Airfix Me262 - a look in the box

John

Just arrived from those nice people at Wonderland Models for the very reasonable price of £12.99 (yes - mail on a Sunday!):

2621_zpszxakvttd.jpg

Typical current Airfix instructions - note the neat treatment of the cockpit tub:

26211_zpsi7jsixgv.jpg

Colour scheme diagrams referencing the recent Humbrol Luftwaffe colours:

2623_zpstjtokwbd.jpg

2622_zpsnplci9c3.jpg

Decals, small but perfectly formed:

2624_zps7unhmqah.jpg

Three sprues of the now standard light grey plastic:

2625_zpsz6pq36sl.jpg

Separate mainwheel hubs and tyres -nice:

2626_zpsxxwxupvb.jpg

Neat cockpit interior detail:

2628_zpsbeluou6i.jpg

Nosewheel well:

2627_zpskhiyb4ec.jpg

Intriguing flashed over holes on the lower wing:

26210_zpstuz2xaoc.jpg

Clear bits - note the windscreen includes part of the fuselage decking:

2629_zpscmbjbylf.jpg

Looks superb.

John

• Like 28
  • Thanks 4

Thanks, John,

Nice review.  I have also just received mine and noticed those holes.  I too thought of location holes for the RM4 racks.  There are also Wikingerschiffe under fuselage bomb racks included - although no bombs, rocket tubes or fuel tanks are included.

I like the treatment of the engine intakes and thought the panel lines were finer than previous releases.  Any thoughts?

Regards

Martin

I notice that the main fuselage and cockpit tub are on a sprue frame of their own

That would leave it that Airfix could do the 2-seater by just doing one new frame, [well, ok maybe two, one for the radar gubbins] all the other parts being common to both types

Are parts 35 & 36 the mountings for the nose mounted bombs of a different version?

I see too that Airfix leaves the interior metal colour choice to the modeller; bare aluminium [56] RLM02 [240] RLM66 [32]

• Like 1

The fuel tanks relevant to the nigh fighter are already on the sprues:

26213_zpse4cwbhze.jpg

35 and 36 are indeed the nose-mounted racks. There's a flashed-over locating hole in the lower nose panel either side of the nosewheel well:

26212_zpsalfkqxhd.jpg

In common with much of Airfix's planning these days other versions are being considered right from the start. I think we're looking at the 2-seater (night fighter and trainer) and the bomber in the future at the very least.

John 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, John said:

The fuel tanks relevant to the nigh fighter are already on the sprues:

26213_zpse4cwbhze.jpg

35 and 36 are indeed the nose-mounted racks. There's a flashed-over locating hole in the lower nose panel either side of the nosewheel well:

26212_zpsalfkqxhd.jpg

In common with much of Airfix's planning these days other versions are being considered right from the start. I think we're looking at the 2-seater (night fighter and trainer) and the bomber in the future at the very least.

John 

Yep, my mistake; the fuel tanks are indeed there!

Thank you for the in box pictures, very much appreciated.

Interesting to note that the main camo scheme shades listed on the instructions no longer appear to be available on the Humbrol website (discontinued?)

Why do Airfix quote humbrol numbers on the kit instructions when their sister company no longer stock the relevant shades?  

1 hour ago, murfv said:

Thank you for the in box pictures, very much appreciated.

Interesting to note that the main camo scheme shades listed on the instructions no longer appear to be available on the Humbrol website (discontinued?)

Why do Airfix quote humbrol numbers on the kit instructions when their sister company no longer stock the relevant shades?  

1) humbrol do still do the RLM shades

2) builders proably all ready have the RLM shades on the paint rack

3) common practice using discoutined paints as reference, just last year saw a new kit with a reference for a colour that was dropped 15 years ago

Evening all. I got mine today and I can't wait to get started on it. I had thought of doing a WIP but you have beat me to it John. I'll follow yours with interest. I won't get mine started till Wednesday at the earliest as I'm on night shift just now. 

Cheers Allan

• Like 1

Got mine from a well known shop in West Yorkshire on Sunday. Now call me suspicious but I would love Airfix to state the source for the blue and white check marking as I am sure at best that this was interpreted from a black and white photo.

Just about everyone else has taken it for green.

2 minutes ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Does anyone here think they will do a Recon nosed version ? The ME 262/A1/U3 i believe thats the correct alphanumeric sequence for that variant ? 

Wait and see sunshine

• Like 1

I can't say how far back they made the decision to not represent the swastika, but I can't recall an Airfix Luftwaffe kit that had the swastikas in the box art or the decals.

I understand the reasoning behind that and there's plenty of aftermarket decals available for those who want them.

It doesn't bother me either way, but there's many that have strong feelings about it.

Edited by Marvel Onkey
Correcting poor syntax

1 hour ago, Mick4350 said:

Looking at the pilot it looks as if they are putting the same pilot in the German planes as in the British or American aeroplanes in the same timeframe

From the OP's photos of the sprues it's a bit hard to see the detail on the pilot- I've not long finished an Airfix Spitfire Mk 1 and a Bf-109 E4 and those pilots had different uniforms that looked authentic to their respective airforce uniforms for the BoB era to me.