Damaged WNW kits on sale.

Bear Paw

1 hour ago, redcap said:

To keep those updated in the UK who were expecting their damaged WNW kits, after Parcel Force (PF) have extracted their ransom the kits may not be quite the 'bargain' you were hoping for.

JUST received my PF ransom note today and they are charging me a modest £7.70 in VAT......PLUS £11.25 'clearance fee' to collect it. I was always under the impression VAT wasn't collected if under £8.00 but obviously that's now changed too. Oh....and looking on the PF website, the clearance fee is given as £8.00 but having just queried that with a member of their staff on the phone, I was told "Oh sorry about that luv'.... but it's just gone up and the website should be getting updated soon."  So that's a 40% increase in charging to process your tax too absent any explanation as to how this is justified! Amazing, I can do my own tax return each year and be entrusted to hand over thousands of quid to HMRC but can't pay £7.00 directly myself for a model kit. Madness!

That's me done now with importing anything from the hobby which attracts import tax and if I can't but it here or (for now) the EU, I will do without it. The tax bit I get and acknowledge, but I am not being ripped off by PF "fees" after this parcel has been paid for.

Gary

Same here, used to get quite a bit from HLJ and even with the vat and PF ransom they could still be a lot cheaper.But since HLJ changed their website, which is a nightmare to find anything now, and upped their delivery charges it's just not worth the effort now

And don't forget that PF charge will also include vat so it's a double hit

45 minutes ago, bentwaters81tfw said:

I had a similar demand from PF today, but at £11.25, its still a cheap clearance fee. Commercial importers charged £17.50 25 years ago. I paid online and have just collected my kit to save me sitting in all day tomorrow.

The kit box is just pulp, but the contents are all in plastic bags and are fine. The decal sheet has an airhole in the bag, and they have been slightly affected, but perfectly usable. Instructions like wise in a sealed bag.

At the end of the day I've paid £60 for a kit that Hannants knock out for twice that.

I call that a bargain.

It's subjective what people consider 'value' mate and my gripe is that they can charge whatever they like - and seemingly do given the 40% hike - and you have no alternative but to pay their fees to get your hands on stuff paid for on post tax disposable income. So what next, £15.00, then a £20.00 'fee' just to collect single digit sums of tax and with no option to have someone else process it? It's the principal and there is nothing I want (or need) bad enough to have the buying experience tainted by being ripped off by PF's monopoly. I hope the end result (kit) is as good as you say but irrespective, that's me done with anything that goes through the ever grasping claws of PF. If I can't get it in the UK or on eBay and someone with flexibility on parcel labels, then it won't get bought.

The final bummer is the depot it has been sent to is over 30 miles away so a round 60+ miles trip isn't really an option (plus 2 gals of petrol); so it's waiting in all day for the kit to arrive as the sole option.

Gary

• Like 1

2 hours ago, bentwaters81tfw said:

I had a similar demand from PF today, but at £11.25, its still a cheap clearance fee. Commercial importers charged £17.50 25 years ago. I paid online and have just collected my kit to save me sitting in all day tomorrow.

The kit box is just pulp, but the contents are all in plastic bags and are fine. The decal sheet has an airhole in the bag, and they have been slightly affected, but perfectly usable. Instructions like wise in a sealed bag.

At the end of the day I've paid £60 for a kit that Hannants knock out for twice that.

I call that a bargain.

That's good to hear, waiting for a Ninak myself, and I did wonder what the damage would be bearing in mind the price.  Hopefully will be getting my ransom demand any day now. 

5 hours ago, bentwaters81tfw said:

Some people are never satisfied.:shrug: You knew it was likely to attract VAT and a clearance fee, and still you ordered it.  At the end of the day you are getting a WNW kit for half price! :fraidnot:

I thought I had made clear in one of the earlier posts that I had assumed (clearly in error) taxes were included as per when I last ordered direct via Weta. I never read the masses of small print otherwise I wouldn't have raised the issue. As I also said, the tax element isn't the moot point; rather it is the monopolised and unaccountable PF handling fee that I took issue with not the overall price of the kit itself. Anyway, let's leave it at that as ultimately my error with small print and your homily are meaningless anyway.

Gary

I must admit that I'd forgotten about the duty and handling charge and my $29 DH9a hasn't arrived yet and I'm now in week 3 of the 30 days so I jump every time something gets delivered to work but I will be just  bit disappointed if its a red postcard telling me to pay squillions - but the kit retails for over £100 - but then we can hardly sell it at 'normal' second hand WNW prices can we? A kit to build, not to sell I think.

I'm expecting mine to be just decent plastic in a box of mush. I have already bought  a new set of decals from WNW that have already arrived - cost $15 including postage - on the basis that for $29 I can't expect useable decals - but I may be wrong but the supply of spare decals is limited I am told (maybe to 2000 sheets!) ! The decals also included the PE fret and I didn't expect that .

I must admit that I seldom import from outside the EU now - unless its maybe Fisher and to good to resist - and I think I've got away with it so far!

Simon

i've got no choice but to import, as they don't make kits in Thailand that i know of (aside from one Royal Thai Navy frigate). 

import duties are harsh here too... one thing that worked for me (and probably won't for those of you in the UK) is sending by ordinary, non-tracked post. here, they don't seem to even check the declared value if it's not tracked and insured. got dinged severely on the first three kits (DFW C.V, AMC DH.9, Early Fee)... but a free hall pass on the Rumpler C.IV, which just landed. 

this is the first damaged kit i've received where anything but the box was damaged. the top right corner of the box was crushed and, as a result, one of the two wishbone-shaped cabane strut parts was snapped. i'll probably just repair the part rather than buy a new sprue. other than that the kit is mint, the box not so much. kit is gorgeous. i'm new to the WNW thing but all in. these kits are gorgeous. 

so that's 4 sale kits. one more and i'm an ace... oh yeah. i got an Albatros comin'. 

My Ninak has just arrived, apart from damage to the box the contents are in perfect condition and complete, they have even included a very nice SE5/SE5a Squadrons book. Chuffed doesn't even describe it.

On 19/09/2017 at 4:02 PM, bentwaters81tfw said:

Some people are never satisfied.:shrug: You knew it was likely to attract VAT and a clearance fee, and still you ordered it.  At the end of the day you are getting a WNW kit for half price! :fraidnot:

I don't think it is that people are never satisfied but like others I for one cannot see the justification for such a high fee, I think the fee is extortionate. Overall I am more than satisfied, I knew there would be VAT and a fee to pay which was factored into my decision to buy. I have had a very good deal and as I said I am more than happy.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, andrewfl290 said:

I don't think it is that people are never satisfied but like others I for one cannot see the justification for such a high fee, I think the fee is extortionate.

There have been numerous threads about how 'Extortionate' a customs clearance charge is. How much an hour do you earn? How much do you charge for your professional services? How much of you own money is tied up on permanent deposit with HMR&C? Are you fully conversant with the Customs Harmonised Tariff? Do you know how to prepare a Customs Entry?

I spent 25 years doing just that, and 25 years ago, we were charging DOUBLE the ParcelFarce/Royal Snail rate, and that was industry standard. The next time someone imports their own goods, send it sea or air freight, and ask the shipper to send it as a commercial package, and arrange your own clearance.

Alternatively, employ a professional clearing agency of your choice at the port or airport of entry.

Also bear in mind, the fee covers a single shipment, not a single item. Bring in one kit, or a hundred under the same shipment, the fee remains constant.

Is £0.1125 per kit extortionate?

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, bentwaters81tfw said:

There have been numerous threads about how 'Extortionate' a customs clearance charge is. How much an hour do you earn? How much do you charge for your professional services? How much of you own money is tied up on permanent deposit with HMR&C? Are you fully conversant with the Customs Harmonised Tariff? Do you know how to prepare a Customs Entry?

I spent 25 years doing just that, and 25 years ago, we were charging DOUBLE the ParcelFarce/Royal Snail rate, and that was industry standard. The next time someone imports their own goods, send it sea or air freight, and ask the shipper to send it as a commercial package, and arrange your own clearance.

Alternatively, employ a professional clearing agency of your choice at the port or airport of entry.

Also bear in mind, the fee covers a single shipment, not a single item. Bring in one kit, or a hundred under the same shipment, the fee remains constant.

Is £0.1125 per kit extortionate?

Sorry if this touches a nerve. And there I think you have hit the nail on the head, the fee is not proportionate.

And that is why it has been commented on, again, and in the case of the Ninak it is something like 20% of the whole. Also one cannot compare 25 years ago with today as the global market is so very different. I appreciate these companies cannot provide a service without a cost and that is why I said I factored in the charge and VAT so it was no surprise. It still does not stop me thinking that £11.25 is a disproportionate cost for a single item of such low cost and is excessive. Just my opinion. And nothing to do with people being dissatisfied, I think we are all extremely happy with our bargains and very happy with the overall cost.

• Like 2

I love watching you guys in fits over this subject.

The whole area bemuses me - we pay nothing extra here in Oz - but I must agree that it seems somewhat extortionate to me. Every now and then some pollie declares that he/she wants to levy the GST (same as VAT) on imports, but even then the mooted lower limit tends to be higher than the value of any model kit. Frankly, I wouldn't like to pay GST on goods that weren't even provided in this country, but would accept the imposition. I don't really follow the PF angle - Australia Post has it's own parcel delivery arm, and foreign post is included under that and under the auspices of various international agreements AP has with foreign postal services. As an example, the British firm The Book Depository (now Amazon owned, I know) has long earned the particular ire of various local pollies by using aspects of those agreements to 'compel' AP to deliver their books for free.

I think that the 'lower limit' on value of goods being brought in is somewhat unfair. I don't know what it is now but I believe it used to be something like £18 and, above that figure then the cost of shipping was added on to that total prior to levying the tax. For such small values it hardly seems worth the effort of assessing and taxing them and as has been said the handling fee seems disproportionate to the value of goods. If the government raised this threshold to a higher point then the handling charge from PF/Royal Snail would be a bit more 'proportionate' to the value of goods.

On another note, might I ask those who have acquired these kits - Do they come with a big 'WD' on the front in Magic Marker? I see someone is selling two kits on ebay with starting bids not that much less than the 'New' kits fetch that both have a big 'WD' across the fronts of the boxes.

• Like 1

Yes, they have WD in black on the boxes. My box was so bad, I junked it and used the transit box.

Threshold was reduced to £15. Problem is, so many people buy direct from abroad, HMG are losing out. If you look hard enough, anywhere HMG are involved, it's all a ploy to generate revenue.

Well, my Ninak just arrived.  £7.70 V.A.T (lthe kit was 39.95 NZ dollars), the £11.25 Clearance Charge , and IIRC postage was a few dollars less than the kit cost.  Dated as sent 29th August,  demand for the extra payment received yesterday, kit arrived a few minutes ago. All as expected. Still came out ahead, especially as the water damage was only to one small corner of the box, causing minimal  damage to the box only, and not enough to prevent it's continued use for indefinite storage.

Slightly amused by the Parcelforce website, where I was informed that the tracking number could be found at the top left of the demand letter. Yup, I found it at the top right.

Paul.

As a pipe tobacco smoker I can't help but agree with you there Frank. I am even contemplating growing my own the plants will grow perfectly well in our climate and it is actually legal as far as I know. The only problem, I believe, is that processing it i.e. drying pressing etc. is illegal.

With the threshold as low as £15 it might as well be zero. The difficulty is that often there is no equivalent available for a lot of items. For example I used to collect Native American bolo ties and, as far as I know, we don't have any Native American silversmiths here.

I recall reading many years ago about 'tax harmonisation' plans within Europe which were supposed to see taxes raised on cigarettes and alcohol in countries where it was lower and lowered in countries where it was higher and HMG refused to lower duties in the UK. If they had I doubt there would have been all the smuggling and the possibly dangerous counterfeit tobacco and alcohol products that appeared on the market.

Yeah Beardie - whopping great 'WD' scrawled across the box. I bought an AEG G.IV (Late) and even the box was only slightly damaged - enough to be noticeable, but not enough to affect even the integrity of the box itself. I took a punt on the fact that WNW stuff is so well packaged and sealed internally that there was little chance of any real damage - and I was right for a change. Anyone selling this stock on eBay is a crook though - are they warranting the quality of the contents, or just selling 'as is' without specifics?

I should probably also say that I actually think that WNW kits are worth the retail price anyway, but I personally wasn't quite prepared to pay full tote for this particular kit because I know that it will probably take years - if ever - to be built. If I never get around to it, so what?

Darn it! I would have loved the AEG G.IV (Late) as it is the only 'first line' kit  I haven't got yet but I just don't have the finances at the moment even for a water damaged copy.

The chap selling says they are damaged'due to storage' but not that they are water damaged 'B' stock direct from Wingnuts.

On 9/22/2017 at 9:16 PM, Beardie said:

On another note, might I ask those who have acquired these kits - Do they come with a big 'WD' on the front in Magic Marker? I see someone is selling two kits on ebay with starting bids not that much less than the 'New' kits fetch that both have a big 'WD' across the fronts of the boxes.

yeah they do and yeah i noticed. saw an AEG G.IV on offer for *more* than retail. signed by chef Wylie Dufresne of course. that didn't take long. 

10 hours ago, jckspratt1 said:

Then he is being flexible with the truth - 'WD' = 'water damaged". WNW were quite forthcoming about the reason for sale.

a small technicality... WD = Warehouse Damage according to Dave at WNW.  

got my 5th and final Damage Sale WNW kit yesterday. Albatros D.Va. this one clearly has seen some water. all plastic is impeccable, instructions mint, box a little bit water stained, decals might be usable... but have clearly seen some moisture. not fussed over decals, this is going to be Udet's, from the "Black Beauties" sheet. 

so that's five sale kits (ACE!) only two had any damage at all. am i happy? yes. yes, i am. even though i spent way more than i wanted to, and won't eat again until 1 October. 

• Like 1

Hooray I received my warehouse damaged AMC D.H.9 from New Zealand.  Crushed box end but other than that perfect in every way.  

I had the privilege to pay £13 in VAT and the Parcel Force handling charge of £11 - so a total of £24.  Thank you.  

If I add the shipping charge to this it nearly comes to the sale price of the kit.  

Bloody hell. 

I have to admit that the narrow difference between 'new' prices and the price you would end up paying once postage VAT and the Royal Snail got their cut is one of the things that put me off, as well of course as the lack of funds. I have to be mindful that there may be a time when I might have to sell a kit or two in a tight spot and condition seems to be everything when Wingnuts move on the secondhand market and really affects the value.

no LHS in Thailand carries WNW as far as i know. so i'd be paying even more duties if i paid full price. 

however, i'm lucky. my moaning about import duties provoked a Thai friend to give me tips on evading customs just to shut me up. here, they tend not to inspect packages that are sent plain vanilla untracked, uninsured post. i've never had a package disappear, but if one ever does the net savings by evading duties will more than make up for it. 

• 1 month later...