1/72 Hurricane Mk.1 - First Ever Build by Leo, aged 5

Well done Leo on a lovely Hurricane build - I might get you to paint my yellow prop tips in the future! 

Also well done Dad for posting and encouraging his son to take up this great hobby that we all enjoy.  

Congratulations all round and I expect to see another completed kit next week!!

Cheers.. Dave  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Difficult to add any more to what everyone else said!

Excellent build and twenty (or more) times better than what I was doing at that age!

Looks like the future of our beloved hobby is in good hands.

:goodjob:

• Thanks 1

Everybody, if you haven't checked out the WIP thread for this build; I highly encourage you to do so. Oh, and, Leo, I see that you attempted the powder staining by the ejector chutes. Not bad, it will get better as you learn. Great job, young man!

• Thanks 1

Superb stuff Leo, takes me back to when my dad made me a BoB Hurricane but used to trim the props off so it looked better for playing with to shoot down an airfix ju88. Excellent result matey, you will be producing masterpieces soon...

Mick

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks very much, everyone! It was a lot of fun to build together. Leo is now patiently (ish) waiting for his arrow red paint to arrive for his Hawk. In terms of the bits I did, during the build I ran a dry paintbrush over where Leo needed to apply glue so he could copy me but other than that, he clipped the parts off the sprues and filed them all down - except the really thin parts which I did. I painted some guide lines on for the camouflage, but he then painted the two coats on top of these leaving me to just do some neatening for him at the end. The only bits I painted alone were the canopy and the tail wheel. The smoke stains on the lower wings were done by blobbing a bit of dark ink and then scrapping a line straight backwards with a cotton bud, which again Leo did by himself after a quick demo. The decals were largely a two person job with us taking it in turns to either hold the decal paper or position the decal, but Leo did all of the micro-sol coats on top of the decals whilst I did the varnishing. So, after all that, I hope I got the balance right for helping him along without crowbarring my way in to hijack his project! He certainly seems very happy and is regularly ambushing visitors to the house to insist they come and inspect the Hurricane, so as long as he's happy then it's a job well done!

• Like 4

21 minutes ago, wafu_vasco said:

He certainly seems very happy and is regularly ambushing visitors to the house to insist they come and inspect the Hurricane, so as long as he's happy then it's a job well done!

The main point of the whole experience - to have fun.

And Leo certainly has something to show off for his efforts

What you did was no less-no more than our dads/uncles/grandas did for us when we all started [well, most of us anyhoo]

As Leo does each kit you'll do less and less until you'll have to find a new tool kit and work bench for yourself !

• Thanks 1

This young man has talent! :yes:

Seriously, that is a beautiful piece of work, and from a five-year-old?! I can hardly wait to see what he'll do at, say, 10. Always assuming he stays with the hobby, and I certainly hope he does.

Very well done, Leo. What are you going to do next? Many an admiring "uncle" here on this forum will be really interested to see. Do let us know.

• Thanks 1

Well done Leo!

Hanging from the ceiling just like mine used to when I was a young lad

You did a great job with the build and the paint and the decals.

You should be well chuffed!

What's next?....a Spitfire maybe?

Cheers

Bruce

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Leo,

Greetings from Estonia !. WELL DONE to you for producing such a splendid model. You are a modelling champion in the making with that first effort !. I think I was around 5 years old when I put my first model together but it wasn't half as good as your Hurricane. I really liked the photo of it hanging from the ceiling. My Dad helped me suspend all of my Battle of Britain models from the ceiling when I was 9 years old too.

Thanks for sharing your photos (and thanks to your Dad too, for all his encouragement). 

WELL DONE again !

• Thanks 1