1/12 Ferrari SF70-H

shood23

Your indeed correct f1insider no body has answered it yet. Your almost correct in the what and where they are, they are the tuning vanes directly beneath the lower front suspension arms. 

Shaun 

Right so I've really been slacking on this build I feel with the updates not really progressing the build enough so I have decided to move rear wards on the car and get a few on the more overlooked parts done while I'm waiting for other bits to be ready for the next phase. 

So before I left for work today I got out the rear underside body panels that I had sprayed up in gloss black. You can't really tell in the picture but the surface is a mirror. Honestly one of the best rattle can blacks I have ever used. 

20171016_130111

So now moving on, before I sprayed the part I took a template with masking tape. Using mfh square carbon decal I cut around the template to give that little bit more room for error. Stuck it down with micro set and micro sol and a little heat from the wife's hairdryer and voila. Again the picture doesn't show the full effect of how well the decal sat down on the part but given how many different angle there are there is very little to be unhappy about. 

20171016_130026

And just sat on the floor pan to give a representation of where the part will go. It also shows the curvature a little better. 

20171016_130204

More soon 

Shaun 

• Like 2

Ah I understand Colin. At the moment I'm not too sure but when I get in from work I'll have a gander at the sheet to see if there's a name anywhere. 

And you are indeed correct Mr sabre this car is taking up a lot of space aswell as a lot of my spare time so far. Just hoping I can get some red and white on the main parts of the car before I shut the airbrush down over the winter. 

Shaun 

• 4 weeks later...

So finally an update to this build. 

Most of my time went to to finishing another build but this was worked a little also. My main priority was getting the body ready for final primer, so sorting all the little gaps and bits have been the main work but it is finally finished and I can now get 1 last coat of grey primer down, flat it down ready for the white primer and then hopefully some lovely 2017 Ferrari red paint. 

20171110_105845

This area just where the fins on the side of the moncoque are was the worst for fit and the line just didn't want to fill

20171110_105925

And then finally one of the stormtroop style inlets.

20171110_105933

More soon 

Shaun 

Edited by shood23
  • Like 4

• 1 month later...

Right so after a bit of an extended break this is kind of back on the table. 

So starting off with the bad. 

The oil coolers, or what ever Ferrari used them for, for some reason had bubbled even though they have never been near any souce of heat. So I cut them off and will have a sort of Austria spec floor now. I could heat them and flatten them out again but honestly as I don't know what caused the bubble in the first place I don't want to risk it happening again after I've painted and got decals on. 

20180103_124830

Obviously after taking them off the floor required quite a bit of clean up. It didn't take too long so I'm not to worried. 

20180103_124909

I'm not sure if I had said before but I wasn't happy with the finish on the wheels so into ipa they went and out come the filler to fix the bits I wasn't 100% happy with. 

20180103_124840

The gearbox area was one of the bits I was originally going to take a short cut with as it wasn't going to be seen much but this just bugged me so again I have filled the gaps and soon will get some more primer on. 

20180103_124849

The little horned s-duct part had the gaps filled also. 

20180103_125016

The nose has also had it main aero bit added and gaps filled it's now ready for primer. 

20180103_125007

And finally on the prep side of things there was always a little dip on the part of the body where the shark fin meets the engine cover from top to bottom. I feel this may have been caused by me being too hard while sanding but it fixed now so I can happily move on. 

20180103_124942

So now the nose cone has been sprayed with primer again. There are a couple a very small bits I'm not 100% happy with but it's mainly just for in the primer that I can sand out. 

20180110_162623

The main body has been sprayed in primer again also. As you will see the lower front suspension arms have been glued on also, this was because when I tried them out testing the gap was huge so I got it closed as much as I could but ultimately I would not be happy with even a 1mm gap that shouldn't be there so glued them on and filled the gap. 

20180110_162450

The biggest part to change is the floor pan. The whole bit has now been primed, flatted back and sprayed with Halfords gloss black. Now I just need to get the carbon on and it's done. 

20180110_162409

More soon 

Shaun 

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

It's about time for an update on this. 

I have been really crap at getting bits done on this and I have to stop starting more kits and get on with this. So from now I am going to work in little areas to get them done or at least ready for painting. 

So that being said I masked up the floor pan ready to make some carbon decals. Really gutted I am having to do this now having seen the new Tamiya version of this kit which includes near enough the full set of decals. All the colour lines are roughly where different kinds of carbon need to go. 

20180129_175938

So I then made a start and instantly realised my mistake in trying to do the front bib/tea tray area in 2 halves. It ended up being 6 bits total and there are some line and wrinkles that I just couldn't avoid. 

20180131_143625

Nicely the front half of the floor went a lot easier. 

20180131_143617

And there we have it 1 side near enough completed. The breaks In the large twill carbon is because it's shunko carbon and is crap for anything curved or big without the strongest decal setter or alot of heat.

20180131_205442

And finally the main body section is now just about to have some white primer added to it after having to high point I  the primer knocked off. Also the picture tells you exactly why I am making a new photo box as this is massive compared to anything else I've made since using the original box. 

20180131_205511

More soon 

Shaun 

• Like 2

Shaun

It does look like a beast!

I wished I had you patients with CF decals, although I haven't posted anything yet I made a start on the Ferrari 126c4 and cocked up the CF decaling for the fiddly front brake air intakes, I found the mfh decals had little adhesion and took an age to dry/adhere to the intakes. How are you finding these decals?

Did Ferrari really use carbon that far back? I mean I know McLaren used it for a chassis first in the very early 80s so small things like brake ducts may have been used prior to the mp4-1, I just felt Ferrari were always behind the curve back then especially pre 87. 

And only the square box carbon on this is mfh and I found the same as you it does take a while to settle, even more so around curves but atleast it's quite thin and relatively strong. The main issue I have had is the shunko stuff, that is thick, brittle and oddly really doesn't like being cut. The small twill near the blade and rear floor openings is hobby design and that's been a dream to work with. 

Shaun  

• Like 1

Edit I was searching while I commented and it seems carbon fibre was used as far back as 75' on brabhams and the embassy hill cars. But McLaren was the first to use all carbon monocoque. 

Shaun  

8 minutes ago, shood23 said:

Edit I was searching while I commented and it seems carbon fibre was used as far back as 75' on brabhams and the embassy hill cars. But McLaren was the first to use all carbon monocoque. 

Shaun  

Carbon first used (IIRC) on the Lola T70 in the '60s. I think it was common in the Can-Am long before F1 discovered it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sabrejet said:

Carbon first used (IIRC) on the Lola T70 in the '60s. I think it was common in the Can-Am long before F1 discovered it.

Jesus. Would that be because of the same company that encouraged McLaren to use it or someone else. Also we have been using carbon now for over 50 years and we have not really put it to use in many ways. I get the cost factor but stuff that was high tech in f1 10-15 years ago you can now get on a Vauxhall Corsa so why have we not developed carbon in the same way. 

Shaun 

• Like 1

I don't think the Lola used (Hercules?) for its composites as did McLaren. For some reason Dupont rings a bell.

Carbon is fine for weight/strength but isn't very impact-resistant: hence use of Kevlar/aramid for leading edges etc. But Kevlar is a b1tch to work with. Carbon is also a lot more labour-intensive to manufacture than, say, a similar pressed-steel panel. Automated manufacture of carbon fibre can be done on a mass-produced scale (e.g. filament-wound fishing rods), but there's a big difference between that and uniquely-shaped vehicle panels or monocoques.

So it's still the preserve of relatively low-production vehicles (I think the Alfa 4C is the highest-volume carbon-fibre chassis car) and aerospace etc. 

I also suspect that repair of automotive carbon fibre scares people away (it is possible, but thus far the expertise is limited for road cars); to do it properly you need controlled air purity, humidity and temperature. That's easy if you have an autoclave; less easy to achieve in a high-street garage.

Another the one that really hasn't been tackled is the disposal of carbon fibre. Finally if you've ever been to the site of a carbon-fibre aircraft crash (e.g Harrier GR.5/7/9 back in the day), you'll see that they often take the topsoil away because carbon in its burnt or fibrous state is an environmental disaster: ditto working cured CF.

So I guess the answer is, "...because it's a pain in the butt".

Edited by Sabrejet
  • Like 1

Yeah I see your point sabre. I guess though if more companies used it demand and manfacturing would go up bringing overall costs down. And the point on high street garages is the same with any work really, I mean I wouldn't take my car to a crappy looking shop and expect a show quality full body recolour. 

Shaun  

Right so I've been working a little more on this as well as the other projects i have going at the moment. 

The rear body parts have both had carbon applied now and body have had a light coat of Tamiya semi gloss clear applied. There are a few odd spot that I hope with a rub down and another coat will go away.

20180201_160903

The nose cone has had white primer applied now also. 

20180201_160820

And not long after the nose the main part of the body was covered in white primer. Also this picture perfectly shows why I'm making a new photo area. 

2018-02-04_04-49-15

There are a few bits that need a little attention but hopefully it won't need any more primer and I can get on white putting some colour on. 

More soon 

Shaun  

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Major news. 

Finally I have an update worthy amount of progress. 

So I have got to the stage now where I can start thinking about some of the lovely Ferrari Rosso paint, but before that I had to choose if I trusted the white decals on the engine fin to block out the red that will be under them at the end. I decided to play it safe and paint the white first, now comes the issue of masking off the white and given the decal isn't a straight line I got inventive. So I scanned the decals and printed the fin decal on to masking sheet just under the size of the decal, literally like 99% size, just so that gives a little wiggle room for placement. 

The Ink didn't like the masking sheet and took forever to dry hence the fingerprints. 

20180211_124021

Then cut them out as close to the edge as possible. 

20180212_130516

The car was painted In vw candy white, it's not a candy colour it's a solid white, it's the cleanest white I've used so it's now a go to colour for any white car. 

20180215_123401

The masks were a little fiddly but they went on in not an embarrassing amount of time, 20 minutes isn't bad to put 2 bits of tape on right. And the red paint was prepped. 

20180215_124719

And the big reveal. 

This was after a couple of coats of red. Just a quick note on the red, this is the best covering red I have ever used from zero paints, the closest match colour wise to this is the 06 f1 red and that took so many coats to get it done this haz taken 2 to get to this. 

20180215_132431

And a couple more coats later it's done. Only left the masks on until it was touch dry so as not to leave any tape residue on the body. 

20180215_161614

The masks worked perfectly. No bleeds what so ever and no jagged edges. 

20180215_154145

The nose cone was done with the body and thankfully the colour match between parts is spot on. 

20180215_161636

Finally I have made a start to the barge boards by panning them up In Halfords gloss black they are now ready for carbon then the white decal. 

20180215_155409

That's that for now. 

More soon 

Shaun 

• Like 2