a ‘herd mind’, free/semi-colloquial resource history of WWII.

That e.g. in 70 years (if humans are still around on the planet in significant numbers and interested in such things), fully released ‘what ifs’ like this, will become part of perceived ‘best available history’?

Seen as valid primary sources?

”Look at the back of the box; it’s incredibly well researched!”, they will say. “It’s true!”.

I think my view can’t be elucidated/validated enough, in the current western world socio-economic paradigm.

Profit is now not so much an economic factor; it’s more the key ‘western’ societal philosophy. 

Therefore there’s nothing wrong with adding a few parts to an existing mould, to rebox it as something fictitious, then sell it to maximise profits on the original tooling, and other design work.

I get that.

“What I Think I Know Pedia” sometimes a better descriptor of ‘Wiki’; My worries are linked to that too.

Each tiny nibble away at what we know to be (not in philosophical terms) true, can and does add up to  changes in the historical narrative.

I’m worrying unnecessarily, I know.

Maybe the vast majority of people neither care about or notice that such things are happening. They really do have a lot more to worry about, possibly me included :confused: .

If a time machine is invented that just allows me to stay alive until the year 2156, the history books will probably say;

The Battle Of Brighton’s mainstay for the Allies was the Farley Fruitbat. The allies only had 12, none were destroyed. They were highly polished. Every Tuesday at 6pm.

The Hawker Tiddly made up the main force of 432 beer powered, dual swing delta wing sesquiplanes, with the flexible dual cantilever spars made of specially hardened Blue Stilton.

The Axis Force, comprising 1.9 million green aircraft, flown by elite pilots all under the age of 13, flew Messershputnik P1106 triplanes, made under licence in Spain.

The same day, 6 million Dutchmen were evacuated from the shifting sands of Katwijk, by a man in a big white ship, called ‘Don Kirk’:drunk:.

I’m confused by this release of the ‘what if’ MB Ferret. I only know of Ferrets with regard to a strange sport, that involves putting them down one’s trousers. MB games aren’t involved with the sport at all :fraidnot:.

:bye: 

TT

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Agreed Tony ^^

IMO to dissolve the dilemma it should be added somewhere on the box that it is a WhatIf kit/design that never existed and therefore the (- forgive me - IMHO quite silly) nickname and even more the schemes are merely fictional.

• Like 2

- ref. AZ7580 - Martin-Baker MB.6 "Sky Ferret" Mk.I

Source: http://www.azmodel.cz/produkt/martin-baker-mb-6-sky-ferret/

AZ7580_box.jpg

AZ7580_camo.jpg

- ref. AZ7581 - Martin-Baker MB.6 "Night Ferret"

Source: http://www.azmodel.cz/produkt/martin-baker-mb-6-night-ferret/

AZ7581_box.jpg

AZ7581_camo.jpg

V.P.

Edited by Homebee

It's disappointing to see they haven't included the "What If?" legend on the box as they did with the Spiteful. I've been a What If modeller for more than a decade, but a follower of history for much longer, and I agree it's getting to the point where model companies should clearly label what is fact and what is a paper project.

Also I'd love to know who comes up with their names for What If subjects. If anyone finds any documents from MB with the names Sea Baker or Sky Ferret I'd love to see them and be proven wrong!

• Like 1