1/48 aircraft wheel inners

Lawzer

Hi folks,

not sure if this is the right place to post this....

I bought a kit off ebay "slightly started" and "all parts believed to be there".  Understatement on both counts.....

so it's a 1/48 f4u corsair and i've been able to do the other missing parts but both the wheels innners were missing.  I've looked about in spares box/ washers but nothing fits.

i have a set of compasses but no hole puch big enough.  I don't really want to jam some milliput in there but I'm not sure what to do.

any suggestions (polite please ;) )?

ian

Hi Ian

Do you mean the wheel hubs?

Try asking in the "wanted" section?    Someone may  have Corsair or Hellcat wheels spare (they are the same BTW but tyre treads vary),   I think some Eduard Hellcats have resin replacements and still have the the plastic parts

(I'd also be  asking for a partial  refund from the seller ;) )

There are also resin wheels

https://www.hannants.co.uk/search/index.php?product_category_id=&product_division_id=&manufacturer_id=&code=&product_type_id=&scale_id=955&keyword_search=f4u+wheels&setPerPage=25&currency_id=

these are not bank breakers

https://www.hannants.co.uk/product/CMQ48097

as for punches,  these  can be got cheap

s-l300.jpg

"

Hollow Punch Set 6pce, Heat-treated carbon steel, knurled bodied for controlled grip.

Creates clean, accurate holes in rubber, leather, plastic and vinyl. Sizes 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 and 8mm.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Silverline-Hole-Punch-Pliers-Hollow-Punch-Set-Gasket-making-craft-667372-200111-/152140140378?var=&epid=1204318973&hash=item236c424f5a:m:mbEqV_p-Eix6eb9HLz1_OfQ

Sure there are more options.

HTH

T

• Like 1

If you don't have any joy from the info Troy has posted and just need a couple of punched discs out of evergreen - let me know...

I can now do 3mm to 16mm in 1mm increments - thanks to this little baby...

71o9YgOy12L._SX355_.jpg

punchtastic :D

• Like 1

Lawzer, if you think that some Hellcat wheels would fit, you're welcome to message me and I'll post a pair to you. No point in having little discs of plastic if you can have proper wheels. ;)

• Like 1

Wheel centres - what WAS i thinking!! :)

yes indeed just the hubs.

the wheels come moulded as a whole but with the HUB on one side seperate (both of which were missing).  I think i'll get away with flat no detail discs as the rest of the kit is *ahem* unique shall we say (badly scratched gear doors and the tail wheel from i think a hurricane)...

@Ade H thanks very much for the offer - i think the hellcat wheels would be too small :(

@BIG X me old mucker i think i will take you up on your offer - i'll measure the size (and depth)....

wheel centres - jeez............

The Eduard Hellcat wheel hubs (and tyres) are the same diameter as Corsair hubs, so although the Eduard tyres are known for being narrow, I think that the hubs should still be usable. The offer's always open in case you change your mind.

Edit: I did check them against my Corsair kits (although I can't give away those wheels) and some resin wheels. All the same diameter.

Edited by Ade H

13 hours ago, Troy Smith said:

Someone may  have Corsair or Hellcat wheels spare (they are the same BTW but tyre treads vary), 

1 hour ago, Lawzer said:

i think the hellcat wheels would be too small

https://www.hannants.co.uk/product/ASQ48067

Vought F4U-1/F4U-4 Corsair/Grumman F6F-3/F6F-5 Hellcat Diamond Tread Wheels set

as I said Ian,  they are the same.

32120+Corsair+Hellcat+wheels+postwar++(2

329edbd4e4e08118264062a940ea346c--grumma

• Like 1

@Ade H and @Troy Smith apologies - head stuck up the posterier this morning!! 😴

have read PROPERLY now the replies.

so ade h yes i'd like to take you up on your generous offer. I'll pm you if that's ok?

cheers

ian

Edited by Lawzer
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, Ade H said:

Yeah, please do so, Ian. Let me know your address and I'll post them off to you on Monday or Tuesday. Hopefully, they'll be workable for your kit.

Good Man :clap2:

• 2 years later...
On 9/8/2017 at 10:34 PM, BIG X said:

If you don't have any joy from the info Troy has posted and just need a couple of punched discs out of evergreen - let me know...

I can now do 3mm to 16mm in 1mm increments - thanks to this little baby...

71o9YgOy12L._SX355_.jpg

punchtastic :D

I have an urgent need for just this thing. Where did you get it Kind Sir please? 

41 minutes ago, SleeperService said:

I have an urgent need for just this thing. Where did you get it Kind Sir please? 

Hello Sleeper - I got it on Amazon and have had very regular use out of it since - a good investment...

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0144ELZ6K/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o08_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, BIG X said:

Hello Sleeper - I got it on Amazon and have had very regular use out of it since - a good investment...

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0144ELZ6K/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o08_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Ordered Thank You for the fast reply. I need something a bit beefier for a friend's ship project. I can see this being very useful here too.