Airfix, The Golden Years Group Build. Classic Airfix 1950's- 1980 Chat

On 5/14/2018 at 10:20 PM, Ventora3300 said:

Extract - Ted Rogers would regularly make a lightning fast 3–2–1 hand gesture. This became an important gimmick of the show – and a school playground favourite – mainly because, it was quite difficult to do, and resulted in a rude hand gesture if performed incorrectly. The correct way of doing the gesture is to hold up three fingers (index, middle, and ring) on the right hand, facing inward; two (index and middle) facing outward; and then one (index) facing inward, turning the wrist while changing the fingers.......

Takes me back to my student days. We had a lecturer called Ted Rogers. You can imagine what happened - half the class thought they were hilarious (and soooo original, as if nobody had ever made the connection before), sitting there doing the 3-2-1 hand gesture (badly). Ted didn’t seem to mind though. I expect it must have happened the first two weeks of every first year class.

back to the group build - really looking forward to getting into it but I’m not going to be able to start until late July. I’ll be itching to start by then. I think I’ll start with the Caravelle then move on to the Skyvan. I have a Belvedere to do as well but that will need some work - might save it for the 60s NATO vs Warpac GB.

• Like 2

TICK... TICK... TICK...

2+weeks+blog.jpg

...with just two weeks to go I'm so excited my head might explode :lol:

There are bonus points if you can name the film :winkgrin:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

mmm.... Something tells me with members/hosts like this, the Classic Airfix GB might become a strange place to visit whilst it’s running. Looks like I’ll fit in then!! 

Fingers crossed I’ll find a Beaver or Skyvan (or something unique to Airfix) at our local swap meet tomorrow. I need something a little left field to keep me enthused for a while. 

Cheers.. Dave 

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, MarkSH said:

Total recall 

...and the winner is...

MARK - Well spotted that man - GREAT MOVIE

• Like 2

Excellent Arnie movie, I think it was based on yet another Phillip K Dick short story ‘We can remember it for you wholesale’

Much better than the Colin Farrell remake mainly because it had a young Sharon Stone in it!

• Like 3

Not much 'old' Airfix in the stash, maybe the 1/72nd F2-H Banshee (1980) or HMS Victorious (1959).

However Airfix did re-release their 1/32nd Crusader III tank from 1975 a couple years ago and I picked one up cheap a few months ago. Have always liked the Crusader and never built a large scale AFV before so might be a good one to go with over the summer. Have seen several excellent builds here so feeling motivated!

Michael

Edited by Ghostbase
Addition
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Ghostbase said:

Have always liked the Crusader and never built a large scale AFV before so might be a good one to go with over the summer.

Michael

GO FOR IT :clap2:

• Like 2

Not long to go now folks. Getting excited. And nervous. 

The thought of building something old and big scares the daylights out of me. 

Going to give it a good bash and see what happens. 

• Like 3

Ok - I’m in, well I was always in but just needed a build to keep my easily distracted mind focused. I’ve managed to land my hands on a Beaver and am working on a bold scheme to build this in... cause everyone loves a bold Beaver don’t they? Actually - that doesn’t quite sound right, does it! 

Cheers.. Dave

• Haha 5

Hi Ventora & Lawzer

Could I please check the eligibility of some models for the Group Build

1) 03176-5 DC-9-30 (1973 boxing)

This is obviously within the pre-1981 time frame BUT I've assembled the fuselage and main wing halves (though the latter are not attached).  Certainly more than 25% of the plastic but the way I work less than 25% of the time needed!

20180522_153901

2) A05171 Boeing 707-436 (2015 boxing)

Looking at the Scalemates website this just contains new decals but the moulds go back far enough

20180522_153709

3) A04177A Boeing 727-233

This is a 2014 boxing with new decals.  I'm not sure which version of the 727 the original boxing (1966) represented and may be eliminating this one by admitting that the first boxing with 727-200 in the title is from 1983

20180522_153808

Thanks

Mike

• Like 3

Hi @FortyEighter

at 1/144 you've put together what 6 parts on the dc-9?  It would be different if it were a 1/24 stuka where the majority of the work would be in the cockpit but I'd say it's in.

the 707 is a bit of a strange one.  "New parts" in '81 for a snap and glue kit and from then on no changes apart from decals.  Will need to get back to you on that one but provisionally yes....

the 727- i am in no way up on airliners but i believe the kit upto the 1983 boxing was for a -100 and the -200 is some 20 feet longer so i guess new moulds in '83 so sadly no.

i stand to be corrected..... 👍

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Lawzer said:

Hi @FortyEighter

at 1/144 you've put together what 6 parts on the dc-9?  It would be different if it were a 1/24 stuka where the majority of the work would be in the cockpit but I'd say it's in.

the 707 is a bit of a strange one.  "New parts" in '81 for a snap and glue kit and from then on no changes apart from decals.  Will need to get back to you on that one but provisionally yes....

the 727- i am in no way up on airliners but i believe the kit upto the 1983 boxing was for a -100 and the -200 is some 20 feet longer so i guess new moulds in '83 so sadly no.

i stand to be corrected..... 👍

Thanks Lawzer

I thought the 727 might be ruled out but that won't stop me doing it in a WIP thread during the Group Build time frame, especially as it will be the only 727 ever to have carried my intended livery.

You've echoed my thoughts on the 707 as the only boxing with "new parts" on the Scalemates website was the snap-together version.  Looking more closely at the various boxings, the earliest boxing was in BOAC livery and enough of the registration can be seen to identify it as a 707-436 (G-APFx).

The DC-9 will be a KLM model but with more modern decals.

Cheers

Mike

• Like 3

19 hours ago, FortyEighter said:

1) 03176-5 DC-9-30 (1973 boxing)

This is obviously within the pre-1981 time frame BUT I've assembled the fuselage and main wing halves (though the latter are not attached).  Certainly more than 25% of the plastic but the way I work less than 25% of the time needed!

15 hours ago, Lawzer said:

Hi @FortyEighter

FortyEighter,

You'll have to do the parts count yourself on this one - it looks like the 'Airfix Tribute Forum' where usually anyone can see the Instructions sheets is unavailable at the moment.

The '25% Rule' for all GB's is meant to give the chance for all to enjoy sharing the 'work in progress' on the kit from a standing start rather than it is just 'ready for inspection'. It looks like you may have up to 11 pieces glued together (all doors on and bulkhead inside?) and another 28 pieces in the box, not counting clear pieces for the windows (are they actually in or have they been lost?). So it's a close call.

Mike

Edited by Ventora3300
  • Like 2
  • Sad 1

19 hours ago, FortyEighter said:

2) A05171 Boeing 707-436 (2015 boxing)

Looking at the Scalemates website this just contains new decals but the moulds go back far enough

20180522_153709

15 hours ago, Lawzer said:

2 hours ago, FortyEighter said:

You've echoed my thoughts on the 707 as the only boxing with "new parts" on the Scalemates website was the snap-together version.  Looking more closely at the various boxings, the earliest boxing was in BOAC livery and enough of the registration can be seen to identify it as a 707-436 (G-APFx)

FortyEighter,

I found this interesting post on 'Airliner Cafe':

Post #56854, posted on 02-21-2015 GMT-5 hours    

Quote7274ever :

My opinion of the Airfix 707-400 is that the nose and fuselage is nice (it has the crease line) but the wings are just a little too thick. They actually reproduced the horizontal stabilizer fuselage fairings fairly well too. The worst part is the engines - too short and inlets too thick, and not tapered enough. Of course, the Conway daisy petal exhausts could have been a bit more detailed (the ones in the kit almost resemble gears!)

If they were to re-tool it, those are the areas that I would hope they fixed. But as mentioned above, it does not seem likely that it will happen.

Also, were the molds permanently modified to make the "snap kit" version? I have one of those.

Yes, they were. Steel tooling _cannot_ be impermanently modified, and there is only a single set of Airfix 707 tooling.

In this case, the modifications were minor (engines only, if I remember correctly) and merely enabled .......could push-fit the kit into a model.

So, you may have the 'new parts' after all in the 2015 boxing but it seems the changes may be a minor detail connected with how the engine pieces fix together rather than a change to their shape. Lovely aircraft to build, though.

Mike

• Like 3

Oh yes! I wouldn't mind joining in. I have a Piper Cherokee Arrow in a blisterpack that's talking to me (and a similarly packaged Storch)

Steve

• Like 3

On ‎22‎/‎05‎/‎2018 at 16:22, FortyEighter said:

3) A04177A Boeing 727-233

This is a 2014 boxing with new decals.  I'm not sure which version of the 727 the original boxing (1966) represented and may be eliminating this one by admitting that the first boxing with 727-200 in the title is from 1983

20180522_153808

Thanks

Mike

19 hours ago, Lawzer said:

7 hours ago, FortyEighter said:

I thought the 727 might be ruled out but that won't stop me doing it in a WIP thread during the Group Build time frame, especially as it will be the only 727 ever to have carried my intended livery.

Yes, Scalemates shows 'New Parts' in 1983 for this kit (and gives the decal option as 727-200 whereas the kits before were for 727-100 or -03/-031) so it looks like this is not fully the pre-1980 kit. Oh well, it'll be a pleasure to see it completed anyway - it's all in the paint job and decals at that scale. Best of luck.

Mike 

• Like 3

On 23/05/2018 at 12:34, fightersweep said:

Oh yes! I wouldn't mind joining in. I have a Piper Cherokee Arrow in a blisterpack that's talking to me (and a similarly packaged Storch)

Steve

Welcome aboard, fightersweep. The Storch is a lovely kit to build - and so delicate when finished. Don't dust that one, Mum.....!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Thanks Ventora!

I must admit that I've never actually built the Storch. I did buy one, aged 11 from the shop at the Historic Aircraft Museum that used to be next to Southend Airport. There was a Storch displayed there in Rommel's markings and it captured my imagination enough to buy the kit there and then. Trouble was, I found it all a bit fiddly at the time and it didn't get finished. I think that the transparencies defeated me along with the undercart struts. Time for another go!

Steve

• Like 3

Hi Ventora

Thanks for your three detailed responses - to save space I've not "quoted" them.

My query re the DC-9 was based on previous aircraft group builds where the 25% rule has usually allowed the fuselage to be complete (and sometimes for the wings to be attached too).

However, based on the total number of parts in the kit (58) I've got to a bit over 25% - the fuselage comprises 15 parts (as there are 8 glazing strips) and the wings are another 4 (though not yet attached to fuselage).  Will understand if you think this is too far gone to be included.

In the case of the 707-436 I'm not sure if you are saying OK to this one based on some minor modifications to the engines in this boxing.

As I replied to Lawzer, the 727-236 will definitely get built but in its own WIP.

Regards

Mike

• Like 3

2 hours ago, FortyEighter said:

Hi Ventora

Thanks for your three detailed responses - to save space I've not "quoted" them.

My query re the DC-9 was based on previous aircraft group builds where the 25% rule has usually allowed the fuselage to be complete (and sometimes for the wings to be attached too).

However, based on the total number of parts in the kit (58) I've got to a bit over 25% - the fuselage comprises 15 parts (as there are 8 glazing strips) and the wings are another 4 (though not yet attached to fuselage).  Will understand if you think this is too far gone to be included.

In the case of the 707-436 I'm not sure if you are saying OK to this one based on some minor modifications to the engines in this boxing.

As I replied to Lawzer, the 727-236 will definitely get built but in its own WIP.

Regards

Mike

Yes, the DC 9 is a bit too far on but just finish it anyway like the 727 - the more Airfix kits built, the better.

On the Boeing 707, I think it should be in if there are no different parts for the engines, just the way they pop together. You would be free to use resin or PE parts on the engines anyway so not worth putting ourselves on the rack about it. I agree with Lawzer that it should be in. Happy building!

• Like 2

Still can't decide what to do but we have the Northern show next week so I have the feeling something will jump out,I'll either do a couple of

smaller item's or maybe a biggish item,Stirling or even the Lancaster although I think the tooling was replaced at some point a Superfortress

at the right price would be a dead cert.

• Like 3

Been looking at my Chieftain last night. 

The basic kit is pretty solid (it builds an early mk2 out of the box, which is fine as I have several later versions).

The main issues are the wheels (some very strange stepped centres to them) and the tracks (horrible, greasy black vinyl).

I have a wee friends white metal replacement running gear set which I would like to use.

If I do so, does this still fit within the rules for the group build?

All the best

Ben

• Like 3

one-week_J.jpg

...so nearly time to clear the bench / put a new liner in the spray booth / check stock on relevant paints / pop a new scalpel blade in...

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1