Airfix, The Golden Years Group Build. Classic Airfix 1950's- 1980 Chat

I'm in as well. I've got a Matilda, a couple for Hurricanes at least one Spit MkV that can become a seafire, a Kingfisher and a bundle of biplanes, Afro 504, Pup and Albatross. To name but a few. 

• Like 3

Put me down as a participant. I will have something that qualifies in a box in the loft

Supplementary question.

If I wanted to build the 1/24 Harrier but the GR3. Is that acceptable as the base kit was tooled in the 70's but the add on bits for the GR1 to GR3 conversion are from the mid 90's....

let me know. It might be moot given you have to get 30 sign ups and then get through the ballot...fingers crossed though...

Cheers

Plasto

Edited by Plasto
  • Like 3

6 hours ago, Plasto said:

Put me down as a participant. I will have something that qualifies in a box in the loft

Supplementary question.

If I wanted to build the 1/24 Harrier but the GR3. Is that acceptable as the base kit was tooled in the 70's but the add on bits for the GR1 to GR3 conversion are from the mid 90's....

let me know. It might be moot given you have to get 30 sign ups and then get through the ballot...fingers crossed though...

Cheers

Plasto

Yes your Harrier is perfectly acceptable.

Being as aftermarket parts and scratch is allowed then so must updated kits such as your 1/24 Harrier. I will add this point to my original post, there are a few other old kits with new bits and bobs added to them by Airfix that would qualify. Thanks for pointing this out to us.

I don't know if we will get the 30 names needed for the ballot in time for November. But as we are quickly picking up interest my guess is that we will.

• Like 3

Hello, add me to the list please.

I have plenty in the stash, but the one that is my favourite to do is the Avro Anson, or the Bristol Bulldog biplane, or the Iron Duke ship, the Mauritania or the RE8...

Hope we get through in the poll!

Cheers, Ray

• Like 3

On 9/23/2017 at 8:51 PM, old thumper said:

Our Airfix The Golden Years group build has now received 26 nominations. We now only need another FOUR nominations to enter into the ballot.

1) Old Thumper

2) Ventora3300  

3) Rob G

4) Arniec

5) Theplasicsurgeon

6) Malpaso

7) Stevehnz

8) Caerbannog

9) CliffB

10) Zebra

11) Big X

12) Lawzer

13) Greg Destec 

14) Adrianmf

15) Antb

16) Paul J

17) Avreda

18) Nigel Heath

19) Rafalbert

20) Jb65rams

21) 825

22) Rick Brown

23) Grandboof

24) Plasto

25) Ray S

26) PLC1966

27) Tonytiger66

Edited by old thumper
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Lawzer said:

Soon to take delivery of 2 more 1/48 mossies and another 1/48 109f.

can i register swmbo (if i let her choose the colour scheme)? 😂

So long as she has her own Britmodeller account, I don't think the group build moderator will allow it otherwise.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

17 minutes ago, old thumper said:

So long as she has her own Britmodeller account, I don't think the group build moderator will allow it otherwise.

on the recent blitz build GB some chap showed work by himself and his little lad - can't recall who - but it was a nice touch and well worked.

However - I think lawzer may be having a bit of fun here...

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Lawzer said:

Soon to take delivery of 2 more 1/48 mossies and another 1/48 109f.

can i register swmbo (if i let her choose the colour scheme)? 😂

NO - DON'T DO IT...

I once gave in and allowed my missus to choose the colour of my next company car.  I ALWAYS tend to go for Silver - as it looks clean - even when it is dirty.  Anyway - she thought a Saab would look really good in GUNMETAL.  It arrived and she didn't even attempt to hide her opinion - 'it looks horrible' she said - thanks luv :doh:

The moral of this story - NEVER AGAIN 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

I'll have enough trouble explaining to her why I have 4 kits of the same aircraft (different manufacturers and different marks will hold no sway!).... ;)

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

19 minutes ago, Lawzer said:

I'll have enough trouble explaining to her why I have 4 kits of the same aircraft (different manufacturers and different marks will hold no sway!).... ;)

tell me about it...

...I had to explain to my good lady that 109's could only fly if they were in 5's - otherwise they got scared :lol: 

BTW - luckily she hasn't seen all that 1/72 stuff that has appeared in the last month - though she has enquired as to why there are ladder prints in the carpet under the loft hatch :doh:

Who do I think I'm kidding - it's like living with Miss Marple...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 4

2 hours ago, BIG X said:

on the recent blitz build GB some chap showed work by himself and his little lad - can't recall who - but it was a nice touch and well worked.

However - I think lawzer may be having a bit of fun here...

I think there is a bloke on here whose wife enjoys building kits, I can't remember who it was though and guessed it was Mrs Lawzer.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

On 10/4/2017 at 8:55 AM, old thumper said:

1) Old Thumper

2) Ventora3300  

3) Rob G

4) Arniec

5) Theplasicsurgeon

6) Malpaso

7) Stevehnz

8) Caerbannog

9) CliffB

10) Zebra

11) Big X

12) Lawzer

13) Greg Destec 

14) Adrianmf

15) Antb

16) Paul J

17) Avreda

18) Nigel Heath

19) Rafalbert

20) Jb65rams

21) 825

22) Rick Brown

23) Grandboof

24) Plasto

25) Ray S

26) PLC1966

27) Tonytiger66

28) Rabbit Leader

29) Romeo Alpha Yankee

Bad news, I made a big mistake.

Somehow I missed TonyTiger66's name from our list, which means that rather than 26 interested parties we now have 27.

Another 3 names and we are in like Flynn.

Edited by old thumper
  • Like 2

I've just looked through my "Scalemates" stash and have the following kits that qualify for this GB.

1960 - Bloodhound

1968 - Basset (bought 2nd hand and the previous owner had cut the door out!)

1972 - Canberra B.6 (with corrected Aeroclub nose)

1973 - Strikemaster & S.A Bulldog 

Not as many as I first thought, but the Canberra or Bulldog may be possibilities here.

Looks like the DC-3/Dakota/Skytrain GB is a good chance at getting up, so you might as well add my name as #28 to this one as well.

Cheers... Dave.   

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Rabbit Leader said:

I've just looked through my "Scalemates" stash and have the following kits that quality for this GB.

1960 - Bloodhound

1968 - Basset (bought 2nd hand and the previous owner had cut the door out!)

1972 - Canberra B.6 (with corrected Aeroclub nose)

1973 - Strikemaster & S.A Bulldog 

Not as many as I first thought, but the Canberra or Bulldog may be possibilities here.

Looks like the DC-3/Dakota/Skytrain GB is a good chance at getting up, so you might as well add my name as #28 to this one as well.

Cheers... Dave.   

Thanks for adding your name, just another two needed now.

Most of the above kits sound pretty rare, I think the Basset in particular is quite sought after.

• Like 1

Add me as well, I have these...

1973 B-24J Liberator

1963 Halifax

1980 Beagle Basset

1980 Cherokee Arrow

1972 SAM-2 Guideline

I am currently working on a 1963 C-47 over in the radial engines GB as well.

Edited by Romeo Alpha Yankee
Corrected SAM-2 entry
  • Like 3

5 minutes ago, Romeo Alpha Yankee said:

Add me as well, I have these...

1973 B-24J Liberator

1963 Halifax

1980 Beagle Basset

1980 Cherokee Arrow

???? SA-2 Guideline

I am currently working on a 1963 C-47 over in the radial engines GB as well.

Ray, 

If your SA-2 is one of these https://www.scalemates.com/kits/158426-airfix-03303-5-sam-2-missile then it looks as if it may have first appeared back in 1972. 

I also believe it's probably one of the rarest Airfix kits out there, so you may want to hold on to it for a while in order to top up your Pension! (all in good time of course). 

Cheers.. Dave. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Rabbit Leader said:

Ray, 

If your SA-2 is one of these https://www.scalemates.com/kits/158426-airfix-03303-5-sam-2-missile then it looks as if it may have first appeared back in 1972. 

I also believe it's probably one of the rarest Airfix kits out there, so you may want to hold on to it for a while in order to top up your Pension! (all in good time of course). 

Cheers.. Dave. 

It certainly is Dave, I built one as a wee tacker not long after it came out.  I had a look on Scalemates but could not find a listing, just realised I was looking for SA-2, not SAM-2

I figured models are to be built. I do have a large list there in my post so I may not get around to it.

As I recall I got it for around $5 a couple of years ago. :penguin:

• Like 1