Airfix, The Golden Years Group Build. Classic Airfix 1950's- 1980 Chat

I'm busy killing time until this GB starts - just 8 weeks to go tomorrow - the excitement is killing me...

So I'm building some Universal carriers over in the AFV section...

...they aren't vintage Airfix - but I'm hoping to get them in - as 'set dressing' for 2 of the builds I have planned.

ANYWAY - whilst trawling the internet today I found a couple of carrier shots that 'add credance' to my plan and so I  give you...

The Airfix windmill...

UTC143.jpg

and with a carrier...

UTC144.jpg

and then the Airfix pontoon bridge...

UTC141.jpg

...and a carrier crossing...

UTC142.jpg

...can you tell I'm a bit excited by all this :D 

• Like 6

14 hours ago, Crossiant Oliver said:

I have so many models in the stash- what's a good vintage Airifx kit I can finish in a couple days with some effort put into it?

How about one of the 1/72 single engine monoplanes? Be good to see a Boomerang or a Fiat G.50?

• Like 2

On 06/04/2018 at 20:17, BIG X said:

I'm busy killing time until this GB starts - just 8 weeks to go tomorrow -

...can you tell I'm a bit excited by all this :D 

Great to see you're keeping your hand in while we wait for this GB to start. Will we also get 'weathering' on the windmill and bridge as well as the Carriers? Maybe the church could re-locate to Southern England and some Carriers drive past on the build-up to D-Day??

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Ventora3300 said:

How about one of the 1/72 single engine monoplanes? Be good to see a Boomerang or a Fiat G.50?

I think I’ll go with a Late Pacific War USN single engine. Easy to paint, straightforward contsruction. Which do you recommend?

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Crossiant Oliver said:

I think I’ll go with a Late Pacific War USN single engine. Easy to paint, straightforward contsruction. Which do you recommend?

Got to be the F4U Corsair, then. Looks like there has been only one tooling for this but plenty of different boxings and decal options. Maybe I have not been looking enough but it seems rare to see one of these built in 1/72. Great wing shape, though, and that big radial and prop at the front.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, badger said:

I love how the free kit is worth at least 55p!! 

...those were the days eh...

...JUST HAD A THOUGHT - for our overseas friends - John Noakes was a children's TV presenter and all round 'dare devil' - what a guy...

Blue+Peter+Books+(9).jpg

Get down Shep :lol:

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

On 22/04/2018 at 12:43 PM, MarkSH said:

My favourite was the one with the Baby Elephant and the keeper going a pearler! with Noakes laughing all the while :lol:

Along with the rest of the nation :lol: 

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

I have a 1986 boxing of a B-26B which I believe is eligible, can someone confirm? I have partly started it but its well below 25%, hopefully this GB will force me to get it done.

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, Blitz23 said:

I have a 1986 boxing of a B-26B which I believe is eligible, can someone confirm? I have partly started it but its well below 25%, hopefully this GB will force me to get it done.

A quick look shows the original tooling goes back to 1973...

https://www.scalemates.com/kits/128713-airfix-04015-martin-b26-c-marauder

...so I think your in - but best wait for @Lawzer or @Ventora3300 to give the OK

• Like 3

50 minutes ago, Blitz23 said:

Looks fine to me - one of those mouldings that goes on and on. The Marauder always lives up to its name!!! Go for it!

• Like 3

2 hours ago, BIG X said:

A quick look shows the original tooling goes back to 1973...

https://www.scalemates.com/kits/128713-airfix-04015-martin-b26-c-marauder

...so I think your in - but best wait for @Lawzer or @Ventora3300 to give the OK

1 hour ago, Ventora3300 said:

Looks fine to me - one of those mouldings that goes on and on. The Marauder always lives up to its name!!! Go for it!

Cheers guys I thought it may have been, just wanted to double check.  Not sure which aircraft I'll finish it as but what I do know is it'll need aftermarket decals as kit ones are missing.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, BIG X said:

5 weeks to go until we can all dress more appropriately for model making...

5_WEEKS.jpg

27 minutes ago, Mjwomack said:

I shall dress accordingly for one photo

I don't think even my Dad wore a tie for modelling. However, BigX's picture captures the mood of the times - Dad home from work in the 60's/70's/80's and  living the dream with No.1 son in getting on with some modelling - absolutely idyllic! I seem to remember the reality was I cracked on with getting a model finished and he didn't get a look in! 10 year olds know best!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, BIG X said:

5 weeks to go until we can all dress more appropriately for model making...

Haha - we should all have a starting photo dressed like that with our kits!!

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

19 hours ago, badger said:

Haha - we should all have a starting photo dressed like that with our kits!!

Now THAT would make this gb stand out...... 😁

• Thanks 1

I may have missed it, but in the rules for this GB, can it be a modern tie?

I think it should because it'll be a small proportion of my total clothes for the build: no,really it will, promise

Just I'm worried that given how much charity charge for retro ties i won't be able to afford to enter!

• Haha 1

I may do this GB 'stripped to the waist'.

I will of course be wearing 'shirt and tie' and maybe a waistcoat for good measure...

...just don't look under the bench and everything will be OK :lol: