Supermarine's best? [Now with added Seafire 47... & Seafang!]

Astonishingly after all that work, the missing part remains missing!

Giorgio, I have 2 chisels; one with a square end and one round - but there are other shapes too.  Master Tools model chisels; I bought them at Telford 2016, and use them all the timeThey're actually made by Trumpeter, which I hadn’t realised until now.  Great for all sorts of stuff; stay tuned & you’ll see more praise for them, because I’ve been using them on the Seafire 47 engine firewall today, and yet again they came up trumps.  Not expensive, either.  

Edit: this is what they look like in their cases:

38535668004_12e160a8bc_b.jpg

Edited by Ex-FAAWAFU
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

On 12/22/2017 at 8:56 PM, hendie said:

the last few weeks he's "lost" his mojo, lost half a Walrus, now he's gone and lost a wing ..... I think he's lost the entire Sea King and just too embarrassed to admit to it!   :whistle:

And this is why, historically, Naval aircraft have had to have a seat for a Navigator.

While the chaps in the pale blue are (mostly) allowed out on their own. Tsk

Merry Christmas you lot. Try not to eat too much. :pie:

• Like 4
  • Haha 4

On 22/12/2017 at 11:00 PM, perdu said:

Ho ho

I finished a small black Catalina this year, do you think I have even a clue where I put it?

:(

Western Approaches? Bay of Biscay? 

Hope it turns up.

Happy Christmas Bill, and of course to you too Crisp!

• Haha 1

On 12/22/2017 at 8:56 PM, hendie said:

I think he's lost the entire Sea King...

"The report of my death has been greatly exaggerated" [Mark Twain]

39260261531_20aa80c5fc_c.jpg

"And mine"

39260262221_c6032f707e_c.jpg

HAPPY CHRISTMAS everybody!  May Santa bring you many things that delight you (and probably make your other half look utterly mystified...)

38552742114_a0f90088a4_c.jpg

[Archetypal WW2 Jack Tar en route to fixing Christmas Tree to the masthead of HMS Turquoise, an ASW Trawler, Christmas 1943]

Crisp x

Edited by Ex-FAAWAFU
  • Like 11
  • Haha 1

So does the Observer not navigate?  Henry the Observer just doesn’t sound right. Can just see the scene, Christopher Columbus, where are we, then, what, oh sorry, I’m just here to observe!  😂😂😂.

Merry Christmas, Crisp, thank you and all the other BMers for the entertainment this year and look forward to seeing some more outstanding modelling next year!

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, HomerJ_757 said:

So does the Observer not navigate?  Henry the Observer just doesn’t sound right. Can just see the scene, Christopher Columbus, where are we, then, what, oh sorry, I’m just here to observe!  😂😂😂.

That is probably the main reason that the term Observer has persisted in the RN.  Originally it was because they observed - reconnaissance & (especially) spotting for guns; even the RFC & early RAF used the word.  

But every ship has a person called “the Navigator” (strictly, the “Navigation Officer”); the geezer wot stops you going aground and the like.  So when the RAF started using the word for aircrew, the RN didn’t follow suit, so as to avoid confusion.

“Oi! Fred! Have you seen the Navigator - it’s urgent...”

”Ah, well that depends on whether you mean the ship’s Navigator or the bloke who sits in the left hand seat of the Lynx; be precise, man!”

...crunch...

”Too late...”

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 4

2 hours ago, Ex-FAAWAFU said:

“Oi! Fred! Have you seen the Navigator - it’s urgent...”

”Ah, well that depends on whether you mean the ship’s Navigator or the bloke who sits in the left hand seat of the Lynx; be precise, man!”

...crunch...

”Too late...”

A certain Sub-Lieutenant Phillips' late of HMS Troutbridge springs to mind!..... "Left hand down a bit".....

Merry Christmas Crisp and the rest of the crew!

• Haha 4

On 12/24/2017 at 5:42 AM, Ex-FAAWAFU said:

But every ship has a person called “the Navigator” (strictly, the “Navigation Officer”); the geezer wot stops you going aground and the like.

It was common Naval terminology to say "the never-guesser".

Something to do with statements on the bridge, along the lines of "you'll never guess where we are now Sir!"...

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

The chisles look the biz Crisp, I might look for something similar. I use a couple of bone chisles aobainted from a mate at the Jo'burg club who repped for a sergical company and a 3mm motice chisle but that is a bit clunky.

Colin

Back to work on the Fang.  

Gradually getting the geometry of the undercarriage to look a bit more realistic:

39307536872_d2d70c5199_c.jpg

And fairing Trumpeter roots into the Barracudacast resin tails - elevators and rudder dry fitted, but the whole ensemble is a considerable improvement on the rather lifeless original:

38629445464_49c0f950b3_c.jpg

38629446364_2cffc0b877_c.jpg

Still have to add a small section at the bottom of the rudder, above the tail hook assembly.

More soon

Crisp 

• Like 10

3 hours ago, Courageous said:

Crisp, I'm sure it's a perspective thing (or my eyes are wonky:drunk:) but that tail plane looks enormous compared to the main wing:shrug:

Stuart

I think there is a meme thingy referring to a certain Irish TV priest

"This is small..."

LOL

:lol:

but you are right and when you're right, you're right  ;)

• Haha 2

It is indeed a perspective thing - plus, I suspect, the fact that the Spitfire wing shape is so completely ingrained in us all that any deviation from it looks odd; clipped wings, extended high altitude pointy things, the late slightly more angular wing... all instantly register in our subconscious as "SPIT" without a moment's delay.  This, however,r is NOT that wing, but it has exactly the same tail as (e.g.) the FR46, so the wing 'ought' to be the same..

It isn't.  But it is the right size.  Tail now glued.

39325008812_7e5b6f990f_c.jpg

I have also nearly completed detailing the undercarriage bays.  Here is one of them, and you will immediately be able to spot a problem:

39325008502_6ae40763c2_c.jpg

Yes, not entirely to my surprise the re-worked undercarriage leg has proved not to be strong enough.  It was worth a try as was, but I have a Plan B which involves drilling and pinning - watch this space.  Actually the lack of wheel makes fitting the legs, retraction jacks, etc slightly easier.  Nothing that dangles lower than the lower skin of the wing is glued here.  The Port bay has everything seen here except the copper wire elements.  The flattened brass thing angling into the wheel area of the bay is a catapult spool; I am not 100% sure that this is where the spools were on the 'Fang, but it is definitely where the Attacker had them, so I have done some extrapolation!

Edit: here is an additional picture showing the catapult spool.  They were fitted on a vertical hinge, so could swing down below the wing when needed for a catapult strop, but sat out of the way in the wheel bay the rest of the time.

39325220642_baf109a5f6_c.jpg

More soon

Crisp

Edited by Ex-FAAWAFU
  • Like 10