Jump to content
This site uses cookies! Learn More

This site uses cookies!

You can find a list of those cookies here: mysite.com/cookies

By continuing to use this site, you agree to allow us to store cookies on your computer. :)

old thumper

Airfix, The Golden Years Group Build. Classic Airfix 1950's- 1980 Chat

Recommended Posts

6 hours ago, Avereda said:

Could be an opportunity to break open the Maxi

 

171555-12155-540

 

I remember my brother building one of those over 40 years ago.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, old thumper said:

 We need 30. We are up to 18 so far, which I think is pretty good given the short time this topic has been open.

I think 'mixed bag' group builds always look fun - you may not be able to turn out the best Spitfire or whatever - BUT - I'm hoping for the best pontoon bridge - as the chances are it will be the only pontoon bridge.  Does a Maxi trump a pontoon though :lol:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, BIG X said:

I think 'mixed bag' group builds always look fun - you may not be able to turn out the best Spitfire or whatever - BUT - I'm hoping for the best pontoon bridge - as the chances are it will be the only pontoon bridge.  Does a Maxi trump a pontoon though :lol:

 

I don't think we will see any more Austin Maxi models. The pontoon bridge would look great in a diarama.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'd love this GB to get up - so much that I've found two kits to build (Belvedere and Skyvan)! Fingers crossed for 12 more so we can get in the vote.

 

@Avereda I'd love to see the Maxi built. I didn't realise it had ever been kitted. You'll be telling me they did a Marina and an Allegro next...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, zebra said:

I'd love this GB to get up - so much that I've found two kits to build (Belvedere and Skyvan)! Fingers crossed for 12 more so we can get in the vote.

 

@Avereda I'd love to see the Maxi built. I didn't realise it had ever been kitted. You'll be telling me they did a Marina and an Allegro next...

They did do a Marina but never the "All aggro"!:smile:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎08‎/‎09‎/‎2017 at 12:48, old thumper said:

The use of after market parts and decals is permitted. 

 

2 hours ago, old thumper said:

 

I don't think we will see any more Austin Maxi models. The pontoon bridge would look great in a diarama.  

 

Speaking of 'after market' parts for a possible diorama - I was planning on adding this 'after market' piece of resin - it weighs about 5kg...

 

bridge.jpg

 

I have been wondering what to do with this - other than using it as a doorstop...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, BIG X said:

 

 

Speaking of 'after market' parts for a possible diorama - I was planning on adding this 'after market' piece of resin - it weighs about 5kg...

 

bridge.jpg

 

I have been wondering what to do with this - other than using it as a doorstop...

 

I can see what your thinking, a Bailey bridge next to a blown up bridge?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, old thumper said:

 

I can see what your thinking, a Bailey bridge next to a blown up bridge?

Sshhh - it's supposed to be a secret ;)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, zebra said:

 

@Avereda I'd love to see the Maxi built. I didn't realise it had ever been kitted. You'll be telling me they did a Marina and an Allegro next...

The kit was an odd find, my father-in-law must have picked it up at a car boot sale intending to pass it on to my son but I think he'd forgotten about it. Some time after he died my mother-in-law asked me to look through some of his stuff to see if there was anything I wanted - mainly cheap tools and car mechanic tat. In one box however I found the Maxi and the old RAF refuelling set - the refuelling set's already been started. Happily I'd started modelling again otherwise both kits would have been binned.

In addition an old mate of mine use to drive me around in a lovely copper coloured Maxi, so I might go for bust and go for a proper copper metallic finish.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This is shaping up to be a fun project! :)

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Avereda said:

The kit was an odd find, my father-in-law must have picked it up at a car boot sale intending to pass it on to my son but I think he'd forgotten about it. Some time after he died my mother-in-law asked me to look through some of his stuff to see if there was anything I wanted - mainly cheap tools and car mechanic tat. In one box however I found the Maxi and the old RAF refuelling set - the refuelling set's already been started. Happily I'd started modelling again otherwise both kits would have been binned.

In addition an old mate of mine use to drive me around in a lovely copper coloured Maxi, so I might go for bust and go for a proper copper metallic finish.

That copper finish sounds brilliant.

1 hour ago, Lawzer said:

This is shaping up to be a fun project! :)

 

Fun is what we do :D

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Copper finish? I thought cars in that era only came in various shades of brown.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, zebra said:

Copper finish? I thought cars in that era only came in various shades of brown.

 

My Dad's Austin Princess had that same copper finish, and I think a black vinyl covered roof.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, old thumper said:

black vinyl covered roof

I'd forgotten about these - I always thought they must have served some purpose, but I think it was just aesthetic. I have a vague memory of asking my Dad why some cars had them and being told it was something to do with cooling the car down, which would obviously have been nonsense! 

 

Back to the GB - surely someone out there must have an Airfix Henry VIII or a bird or dinosaur they want to build?

 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Count me in! It will take me all the time available to decide which kit to build from the stash!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, zebra said:

I'd forgotten about these - I always thought they must have served some purpose, but I think it was just aesthetic. I have a vague memory of asking my Dad why some cars had them and being told it was something to do with cooling the car down, which would obviously have been nonsense! 

 

Back to the GB - surely someone out there must have an Airfix Henry VIII or a bird or dinosaur they want to build?

 

 

 

 

 Airfix also did a range of toys including building bricks, slot cars, flight deck and even a fishing rod. My brother and I had all of those between us, the slot cars (scalectrix) were bought second hand as a Christmas present, my brother was made up with them, how many kids would want a second hand Christmas present these days.

Edited by old thumper

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, zebra said:

 

Back to the GB - surely someone out there must have an Airfix Henry VIII or a bird or dinosaur they want to build?

 

 

 

 

I've been trying to pick up the Oliver Cromwell kit for about 18 months without success, mainly due to tightfistedness.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Avereda said:

I've been trying to pick up the Oliver Cromwell kit for about 18 months without success, mainly due to tightfistedness.

 

I hear that (i'm not meaning you're tightfisted - just the price old airfix kits are!!!).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I am up for this one. Nothing in the stash but will be looking for a Meteor III. This was introduction into this hobby, built with my Dad in the 70s.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Avereda said:

I've been trying to pick up the Oliver Cromwell kit for about 18 months without success, mainly due to tightfistedness.

I've been looking for a few old Airfix kits for a while, most of the time the prices are way beyond what I'd consider paying. Did recently find a Belvedere at a good price and a Skyvan at a less good but just about acceptable price though. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, zebra said:

Copper finish? I thought cars in that era only came in various shades of brown.

Waaaaaay back in the day my mate's dad woked for the local bus corporation (as they were called back then) so they had a whole range of cars painted in "corpy" brown and green (no doubt paint liberated from said corpy). 😂

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Jeez, I have so many in the stash I can't help but get involved with this one!

Anybody got any old scalextric car bits they don't want?

I have a plan.......

Count me in!

Rick.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

 

 

Our Airfix The Golden Years group build has now received 20 nominations. We now only need another ten nominations to enter into the ballot.

 

 

1) Old Thumper

2) Ventora3300  

3) Rob G

4) Arniec

5) Theplasicsurgeon

6) Malpaso

7) Stevehnz

8) Caerbannog

9) CliffB

10) Zebra

11) Big X

12) Lawzer

13) Greg Destec 

14) Adrianmf

15) Antb

16) Paul J

17) Avreda

18) Nigel Heath

19) Rafalbert

20) Jb65rams

21) 825

22) Rick Brown

23) Grandboof

24) Plasto

 

Edited by old thumper

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 22/09/2017 at 2:30 AM, old thumper said:

I remember my brother building one of those over 40 years ago.

I didn't realise Airfix did one of these   Great looking kit, but I recall it wasn't a great car though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...