Airfix, The Golden Years Group Build. Classic Airfix 1950's- 1980 Chat

7 minutes ago, Antb said:

Haven't visited the forum for some time but managed to get my vote in! Great to see we're a go guys. 

The next build for me me will be this one in June, looking forward to tackling the spit. 

Hey Ant - I've got one too. :D Well I say that - I had two actually :mental:I built one and I'm left with all the 'worst' bits after picking out the most useable stuff from each box. :doh: But I have a 'cunning plan' for the dross that remains - roll on June eh ;)

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, BIG X said:

Hey Ant - I've got one too. :D Well I say that - I had two actually :mental:I built one and I'm left with all the 'worst' bits after picking out the most useable stuff from each box. :doh: But I have a 'cunning plan' for the dross that remains - roll on June eh ;)

Now this has got to be worth looking forward to. No pressure mate 😂

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Antb said:

Haven't visited the forum for some time but managed to get my vote in! Great to see we're a go guys. 

The next build for me me will be this one in June, looking forward to tackling the spit. 

Yes, looking forward to it. Are you planning to do a JE-J or a Mk.V? Or even a 'BT-K?

Edited by Ventora3300
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, BIG X said:

That sounds interesting!!

• Thanks 1

17 hours ago, Ventora3300 said:

Yes, looking forward to it. Are you planning to do a JE-J or a Mk.V? Or even a 'BT-K?

No vb for me. Going for V-S a malta based grey/ azure blue spit for something a little different. 

Got some aftermarket ready to pimp her up a bit too. 

Just hope I can make a decent job of it 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Antb said:

No vb for me. Going for V-S a malta based grey/ azure blue spit for something a little different. 

Got some aftermarket ready to pimp her up a bit too. 

Just hope I can make a decent job of it 

Just read a fascinating article on them:

“Either, sir, we get the Spitfires here within days, not weeks, or we’re done. That’s it.”
Sqn/Ldr Stan Turner to AOC Sir Hugh Lloyd about the situation on Malta

Edited by Ventora3300
  • Like 1

On 11/12/2017 at 15:06, Ventora3300 said:

Just read a fascinating article on them:

“Either, sir, we get the Spitfires here within days, not weeks, or we’re done. That’s it.”
Sqn/Ldr Stan Turner to AOC Sir Hugh Lloyd about the situation on Malta

Great quote, thanks for sharing. 

No idea where the spitfire will live once built but I will cross that bridge when it comes to it..... 

heres a link to the spit im planning if it's of interest to you: https://goo.gl/images/x4kJAF

• Like 4

• 3 weeks later...
On 08/09/2017 at 10:15 PM, old thumper said:

Just kits that were available up to and including 1980,  it doesn't matter what year the boxing is.

There are a number of kits still in production that would be eligible, plus a lot of others that were recently deleted.

Good question though, I shall amend the original post.

I've just counted 16 eligible kits in my stash - I'm in.

88mm flak gun,

Leopard tank,

Auster,

Anson,

Basset,

Buccaneer S1,

Bofors gun,

2 * Chipmunks,

Dauntless,

Fiat G91,

Avenger,

Hampden,

F-15 Eagle,

Me109G, the ancient one,

Angel Interceptor.

Some interesting edge cases that I've excluded from my considerations:

1980 Lancaster, mine is a Dambuster with new parts first released in 1993.

Spitfire BTK released 2003. Originates from Spitfire I first released in 1978.

Tornado,  Only released as an MRCA during 1970s. First released as Tornado GR1 in 1983.

• Like 3

On ‎02‎/‎01‎/‎2018 at 11:06, bull-nut said:

I'll join in this one if I may. I have a 2016 boxing of the venerable Spitfire Vb that needs building, along with this little beauty.

OK bull-nut, welcome aboard. Lawzer and I will get a thread going shortly to pull everyone together for this GB - allocated spot this year is 2nd June to 22nd September. (BTW, when I click on the link for 'this little beauty', it takes me back to the BM Home page - what other kit is it that you have in mind?)

Edited by Ventora3300
  • Like 2

On ‎02‎/‎01‎/‎2018 at 12:20, theplasticsurgeon said:

I've just counted 16 eligible kits in my stash - I'm in.

88mm flak gun,

Leopard tank,

Auster,

Anson,

Basset,

Buccaneer S1,

Bofors gun,

2 * Chipmunks,

Dauntless,

Fiat G91,

Avenger,

Hampden,

F-15 Eagle,

Me109G, the ancient one,

Angel Interceptor.

Some interesting edge cases that I've excluded from my considerations:

1980 Lancaster, mine is a Dambuster with new parts first released in 1993.

Spitfire BTK released 2003. Originates from Spitfire I first released in 1978.

Tornado,  Only released as an MRCA during 1970s. First released as Tornado GR1 in 1983.

You've got a big choice of kits there - best of luck with which one(s) you pick! GB slot is 2nd June to 22nd September but Lawzer and I will do the preparatory work to get a dedicated area and threads all set up. See you there!

Edited by Ventora3300
  • Like 2

Just as a reminder, this Group Build has been given the slot 2nd June 2018 to 22nd September 2018.

Here is the List of interested participants so far...(updated 19/2/18)

2) Ventora3300  3) Rob G 4) Arniec 5) theplasticsurgeon 6) Malpaso 7) Stevehnz 8) Caerbannog 9) CliffB 10) Zebra

11) Big X 12) Lawzer 13) Greg Destec  14) Adrianmf 15) Antb 16) Paul J 17) Avreda 18) Nigel Heath 19) Rafalbert 20) Jb65rams

21) 825 22) Rick Brown 23) Grandboof 24) Plasto 25) Ray S 26) PLC1966 27) Tonytiger66 28) Rabbit Leader 29) Romeo Alpha Yankee 30) Mad_djg

31) Moggy 32) Tony W 33) PhantomBigStu 34) 1903Flight 35) Threadbear 36) Ozzy 37) Martian Hale 38) Colonel Wreck 39) Bonhoff 40) Croissiant Oliver

41) Stevej60  42) MarkSH 43) vppelt68 44) DAG058 45) bull-nut 46) heloman1 47) Enzo Matrix 48) Paul B 49) jean 50) nimrod54

51)maltadefender 52) Ratch 53) Sabre_days 54) Strangeways

The specific 'Rules' for this GB:

What's allowed?

1) Any kit included in any Airfix catalogue up to and including the 1980 catalogue. 

2) For aircraft, All after market parts and decals with the exception of wings and fuselages.

3) Airfix kits first released no later than 1980 but in modern day boxings.

4) Updated versions of pre-1981 kits. Airfix occasionally added extra sprues of parts to update it's pre 1981 kits. All such parts with the exception of wings and fuselages are permitted.

5) For builds other than aircraft please use discretion and common sense when considering the use of aftermarket parts. For example aftermarket tracks, wheels or decking would be acceptable for a vehicle or ship while a aftermarket turret, hull or car body would not. The rule of thumb is that the bare bones or carcass of the model needs to be pre-1981 Airfix, whatever flesh is added to the bones is the choice of the builder.

Notes.

We believe or suspect that Airfix adopted a number of larger armour and other vehicle kits  from extinct manufacturers. If these kits were present in the pre-1981 Airfix range then they are considered acceptable. This is largely to avoid any arguments over pedigree or dna.

Other guidance can be found in the link below:

Lawzer and I are co-hosting this GB and we will be looking at the following in preparation:

Will we have a vote? Issue prizes on the results of the vote? Hold a raffle?

All polls and voting must be done using the forum's built in voting facilities.

Remind all members that have builds in a poll that canvassing/trolling for votes either on BM or other forums is not allowed.

All Group Builds will have a 'Gallery' of finished builds which will be a pinned thread. To prevent the gallery thread getting too big and therefore loading slowly, it is recommended that a limit of five pictures for each entry is set.

All Group Builds must have a pinned rules thread and a pinned chat thread. These will be set up by the GB mod - add the rules to the relevant thread and then lock it.

There will be no For Sale, Wanted or Swap threads in the GB forum because this will allow unscrupulous people to breach the 100 post rule. Members can post in the For Sale/Wanted Forums and post a link in their build thread and or GB Chat.

At the start of any GB remind all entrants that GB banners included in signatures must conform to the signatures rules.

Looking forward to it - please keep the posts coming!

Edited by Ventora3300
  • Like 3

Finally decided on the F-80C, and possibly the F-86D if I have time (or even alongside if I am feeling brave). Seriously looking forward to this.

Edited by rafalbert
  • Like 3

27 minutes ago, rafalbert said:

Finally decided on the F-80C, and possibly the F-86D if I have time (or even alongside if I am feeling brave). Seriously looking forward to this.

Me too! Good luck!

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, heloman1 said:

Hi Guys, if it's not too late, I'd like to swell the ranks, looks like a fun BG. I think I've the Ford Tri-motor in the stash...

Colin

The more the merrier I say!

Welcome on board!

• Like 2

A very cursory glance at The Stash shows I have these:

1/72  B-26 Marauder

1/72  Mosquito

1/72  Halifax B.III

1/72  Meteor III

1/72  Hannover CL.IIIA

1/76  88mm Flak Gun

1/76  PAK40 Anti-tank gun

1/76  AEC Matador

1/76  M551 Sheridan

1/76  Bloodhound

1/32  Bengal Lancer

1/32  Polish Lancer

1/32  Coldstream Guardsman

I'm tending towards the B-26 with maybe one of the 1/32 figures thrown in for good luck.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Enzo Matrix said:

A very cursory glance at The Stash shows I have these:

1/72  B-26 Marauder

1/72  Mosquito

1/72  Halifax B.III

1/72  Meteor III

1/72  Hannover CL.IIIA

1/76  88mm Flak Gun

1/76  PAK40 Anti-tank gun

1/76  AEC Matador

1/76  M551 Sheridan

1/76  Bloodhound

1/32  Bengal Lancer

1/32  Polish Lancer

1/32  Coldstream Guardsman

I'm tending towards the B-26 with maybe one of the 1/32 figures thrown in for good luck.

Fantastic - wide range of choice here and that seemed to be a feature of early Airfix.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, AdrianMF said:

Ooh, just seen this. I have a 1965 Mitchell that needs building. It's complete but I bought it in a bag, which avoids awkward questions about which boxing it is ;)

Regards,

Adrian

Adrian,

That sounds ideal - one of my favourites from my boyhood (a few years ago) since it had lots of working bits and you got more machine guns to the foot than most models - the rules say that boxing doesn't matter. Looking at the Airfix forum, the only update to this kit was last year so the kit you have must qualify.

Cheers,

Mike

• Like 3

For all the modellers who are interested in participating in this GB, perhaps this link I found to an on-line version of the Airfix 1980 Catalogue will help in checking the kits they wish to build are 'in scope'. Have fun!

http://www.vintage-airfix.com/1980_catalogue_list.php?page=1

Does anyone have a paper copy of the Airfix 1980 Catalogue?

• Like 1

Hi, I would like to sign up for this GB.

I have not yet decided which kit to go for. 

1 hour ago, Ventora3300 said:

For all the modellers who are interested in participating in this GB, perhaps this link I found to an on-line version of the Airfix 1980 Catalogue will help in checking the kits they wish to build are 'in scope'. Have fun!

http://www.vintage-airfix.com/1980_catalogue_list.php?page=1

Does anyone have a paper copy of the Airfix 1980 Catalogue?

Ventora3300 is it also ok to use the scalemates.com database as a guide as well?

- and thanks for the invite!!

• Like 3