Barracuda question

pat d

Can some kind soul out there in the BritModeller ether tell me what was the purpose of the 2 "windows" in the lower inboard wing leading edges of the Fairey Barracuda right next to the fuselage? I have looked in the pilots notes and history of the aircraft but have not had any luck. I know there are 2 other "eyebrow" windows right below the canopy which I assume were to add some illumination to the cockpit interior. The windows in the wing leading edges, I have no idea!

Thanks in advance!

Pat D

Thank you, Steve. I had originally posted this about 5 years ago and although I tried to keep up with it I did not realize that the post went on for another 9 months. I keep hoping that Airfix will grace us with a new state of the art 1/48 Barracuda, that new Walrus looks pretty nice from what I have seen in photos. 

Thank you again, Pat

• Like 2

In case anybody missed the answer in the thread linked by stevehnz above, (it's in post no.75) the definitive answer to this seems to be in A.P.2018A, Vol 1, Sect 7, Chap 1, para 14 which states A detachable transparent panel in the leading edge of each stub plane nosing is to increase the pilot's field of vision.

I think this must only have applied to pilots who were contortionists.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Nicely summarised Ivor, I was at work on my smart phone yesterday when I posted the above & didn't spot that it was Pat's query originally, though I knew it had been discussed before. I was surprised to find it was that long ago. I couldn't recall exactly what the outcome was & reread it when I got home last night. Spot on Ivor. :)

Steve.

On 09/09/2017 at 5:41 PM, Ivor Ramsden said:

In case anybody missed the answer in the thread linked by stevehnz above, (it's in post no.75) the definitive answer to this seems to be in A.P.2018A, Vol 1, Sect 7, Chap 1, para 14 which states A detachable transparent panel in the leading edge of each stub plane nosing is to increase the pilot's field of vision.

I think this must only have applied to pilots who were contortionists.

I had missed that - and like lots of us who are interested in the Barra, had always wondered.  The fact that it was detachable also explains why in some photographs it looks like a hole and others it looks glazed.  Without sitting in a Barra cockpit [which in due course might even be possible once more, and who'd have thought that a few years ago?], I am struggling to see how it improved the pilot's visibility of anything useful, but there you go!

Fernando, the original Admiralty spec probably had mentions of chain shot, cutlasses and boarding nets - it took a while for the RN at senior levels to really "get" this vulgar flying business…

• Like 1