Airfix, The Golden Years Group Build. Classic Airfix 1950's- 1980 Chat

I can't wait for this GB to start - I've not done a GB before :blush:

I already have my very inaccurate Pontoon Bridge lined up - but I wanted to add some extra flavour - so I've got this...

churchH2.jpg

Scalemates dates the original tool back to 1958 https://www.scalemates.com/kits/182160-airfix-4015-village-church so I guess it qualifies.

• Like 5

I’m starting to get a bit ‘Classic Airfix’ focused as well and like the recent Matchbox GB, has me know trolling eBay for more suitable subjects (which is crazy as I’ll only complete two at best and I think I’ve got those squared away). 

Now I’ve just been notified that a sealed kit from 1981 has just been posted from the shivering UK to my balmy abode in Brisbane and I intend to only unwrap it once I kick off my contribution to this GB. I would have been 11 back in 1981 and somehow feel that the enthusiasm I would have received back then will still be replicated when I unbox this kit later on!! 

My good wife knows that it doesn’t take too much to excite the young at heart Rabbit Leader, however he can be easily disappointed if theres no rattling box to unwrap for Christmas & Birthdays!! 

Cheers and roll on June.. Dave 

• Like 5

2 hours ago, BIG X said:

I already have my very inaccurate Pontoon Bridge lined up - but I wanted to add some extra flavour - so I've got this...

That's very different and an excellent choice.  I wonder where things will go when you research just the right colour for the roof tiles......best of luck!

Edited by Ventora3300
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, vppelt68 said:

Luckily I got the FW 189 kit. I fondled the Ju 88 "A-4" (not!) sprues I have in scrap/spares box and just wondered how such a :poop:can still be marketed. No deal. V-P

Wot?.....but I've just picked up that new magazine on the Ju88 and was feeling the urge to break out the original Airfix kit!

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Ventora3300 said:

That's very different and an excellent choice.  I wonder where things will go when you research just the right colour for the roof tiles......best of luck!

Oh - it's a real church...

old-st-boniface-church.jpg

St Boniface Old Church, Bonchurch - Ventnor - however...

...as I want it in either Normandy / Belgium / Holland I will be going with a grey roof and darker stonework - wow this is fun - and the GB hasn't even started yet :mental:

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

X, don't forget, stone in the Normandy region is similar to England, primarily sandstone or limestone.

Looking at the picture of St.Boniface, the roof tiles seem to be

Lincolnshire 'pan', origin Roman!

• Like 3

50 minutes ago, PhoenixII said:

X, don't forget, stone in the Normandy region is similar to England, primarily sandstone or limestone.

Looking at the picture of St.Boniface, the roof tiles seem to be

Lincolnshire 'pan', origin Roman!

I like the colours of this one...

nijmegen-09.jpg

The St. Nicolas chapel, one of the oldest stone constructions in The Netherlands (1030)

I like the grey 'slate' roof and the dark stonework on the front - with the lighter grout - it' near Nijmegen.

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, BIG X said:

I like the colours of this one...

nijmegen-09.jpg

The St. Nicolas chapel, one of the oldest stone constructions in The Netherlands (1030)

I like the grey 'slate' roof and the dark stonework on the front - with the lighter grout - it' near Nijmegen.

Yes, slate roof, rather dirty sandstone and brick construction.

The pale mortar between the stone courses will be lime, as stone 'breaths' and will push out modern concrete based mortar. 

Paul

• Like 4

11 minutes ago, Ventora3300 said:

Looking forward to the scratch-built gravestones.......

OMG - hadn't thought of that...

• Haha 2

19 hours ago, Mjwomack said:

Pretty please, can I play with the big boys?

This brought on a lot of nostalgia, I thought of an HMS Hotspur, because it was my first ship kit and a reward for swimming 25 metres (wot a swiz, eh? It had only been 25 yards the year before; I should've swam faster. But I kept missing out on it. Next up was a Herald of Free Enterprise as the ship I'd always wanted to build but never did. Sadly as rare now as they were then, but a lot more expensive.

Then I stumbled across this...

https://www.scalemates.com/kits/182105-airfix-r204-b-r-lowmac-14-ton 

That was until I encountered it on a 2nd hand site. I had no idea it existed, though I've seen the lowmac without any load several times. Still a bit pricey, so I've brought the lowmac and the job as separate dipole repos and saved a slug of money.

Is that eliigible please?

You have done very well here, Mjwomack, - very, very interesting - here is what the link in the Airfix catalogue says:

Lowmac and J.C.B.3
[R204]

The description below is taken from the Airfix catalogue this kit was first seen in. There may also be extra information underneath the main description.

Airfix Catalogue description:

A detailed 60-part kit making two superb models - one of the low loading machinery wagon Lowmac, and the other of the J.C.B.3 Hydraulic Excavator/Loader which is the type of machinery commonly carried by the Lowmac. Complete with transfers.

- From 3rd Edition (1964)

My early self used my pocket money on buying rolling stock from the Triang Hornby trainset range (I started with 'The Midlander'), before I got into modelling kits, and I have often wondered since if there was a link between the assembled rolling stock in their boxes and the kits issued by Airfix - it is looking like Dapol took on many of the molds (even Big X's Village Church!!).

That's what I like about this GB - the range of kits which can be covered is immense - I think we'll be asking for an extension before we even get started!!

• Like 2

Hmmm...  I have an Airfix control tower in the stash too.  It's reputed to be as inaccurate as the pontoon bridge - but I doubt I could get away with it in a Northern European town scene - unless....

No...

...I was wondering what it would look like with a thatched roof or Dutch tiling - maybe :mental:

• Like 3

53 minutes ago, vppelt68 said:

Would you mind letting me know which magazine you picked up, please?! V-P

It's Combat Machines No. 03 by www.keypublishing.com. Got it beside 'Aeroplane' in Sainsbury's. Good stuff in it.....

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I had a crazy idea today - 'nothing new there then' I hear you say...

Windmills...  The countryside and villages of wartime Holland must have been littered with windmills - they didn't pack them away for the war after all.  Whilst 'researching' :smartass: my vintage Airfix church I came across a windmill - but the connection didn't hit me at first :mental:

So I've just sent off for one of these...

Type%202%20Windmill.jpg

...apparently it was first released in 1958 and appeared in the first Airfix catalogue in 1962 - so I think it qualifies :giggle:

I have no idea how 'accurate' it is - because I know nothing about windmills - but it 'looks Dutch' to me... :D

• Like 4

13 hours ago, BIG X said:

I had a crazy idea today - 'nothing new there then' I hear you say...

Windmills...  The countryside and villages of wartime Holland must have been littered with windmills - they didn't pack them away for the war after all.  Whilst 'researching' :smartass: my vintage Airfix church I came across a windmill - but the connection didn't hit me at first :mental:

So I've just sent off for one of these...

...apparently it was first released in 1958 and appeared in the first Airfix catalogue in 1962 - so I think it qualifies :giggle:

I have no idea how 'accurate' it is - because I know nothing about windmills - but it 'looks Dutch' to me... :D

Looking like some interesting projects you have lined up there!!

Kind Regards

Ben

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, badger said:

Looking like some interesting projects you have lined up there!!

Kind Regards

Ben

Hi Ben

I may have bitten off more than I can chew - for the time permitted.  My focus will be the pontoon of course - as that is what I got my hands on first.  But at a massive 12 pieces or thereabouts - I can probably stretch that out to a good couple of weeks at least.  Then there is the K2Y - which could take a month of fettling and looking at the wavy nature of all the parts in the church I might struggle just to get that to go together at all.  But hey - who could resist a windmill...

• Like 3

2 hours ago, BIG X said:

Hi Ben

I may have bitten off more than I can chew - for the time permitted.

I always do - I haven't finished a GB in a few years, despite starting a few!

Having said that I don't recollect signing up for this one, but I'll give it a go.

I've been fancying building the Coles Crane from the RAF Recovery set for a while, and spent some time over the last few weeks researching it. As scalemates have the kit first released in 1972 I could build it in this GB. My boxing is from the 90's but I gather that doesn't matter.

I won't be doing the Queen Mary trailer and Bedford OXC as that has a very nice, complete, resin replacement for the Bedford, (the Airfix one is way underscale), so would be outside of the scope of the GB.

There are no aftermarket sets for the Coles, so some good old scratch building and fettling will be the order of the day. It'll be finished (hopefully!!) along the lines of the one seen in the "Nightbombers" documentary film (on youtube) in SCC15 / disruptive black with a yellow top and tip to the jib.

Sean (vindicareassassain) built one on here a couple of years ago that is my main reference as to the detailing / corrections required

Once more unto the breach!!

Ben

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Ted said:

Can I join? It's a toss up between either of these two kits:

171591-12155-pristine

2010048_160218105900_2

Build both!!

My father did the range of Airfix 54mm figures in my youth and introduced me into the world of modelling

• Like 5

51 minutes ago, badger said:

Build both!!

My father did the range of Airfix 54mm figures in my youth and introduced me into the world of modelling

I agree - why build one when you can build more than one :D

Also - aren't / weren't dad's amazing guys - mine was a steel worker and after coming home after a tough night shift he always had time for his little lad and the patience of a saint when it came to helping me butcher an Airfix kit that he had bought me from the local paper shop on his weary way home.

Thanks dad - I hope I did you proud...

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

4 hours ago, Ted said:

Can I join? It's a toss up between either of these two kits:

171591-12155-pristine

2010048_160218105900_2

You sure can!

welcome aboard - interesting choice of subject(s) 👍

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, BIG X said:

Also - aren't / weren't dad's amazing guys

Indeed - mine did 25 years in the army and was frequently posted off to some "interesting" places for a great deal of my childhood.

He always found time to run me to the local model shop (was further than I could walk) and frequently contributed when my pocket money wasn't enough to pay for the kit I wanted (usually a matchbox tank).

On holiday he'd always find time to ensure I got to go to a museum despite my much younger brothers wanting to be on the beach.

He took me to my first Telford show when it used to be at Donnington race course and dragged himself out of bed at 5 in the morning to take an over excited 12 yr old me. We did it every year until I moved away to uni.

2 years ago he built me a spray booth with extractor fans, turntable and led lighting for my garage, so in return I've taught him how to use an airbrush and sorted him out a decent setup so he can finally start painting a collection of vintage car kits he has built up over the years now he's retired and has time.

Heres to dads! :drink:

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1