Vosper 72' 6" MTB Working on the Wardroom & Radio shack

longshanks

Made a start...

The Vosper has 5 watertight bulkheads and the first job on the interior is make/position these.

P1080479 (Copy)

You can just make out the red lines indicating bulkheads

A  note for those interested in scribing in panels

1 Don't try and do it in one, mark and shape 1st piece . Mark and shape 2nd piece. Glue to 1st piece and so on. Hope this makes sense, if not PM me.

P1080483 (Copy)

P1080488 (Copy)

P1080491 (Copy)

I tend to work in cardboard and then transfer to plastic

Five templates/bulkheads

P1080492 (Copy)

and in the boat

P1080494 (Copy)

Compartments from forward Fore peak, Forward Mess deck, Accommodation (mess room, galley etc) Mid fuel cells, Engine room, Aft fuel cells.

P1080495 (Copy)

First step on a long journey.

Question for the jury. What are / where can I get the brass pedestals you often see boats displayed on?

Thanks for looking in

Kev

• Like 10

On ‎9‎/‎15‎/‎2017 at 11:01 PM, longshanks said:

Hope you enjoyed your Jollies!

It will probably be a Med boat ...

Hi Kev

Yes we have a delightful time sampling the culinary delights of North East Cornwall!  It was my intensive modelling time (getting away from the work that has to pay the mortgage!).

I note that amongst your references you haven't listed Reyonlds history of Short Boats in the Med:   https://www.amazon.co.uk/Mediterranean-MTBs-War-Flotilla-Operations/dp/0750922745/ref=sr_1_2?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1505683284&sr=1-2&keywords=Leonard+C+Reynolds+mtb

Al

3 hours ago, Modelholic said:

Try these

Thanks, some interesting bits there but I'll hang out for some brass ones if I can

3 hours ago, Valenstitch said:

"sneaky idea bank"!

Like it & I'm glad I can help

@Al Gunthwaite Thanks for the tip, this has escaped until now. Ordered :)

You got me thinking with those figures, I'm now thinking no figures above deck but Mini Art crew below decks :hmmm:

Kev

Slow steps forward as I try to figure out what I'm doing....

Fixed the watertight bulkheads either side of the midships full tanks

I've had to temporarily had to fix an I beam to spread the hull which was pulling in

P1080502 (Copy)

Sorting the floor iwo of the midships accommodation

P1080500 (Copy)

The wheelhouse 'cockpit' had to go...

No way to access the lower level, plus the sides are angled in to ease extraction from mould. The hatched area should not be there....

P1080503 (Copy)

Sides fitted, remember the way I scribed the hull bulkheads. Similar concept here for the floor

P1080506 (Copy)

Giving

P1080499 (Copy)

You can see the access now to deck below

P1080504 (Copy)

Side of the wheelhouse in place

Trying to decide where / how to cut away side / deck to show radio room behind the dark hole above and the wardroom between the wheelhouse and the side......

P1080505 (Copy)

Thanks for looking in

Kev

• Like 11

Will this be a cut-away as the book plate or will you be doing individual sections of the boat to show just specific areas  :book:

Looks like you have been a busy builder so far

beefy

Hi Keith,

Thanks for the interest...

The general idea is to have the boat mounted on brass pedestals (if I can find any)

Viewed from starboard it will be museum quality (LOL)

Viewed from the port side will be cut aways allowing various areas within to be seen.

General internal layout

P1080512 (Copy)

Hatched areas to be removed

P1080507 (Copy)

So I'm thinking the forward area will open into the forward mess deck/ WC. The midships area into the wardroom/WC and poss radio room beyond and / or the deck area to view same. The cutaway on the wheelhouse comes from @Gremlin56 who when he did his remarked that the level of detail in the wheelhouse was ridiculous as it couldn't be seen. Now hopefully it will be.

P1080510 (Copy)

P1080511 (Copy)

I hope this goes some way to explain my train of thought, at least as it stands today

Don't mention madness or our tentacle friend will home in like a ballistic missile

Cheers Kev

Edited by longshanks
  • Like 6
  • Haha 2

On 9/17/2017 at 2:11 PM, longshanks said:

What are / where can I get the brass pedestals you often see boats displayed on? 

Great subject matter.  Just my opinion, but I think the brass pedestals would be too formal for this subject.  I would use wood cribbing such as would be found when the hull was in drydock for repair.

6 hours ago, paul178 said:

"Has the Dog Boat sunk without trace?"

Ah ! The elephant in the room .....

Sorry Paul, I've been longing to do this boat since 2013. I put it off because I felt I needed more experience.

Being slightly more experienced I cant wait any longer :penguin:

Don't worry this wont get done in a ' oner ' and MGB658 sits in my line of sight at the bench

6 hours ago, ejboyd5 said:

I think the brass pedestals would be too formal for this subject.

:hmmm:

You know what you're right, much better idea. Thank you

Wish more people on here would stick their heads above the parapet

Kev

Great work so far and I too like the process for makeing the bulkhead templates.  

Is it worth considering installing a couple of LEDs in the cutaway spaced to make the work more visible?  It would also draw the eye into the spaces and show off your work.  I recently picked up a string of mini LEDs (3v) from Dealz for €1.50 which I will be experimenting with to simulate rocket motors..

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Grey Beema said:

which I will be experimenting with to simulate rocket motors..

Good idea!

You're quite right, it brings out the best of an interior space. I did this on my MAS boat build but of course Photocrap turned the lights out on that..... which I hoe to remedy soon.

Kev

Edited by longshanks

On 9/21/2017 at 7:34 PM, longshanks said:

You can see the access now to deck below

P1080504 (Copy)

Side of the wheelhouse in place

Trying to decide where / how to cut away side / deck to show radio room behind the dark hole above and the wardroom between the wheelhouse and the side......

Thanks for looking in

Kev

I seem to remember p*****g somebody off in an Olympic fashion during my build on this hidden companionway. Nice to see what he got his panties all bunched up about Kev,

Lovely work (you would appear to be more than ready for this challenge) ;)

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Modelholic said:

Are you going to cut through any interior bulkheads (or use clear styrene)

Current thinking is cut away bulkheads but I must admit I'd not thought of using styrene :hmmm:

Tis a bit suck it and see at the moment....

5 hours ago, Modelholic said:

What's under the wheelhouse?

Magazine ! Fun to be stood on top of that but then when you're carrying 5000 gallons of 100 octane petrol :penguin:

and no I don't intend to model that. I have no pics. NEED INTERNAL VOSPER PICS pls.

5 hours ago, Bandsaw Steve said:

This is going to be one wicked model!

:devil: Oh Yes !!

I meant to post this link before to show the level of detail in the Griifen set

http://www.griffonmodel.com/product_view.asp?id=259&classid=84

Insane

Kev

• Like 2

Very nice start Kev will be in for a very exciting ride, if you have a drawing of the pedestals you want maybe I can machine them for you :hmmm:I built 2 for my Bluenose (which I still have to finish) they are 50mm in height.

Z2HSRr.jpg

130ZRa.jpg

Regards

Richard

• Like 2